OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! I'm right at about the 8 month mark now on the system itself and probably ~6 months at most on most frags. I am quite pleased with the progress so far and hope it continues to trend upwards!

I do have a question on one of my frags that I am on the fence about. Back when my system was lacking nutrients and some of the sticks died, the Miami Orchid seemed to lose a little tissue towards the base of the main stalk (as you can see in the picture). There is a little bit of algae growing on the dead tissue. The healthy part seems to be growing over the dead portion ever so slowly. What do you y'all suggest I do? Leave it be and let it eventually cover the dead part, or cut the main stalk to get rid of the dead portion and glue the remainder to the rock? Since it is on the main stalk I'm a little hesitant to snip away. But then again, I don't also want the algae to start affecting the entire stalk (it doesn't seem to be spreading right now).

Here is the picture again for reference. You can see the dead tissue towards the base of the main stalk.

Miami%20Orchid_zpsebsouec8.jpg

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BlueDevil

Bro, it's update time!

Everything is just humming along right now. The sticks are showing good growth. Its the color that I am now waiting on. I am tinkering with the NO3 levels a little now to see if that helps. I started out wanting to maintain an ULNS but I have found through actual results, and also lots of reading that that is not the way to go if I want to see healthy corals. So, I am slowly bumping up and maintaining the NO3 to about 2 and keeping PO4 below 0.02 to see if that helps with the colors. It's only been a couple of weeks since this experiment started so it will take a little while before I see any noticeable results. I am using the ME Coral Nitrate additive that Caleb recommended. They claim it increases NO3 without increasing PO4 so I'm giving that a shot. I know others have used it but there is no way I'll ever let things like stump remover get anywhere near my tank. I'm just not sure about the purity of such products.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know others have used it but there is no way I'll ever let things like stump remover get anywhere near my tank.

I've wandered this myself, and would love to see your results. Please keep us posted about the product.

Also, terrible question I know, but what is the price on the ME as compared to stump remover?

Most stuff that is made specifically for reefing is also made specifically to affect the wallet! Lol.

OP
OP
BlueDevil

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wandered this myself, and would love to see your results. Please keep us posted about the product.

Also, terrible question I know, but what is the price on the ME?

Most stuff that is made specifically for reefing is also made specifically to affect the wallet! Lol.

Ain't that the truth! This stuff isn't too pricey. $12.99 for a 16oz bottle, which should last for quite some time. Let me warn you though - the shipping on it is steep ($10)! It would help if you know anyone else ordering stuff from them to split shipping with you. Otherwise it ends up being a $22.99 bottle of the product.

Now if I could get lab grade potassium nitrate, I would definitely go that route, if it is cheaper. I just don't trust the factories that produce stump remover enough to know that there won't be any other trace chemicals mixed in it. Am I overreacting? Possibly. But something that is going into the tank, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not to bad at all, 10 bucks for peace of mind.

An chance you could pm me the glassshop where you had baffles cut?

Also if you check my build, I could use input on sump layout!

Thanks Yash, you've been a lot of help in my process!

Reeflogic