40 Breeder stocking ideas?

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder I am hoping to set up later this year and am looking for stocking recommendations! Preference on utilitarian fish that are reef safe, I plan to have a mixed reef with mostly LPS but some easy SPS as well. Only softies I may add would be something like zoas. If I do add non utilitarian fish it would probably be something like a pair of clowns or cardinals, or even a small group of chromis. Thanks all!

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the nano fish out there really give you the opportunity to have a large number of fish without the space issue of a 3 foot footprint and waste issues of a tank that holds around 45 gallons of water. Stay away from territorial and aggressive fish. Any of the bristletooth tangs will be temporary residents. You could get away with an ornate wrasse. I have both an ornate leopard and a white tail kole tang. I've had the tang for two years and I anticipate I'll be trading him in for a baby sibling within the next year or so.

OP
OP
aydemir

aydemir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the nano fish out there really give you the opportunity to have a large number of fish without the space issue of a 3 foot footprint and waste issues of a tank that holds around 45 gallons of water. Stay away from territorial and aggressive fish. Any of the bristletooth tangs will be temporary residents. You could get away with an ornate wrasse. I have both an ornate leopard and a white tail kole tang. I've had the tang for two years and I anticipate I'll be trading him in for a baby sibling within the next year or so.
Thanks! Yeah I've heard/seen some reefers keep juvenille tangs in smaller tanks but I'm not sure if I would go that route unless I knew for sure I would upgrade in the near future - probably wouldn't be able to upgrade for at least 2-3 years so not sure if that's too long to keep even the smallest of tangs in a 40B. Would a six line wrasse bother shrimps and small inverts?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back