40 gal cube build

TheAgileSlug

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with a dirty used 40 gallon Reef Savvy, and slowly pecking away at getting it up and running. Probably still be a couple of months before it even sees corals, but I wanted to start my thread as things progress. The research has been fun, and I'm open to suggestions, as there is still quite a bit that I have to purchase and plan for.

Tank
  • 40 gal Reef Savvy
    • This thing was pretty gnarly when I picked it up... The previous owner(s) appear to have been using a razor on the edges so I'm recaulking the corner beads, and I'll be adding new vinyl on the back. It cleaned up really well, but I'll post some updates after I get the vinyl and caulking on.

1684591195402.png
Stand
  • 3030 T-Slot
    • The existing stand was rotted out, so when I bought the used tank and sump, I just threw it out. This slowed things down but gave me the time to look into options. I went with 3030 T-slot and am so happy with the decision thus far. I also installed leveling feet, and with my old house, it was one of the smarter decisions. Probably one of the major factors for using T-slot, outside of avoiding rot.

1684590951611.png
    • I secure marine board on the bottom (sump) shelf and the top. I'll be laying down cork under the tank to help keep it stable, it is pretty slick, and in hindsight I should have gone with something else for the tank shelf, so I may need to actually look into some options if it moves at all. I still have to cut the hole for the bulkheads in the top shelf.

1684594139113.png

• I also used a recommendation from another thread to use Buttonfix and these things are awesome. I secured the top with them and they fit extremely well with the T-Slot. I'll be using them to sleeve the sides once everything is in place.

1684590847826.png
Sump
  • Came with the tank. It's acrylic and will likely work fine for my first build.

1684591236326.png
Plumbing
  • This is still in planning. Once the tank and stand are ready, I will plumb it in.
  • I want to use colored plumbing, but still might end up going with schedule 80. I need to do some more research on the BRS schedule 40 stuff to see how well it holds up.
  • The tank only has two holes in the overflow, one for the overflow and one for the return. I'm debating running the return on the outside of the tank so I can have an emergency overflow.
Electric
  • I plan on installing a dedicated GFCI, and while this isn't really necessarily part of the tank, it's a project that needs done before I stand everything up.
Pump
  • Eyeballing the SICCE Syncra SDC 3.0. I want a DC pump to ensure as much control as possible.
Skimmer
  • Looking at Bubble Magus BM-Curve 5 or Reef Octopus
Light
  • Looking at the AI Prime 16HD
Powerhead
  • Still researching, but likely go with DC for fine-tuned control.
Heater
  • Still researching.

UV Sterilizer
  • Unsure if I'm going to add this in, but I will have to make a decision with my plumbing plans.
Dosing
  • It's a small tank, so I think I'm probably going to dose manually.
Anyway ... I'm obviously itching to start a deep dive into my coral research and get them in the tank, but the build process has been quite enjoyable so far. I'm really excited about this hobby and I'm glad I'm taking my time pecking away at the build.

Last edited:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow!!! This is a true diamond in the rough! There is a lot to like about the system and the plans beyond the tank as well - congratulations on the new adventure!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back