40 Breeder Stand DIY

BigTerp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning a 40 breeder with 20 long sump build. Came across this DIY stand, that looks really nice. Curious if anyone has built this particular stand and how it went?

OP
OP
BigTerp

BigTerp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't built it. Build it and report back!
HA!! That's the plan. Was hoping a few others had followed this DIY and might have some tips and tricks. This will be the first step in the LONG process of building my system. I'll be sure to do a write up once I get started.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wood is a bit outdated for this hobby in my opinion… check out this thread

I think the cost is the same or maybe even less , im currently in the process of adding a 50 cube to my system, and will definitely use aluminum slotted rails for the stand… I get my 3030 rails from ZYLtech.com Best prices ever!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used @RocketEngineer 's plan which has some similarities:

Stand.JPG

In either case, for a 40B tank, both plans are over engineered. I can't believe they skinned your linked plans with 3/4 plywood. That stand can support an elephant. Either plan will work just fine. Here's my stand frame before skinning with plywood:

1656505202782.png

Note this was for a five foot tank with no center brace and that is why 2x6 was used as the top brace.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wood is a bit outdated for this hobby in my opinion… check out this thread

I think the cost is the same or maybe even less , im currently in the process of adding a 50 cube to my system, and will definitely use aluminum slotted rails for the stand… I get my 3030 rails from ZYLtech.com Best prices ever!
I second this. T Slot is very nice and you never have to worry about it. Not to mention, when you upgrade, a lot of times you can reuse pieces from the old stand lol.

OP
OP
BigTerp

BigTerp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses!!

@redfishbluefish agreed the plan I posted is WAY over engineered.

Excellent advice on the T slot aluminum. I really like the idea of having everything pre-cut and me just having to put things together. Any plans/ideas for doors and sump floors with the T slot?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses!!

@redfishbluefish agreed the plan I posted is WAY over engineered.

Excellent advice on the T slot aluminum. I really like the idea of having everything pre-cut and me just having to put things together. Any plans/ideas for doors and sump floors with the T slot?
They make T slot hinges that bolt to the tslot and then you can bolt to doors, you can do magnetic panels that pop on and off (my preferred way), litteraly 100s of options to a skin the tank, add shelves, make holders for doing pumps, etc.

OP
OP
BigTerp

BigTerp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make T slot hinges that bolt to the tslot and then you can bolt to doors, you can do magnetic panels that pop on and off (my preferred way), litteraly 100s of options to a skin the tank, add shelves, make holders for doing pumps, etc.
Perfect!! I like sleek and simple. Magnetic panels sound like a simple solution to access the the bottom of the stand.

OP
OP
BigTerp

BigTerp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of T slot aluminum. Never realized you could customize them as much as you can. Light racks, magnetic doors/skins, etc. ,etc. Been researching all morning and did have one additional question. Are those that are doing T slot stands putting some sort of solid top on to support their tanks? If so, what are most using for this? Seems like just using the T slot frame to support a tank would leave almost the entire bottom of the tank unsupported, which seems sketchy to me.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this Florida Aquarium Society design. It is what I used for my 40 breeder/20 gallon sump. See my build thread. One thing to note, I wish I had made my stand wider and slightly deeper. The cords to all the equipment are a pain to deal with and needed more room.

OP
OP
BigTerp

BigTerp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this Florida Aquarium Society design. It is what I used for my 40 breeder/20 gallon sump. See my build thread. One thing to note, I wish I had made my stand wider and slightly deeper. The cords to all the equipment are a pain to deal with and needed more room.

Thanks!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back