40 breeder ideas

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m flirting with upgrading my 20 long to a 40 breeder. I need some fish ideas. Must be compatible with clownfish, a blue damsel and a fire shrimp and corals. I’m not really interested in firefish, royal gamma, cardinals and chromis. Go!

Last edited:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Westoncase

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the wrasse idea, what about gobies and or blennies?

Yes, a goby and blenny should be in every tank. Yellow watchman goby and tailspot blenny would be good choices.

I agree with @mattzang about finding out which damsel you have. There are lots of species of blue damsels, and not all of them will be good tankmates.

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get rid of the damsel. I have a 40 breeder with two clowns, a tailspot blenny, a McCosker's wrasse, a Christmas wrasse (which I think might actually be a red-line wrasse), a royal gramma and a cleaner shrimp. Everyone gets along. I'd like to add a pair of watchman gobies and then I might be done stocking fish.

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO it's nice to have a mix of fish that occupy different areas. The clowns swim but hang in their anemone. A blenny is a peaceful addition that hangs within the rocks. The wrasses are nice because they swim in the open and all over the tanks, and gobies occupy the sand down low.

OP
OP
Westoncase

Westoncase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a goby and blenny should be in every tank. Yellow watchman goby and tailspot blenny would be good choices.

I agree with @mattzang about finding out which damsel you have. There are lots of species of blue damsels, and not all of them will be good tankmates.

I think the scientific name of the damsel I have is Chrysiptera cyanea. Could be wrong they all seem the same.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the scientific name of the damsel I have is Chrysiptera cyanea. Could be wrong they all seem the same.
If it's any in the Chrysiptera genus, you shouldn't have much trouble. Clowns can handle themselves, and blennies and gobies most likely won't be noticed.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back