OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am now close to a month into dosing 2ml Reef Energy daily and 2ml Coral Colors weekly and am happy to say that my acro death has completely reversed course and the sticks are starting to look a lot better now. I guess it was lack of nutrients that was causing them to die off. Here are some updated pictures of the sticks from the tank. I hope to take monthly pictures to document their progress.

@saltyfilmfolks @fragit - thanks for hinting that my corals might just have been starving :)

Pictures as of 09/27/16:

Purple Bonzai:
(this one was one of the sticks that was going downhill fast as you can see from tissue loss in the picture. But it has colored up well and has not lost any more tissue. It is also starting to encrust off the plug and onto the rock.

Purple%20Bonzai_zpszvrbvpdy.jpg

Miami Orchid:

Miami%20Orchid_zpsosk6iago.jpg

PC Rainbow:
(this is another that started losing flesh on the tips which I had to chop off. It is starting to color up quite well now. The second picture was taken exactly one month back on 8/26 and you can see the difference in the encrusting. I had to cut the one dead stalk off).

PC%20Rainbow_zpsrfokxfzf.jpg

PC%20Rainbow_zpsfg4ekdnk.jpg

Pink Jade:

Pink%20Jade_zpsxen85czl.jpg

These are some of my newer frags (all less than a month old) that were added after I started dosing Reef Energy

SC Orange Passion:

SC%20OP_zpsnqv5yfxj.jpg

UC Bali Shortake:

UC%20Bali%20SC_zps6ihubhfw.jpg

UC Red Dragon:

Red%20Dragon_zpsjoahgydu.jpg

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm slowly but surely inching my way towards water making independence! I got the water containers in and put together on stands. Salt and pump came in today. I plan to mount the RODI unit tomorrow and then it's just the plumbing part that's left over. Soon!!

1a2fb814189af0dfe31bbe167310782b.jpg

558a25c2d7ef398f67f7650792bdbd85.jpg

8ed7d5892d32cdc94ac0b671d9cc207d.jpg

How do you like the Hw marine? I just got a box for my new 75g build and I'm excited to try it!

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the Hw marine? I just got a box for my new 75g build and I'm excited to try it!

I have only made one batch of water so far, so I cannot comment on its effects on the tank life. However, what I can tell you is that it mixes very quickly and cleanly. I made 20 gallons of SW and had to use 11 cups of salt to get to 1.026. The parameters measured a little lower than advertised - Alk measured at 8.1dkh and Ca measured at 360. I want to make a few batches and take readings each time before I can get a good average for the parameters.

Mandrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only made one batch of water so far, so I cannot comment on its effects on the tank life. However, what I can tell you is that it mixes very quickly and cleanly. I made 20 gallons of SW and had to use 11 cups of salt to get to 1.026. The parameters measured a little lower than advertised - Alk measured at 8.1dkh and Ca measured at 360. I want to make a few batches and take readings each time before I can get a good average for the parameters.

I appreciate the info! I'm very interested to hear future readings from you!

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates?

Thanks for asking! I haven't had much time to take progress pictures of the tank. Will plan on doing that next week since I will have some time off from work.

As far as an update goes, the tank is doing well. All the frags are still encrusting and some of them have started sending out tiny new branches. The only thing I am still trying to get a handle on is the lighting and nutrients in the system. For some reason a lot of the sticks have lost their color. They are still healthy looking with no tissue loss or other damage. I think likely that they bleaching due to too much light. I am currently cutting back on the full spectrums gradually to see if that helps. I'm not sure light is the (only) cause though since the full specs were ramped up ever so slowly over the course of several months and the highest point in the tank is sitting at 380 PAR.

Regardless, I'll take some updated pictures soon.

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking! I haven't had much time to take progress pictures of the tank. Will plan on doing that next week since I will have some time off from work.

As far as an update goes, the tank is doing well. All the frags are still encrusting and some of them have started sending out tiny new branches. The only thing I am still trying to get a handle on is the lighting and nutrients in the system. For some reason a lot of the sticks have lost their color. They are still healthy looking with no tissue loss or other damage. I think likely that they bleaching due to too much light. I am currently cutting back on the full spectrums gradually to see if that helps. I'm not sure light is the (only) cause though since the full specs were ramped up ever so slowly over the course of several months and the highest point in the tank is sitting at 380 PAR.

my greenbirdsnest has started to bleach, but then he got better, and now hes meh

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

when you turn up the lights I have noted nutrient drops. Esp if you have a LOT of coral.

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you turn up the lights I have noted nutrient drops. Esp if you have a LOT of coral.

As you know my corals were starved for food to begin with, so I might have had a steeper hill to climb. I am also toying with the idea of running the skimmer only a few hours a day (instead of 24/7) to see if that helps any. I am still dosing Reef Energy and Coral Colors. I don't have a heavy load in my tank. Probably ~10 SPS (all frags at the moment), a few acans, and some zoas and other LPS. Fish too is a very light load.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you know my corals were starved for food to begin with, so I might have had a steeper hill to climb. I am also toying with the idea of running the skimmer only a few hours a day (instead of 24/7) to see if that helps any. I am still dosing Reef Energy and Coral Colors. I don't have a heavy load in my tank. Probably ~10 SPS (all frags at the moment), a few acans, and some zoas and other LPS. Fish too is a very light load.
its a process. My tanks both seem to run low too. For years I though my tanks were "Dirty" tanks. guess not. Im actually feeding hard enough to surprise me.

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got around to taking some updated pictures of my tank. So here's a picture heavy post :)

Pictures taken on 01/07/17. Full Specs 25%; Actinic 10% (Ocean Revive).

FTS:

FTS_zpsgqjyfwjp.jpg

Acans:

Rainbow%20Acan_zpsb5zlipnl.jpg

Acan_zpsbijlilvc.jpg

Berry Shortcake:

Berry%20Shortcake_zps9qv2n67d.jpg

Berry%20Shortcake%20Overhead_zpscwopocxz.jpg

Cali Tort:

Cali%20Tort_zpsccllhcus.jpg

Cali%20Tort%20Overhead_zpsxaiexr3m.jpg

Clam:

Clam_zpscgaxjr6r.jpg

Frogspawn:

Frogspawn_zpspuqlkhdt.jpg

Frogspawn1_zpstcpvkis6.jpg

Miami Orchid:

Miami%20Orchid_zps1vrcgdgo.jpg

Miami%20Orchid%20Overhead_zps3uqlvw9x.jpg

BTA:

Nem_zpsp3vffgt5.jpg

Nem1_zpskkihotvm.jpg

PC Rainbow:

PC%20Rainbow_zpsi6ohm1q4.jpg

PC%20Rainbow%20Overhead_zpsfeodu7vd.jpg

Red Dragon:

Red%20Dragon_zpsytgmtcmr.jpg

SC Orange Passion:

SCOP_zpsftqg0f6p.jpg

SCOP%20Overhead_zpsrbvnrwtp.jpg

Torch:

Torch_zpsagjbcr9g.jpg

Tyree Blue Tip Stag:

Tyree%20Blue%20Tip%20Stag1_zpsbsb2v1en.jpg

Wolverine (not the real deal, but it was listed as a Wolverine on a vendor website)

Wolverine_zpst3l3hzcf.jpg

Royal Gramma:

Royal%20Gramma_zpsa8nloyfy.jpg

And my newest addition to the tank. A Blue Star Leopard Wrasse:

Wrasse1_zpsjqzqswdg.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%
Back