OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i seem to have gotten my water under control along with the algae that was covering the sand and rocks. Things are definitely looking up sand is pearly white for the time being and my rocks are mostly algae free. I have been running skimmerless for about 3 weeks now and i just had my first nitrate reading the other day of around 5ppm red sea test. I think my issues were directly related to my water source. I started buying jugs of distilled water and doing weekly water changes of about 5 gallons and things have cleared right up and my few corals are starting to come back around. I will be replacing rodi filters in the near future so i dont have to lug all these gallon jugs around. After that i will look into replacing my skimmer pump, but i think weekly waterchanges are keeping things in check so far with my bioload being so light right now. I also noticed an aggressive amount of pods show up over the last few weeks along with a few bristleworms (atleast i think they are bristleworms). If all continues to trend up ward i will look to be adding more corals and live stock to the tank come March and see where it takes me.

Also not sure if there are any mods in here but i just noticed that this thread is in the general reef discussion and it is supposed to be my build thread any way it can be moved?? Thanks

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also not sure if there are any mods in here but i just noticed that this thread is in the general reef discussion and it is supposed to be my build thread any way it can be moved?? Thanks
I'll move it for you. :)

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll move it for you. :)
Thanks
They can move it, tag one of them like @mdbannister for example. And what sort of skimmer pump are you going to change to? Is the current one messed up?
I have a reef octopus classic 110 its the old model probably about 10 years old by now and the pump went on it a few weeks ago so need to get a new one but funds are tight and naturally everything happens at once. I needed salt new ro/di filter and skimmer pumo hit all at once so have to break up my purchases.
It was strange though i went just better than 2 weeks without a skimmer and had 0 nitrate readings with virtually no export other than weekly water changes.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going swimmingly lately my water parameters have been for the most part stable i have been doing water changes about every 10 days or so sometimes a little longer and the algae issues i was having have subsided. I have a few spots of GHA sprouting up along with some bubble algae but i am not too concerned about this stuff ill just grab some more snails when i go to the LFS next. I also have a red/brownish algae growing across some of my rock work, its not light and fluffy like cyano i have to really scrape it off so i just let it lay. I have also noticed an abundance of pods and bristle worms and even some hydroids show up over the last month or so which is crazy because i have never seen them in there before but awesome to see.
Yesterday i put in for my first online order for 2 new corals a purple and lime green hammer, a plating montipora, and a fromia starfish. That stuff will be here on tuesday ill be sure to post some pictures. After that stuff settles i will be adding some new fish. I currently have a clown and a yellow watchman with his shrimp buddy but they are awfully shy so i am open for suggestions for fish with some good personality that will be out and about alot.

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! My 40B is 3 mo old. Working on eggcrate and mesh top to prevent .
Still debating on upgrading to my 1-HydroGalaxy 165w black box in canopy and deal w shadowing with canopy build.

E75C2777-A534-4C9B-9C48-2E044E91D55F.jpeg

912CC8F5-ACA0-4CD7-BA3C-65567144CF37.jpeg

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The egg crate has worked well enough for me so far. Shadowing really isnt too bad with my black box although i have it better than 12 inches off the water line. Also something to consider is removing the lenses off the leds in your black box (not sure if anything about that or not) would help spread the light out a little more.

What are your plans for your tank? i like your scape i wish i could have made mine reach a little higher in the tank like yours is.

Slammed01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of your tank with black box? Prob 2-3 more fish, cleaner shrimp and maybe some polyps/zoas or easy frags. Possibly build a canopy so I can actually use the black box light lol.

Mesh top complete
b8ce15703ccd7015e0bdbdecbd4c4668.jpg

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only pic i have is with just the blues on and it is too dark i will have to get one with the whites when i get home today. Your top looks very nice good work.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180322_155613.jpg
20180322_155902.jpg

I have a purple and green hammer on the way as well as a green montis cap hoping to slowly get more into the coral game over the next few months. Also adding a few more fish as well only 2 in there at the moment.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180331_184130.jpg
happy with how things look at the moment i have some GHA showing up here n there i added a few trochus snails todylay hoping to help that issue. I also added a blood red fire shrimp who is hiding but did come out to eat so not worried about him. Going to let things chill for awhile before any firther additions want to make sure things maintain at this level before spending more money. Also the next purchase needs to be a skimmer pump since i have been skimmerless for about 2 months now or linger . Thanks for taking a look

20180331_184130.jpg

20180331_184130.jpg

tcannon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use magnets or something to keep the front of the stand in place? I really love the look of it. You did a great job.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the original plan yes but the front panel actually fits in snug enough to stay put on its own thanks for the compliment

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately tank is doneso. I moved about a month ago and got everything setup at my new place and about a week ago i check on things only to hear my return pump screamin and water all over the floor. After i drained the tank i found a large crack across the back of the tank. I must have started it when i did the move and the added pressure from the water over a months time made it leak. I was able to salvage my livestock and give it to a friend of mine but im taking a break from fishtanks for awhile after that one lol.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
super bummed to hear that man. When I had a 20L in college one of the side panels busted in the move. I put all my livestock in a bucket and sold it in one go on craigslist. Threw the tank in the dumpster that same day and haven't had one since.

Mainly haven't had one bc life just wouldn't allow it to be a stable system. Soon tho i will rise again and have a 40 breeder. The tank is already in my garage, as well as the sump, skimmer and light.

I hope you get back in the game some day.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats exactly what is happening with me life doesnt allow time for it to thrive the way i want so have to ditch it for now. Plus i dont have a fish store close to me any more my go to closed so its eother petco or drive an hour plus so that killed it for me as well.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back