40 breeder stocking list

Is this overstocked

• Total voters

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 40 breeder soft and lps reef tank and I’m hopping to get some input on my stocking list. I will be filtering with a aquamax hob 1.5 skimmer, and a hob filter with some media and weekly water changes. My list is:

1 or 2 wrasses(haven’t narrowed down what type yet)
Possibly a coral beauty angel
2 ocillaris clownfish(definitely misspelled that)
Either a small goby or a blenny
And possibly one of the smaller toby puffers

Does this sound like two much fish? Obviously it is gonna have higher nutrients but that is why I decided to go with mostly soft corals. Any advice or input in appreciated.

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me! I would avoid the puffer though, especially if you want inverts. I have three captive-bred angelfish and I have found that they are less likely to pick on coral. Biota has a captive-bred Coral Beauty on LiveAquaria if you are interested. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano that can fill my need for inverts. But I’m willing to miss out on shrimp and crabs, and possibly snails if it means I can have a puffer

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty similar to what I am planning for mine

Valentini
Coral Angel Beauty
Neon Dottyback
Scissortail Dartfish
Blood Orange Clown

Might finish up with a small blood orange clown and/or a lawnmower blenny. My nano has all of my inverts right now..

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend a coral beauty for a 40 breeder. A smaller (pygmy type) dwarf angel would work better, like a cherub, flameback, yellow tail, etc.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot people in this thread really hit the nail on the head with their advice.

The coral beauty, while apparently one of the more reef safe angel choices, can/will pick at corals. I have no issue with one in a 40b but a pygmy angel would also not be a bad choice.

Wrasses are great reef fish and I would consult the holy texts (Here and Here) when making choices. A 40b is good for flaher wrasses and maybe the smallest of fairies as well and the sand sleepers if you have enough substrate.

I am not knowledgeable in puffers, but I understand that they are not necessarily the most reef safe option, but you never know.

I have 7 fish in my 40b now and have had 8-9 at one point in time, so it all is a matter of keeping your water chemistry stable and at levels you are content with.

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot people in this thread really hit the nail on the head with their advice.

The coral beauty, while apparently one of the more reef safe angel choices, can/will pick at corals. I have no issue with one in a 40b but a pygmy angel would also not be a bad choice.

Wrasses are great reef fish and I would consult the holy texts (Here and Here) when making choices. A 40b is good for flaher wrasses and maybe the smallest of fairies as well and the sand sleepers if you have enough substrate.

I am not knowledgeable in puffers, but I understand that they are not necessarily the most reef safe option, but you never know.

I have 7 fish in my 40b now and have had 8-9 at one point in time, so it all is a matter of keeping your water chemistry stable and at levels you are content with.
In my nano, I have the high quality coral and stuff. I got this tank though to focus on the fish, but I don’t want it to be Fowler. That being said, I am willing to sacrifice not having certain corals if it means that I can have a coral beauty and a puffer. I know the Pygmy are more reef safe but in my opinion the coral beauty looks much better. With me taking the chance, and the angel decides to nip at coral, will it eat every coral? Because if it just means I can’t have certain corals I’m fine with that

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that angels that nip at coral enjoy the big meaty corals like acans and lobos. I have only heard a few that nip at sps and softies. So I would avoid meaty lps corals more than the others.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the Pygmy are more reef safe but in my opinion the coral beauty looks much better. With me taking the chance, and the angel decides to nip at coral, will it eat every coral? Because if it just means I can’t have certain corals I’m fine with that

Coral beauty angels aren't any less reef safe than any that I mentioned. Coral beauties are commonly kept in reefs, and are generally well behaved. Lemon peels and eibliis are infamous for nipping.

You think coral beauties look better than flame backs? Whatever floats your boat, I guess...

As mentioned, fleshy LPS are usually the most risky. They can nip at Acros too, though, causing loss of polyp extension in some cases.

The reason I recommend the smaller angels is because a 40 breeder isn't enough room for an adult coral beauty. LA recommends 70 gallons minimum, for example. Somewhere in the standard 55 to standard 75 is probably about right, in my opinion.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that angels that nip at coral enjoy the big meaty corals like acans and lobos. I have only heard a few that nip at sps and softies. So I would avoid meaty lps corals more than the others.
I’ve never heard of a Euphyllia being picked at, so I would say those are pretty safe with angels too.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to be a bit conservative so my take is.. if you are going to keep puffers and angels then don't keep corals in that tank.. Corals are animals too and cant defend themselves like other fish might be able to. So I would stick with softies here but have seen angels nip at zoas before.

I would tend to keep the smaller Blennies rather than gobies. Like a Tailspot or a bicolor or flametail.. If you are not keeping inverts you might consider a basslet. Make sure you have hidey holes for them to stick their faces out from.. make for some nice conversation and fun to watch them back into a hole.

For Wrasses in a 40B (well covered) Fairy and Flasher are my choice but a nice yellow coris or 6 line would work in that tank if expense is an object.

I guess it may be a crapshoot all around but without practical experience .. when all is said and done.. the only fish I would say no to in a 40 B is that Coral Beauty. Tank size and possible disposition (coral Pickers) being the reasons. I have seen Ocellaris clowns in the 5 inch range one time.. Just once though... :)

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty similar to what I am planning for mine

Valentini
Coral Angel Beauty
Neon Dottyback
Scissortail Dartfish
Blood Orange Clown

Might finish up with a small blood orange clown and/or a lawnmower blenny. My nano has all of my inverts right now..
NO!! Please don’t get a neon dottyback. They are horrible creatures, and their sole intent is to cause pain and suffering. If you have to have one though, don’t get a dart fish. I made that mistake...

F8DA08D5-0FF2-41E5-9B56-3454FE5721F7.jpeg 57B5C71A-3E88-44E8-BED5-4F530009A791.jpeg

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral beauty angels aren't any less reef safe than any that I mentioned. Coral beauties are commonly kept in reefs, and are generally well behaved. Lemon peels and eibliis are infamous for nipping.

You think coral beauties look better than flame backs? Whatever floats your boat, I guess...

As mentioned, fleshy LPS are usually the most risky. They can nip at Acros too, though, causing loss of polyp extension in some cases.

The reason I recommend the smaller angels is because a 40 breeder isn't enough room for an adult coral beauty. LA recommends 70 gallons minimum, for example. Somewhere in the standard 55 to standard 75 is probably about right, in my opinion.
Haha I just think the blue is what makes them so pretty and it seems like way more people have the flame angel anyway. Also, I should have said this before, I’m a sophomore in high school and college is not too far away so most of these fish will not make it to their max size being that I will have to tear it down in a few years

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Christmas and flasher would be good, but I’ve heard the the only optins for fairies are lubbocki complex and the lunatus complex.
So there shouldn’t be too much aggression as long as I add them at the same time correct? Or do you recommend a pair or trio of flashers instead of a flasher and Christmas?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back