OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would separate the two and make one larger and smaller island. I try to put my rocks together so they look like one piece. It's tough to do but a hammer and chisel work quite well. If you're like me I changed my scape about 10 times after I filled the tank with water. Give you something to work on while the tank is cycling.

This is what I finally settled on for now. I think..............lol

Final%20aquascape%2040b_zpsegzf9ben.jpg
I like the island look myself but i like alot if caves and bridges too so idk. I feel like ill be the same way change its 10 20 times before i get anything even in the tank.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder.
I used two jebao rw 8's they are on the 2 setting and work well, I have mostly sps.
I purchased a sb 32 pro timer and am happy with it, enough power for a 40 to smoke sps in a tank that shallow, I like the color of it too.
Used egg crate for a top.
I have too much rock I think and plan on removing some to the sump one of these days.
I have a 50 lowboy frag tank and the 40 plumbed into a 125 sump and use the octopus 110 skimmer and it works great.
Also have a algae scrubber running in the sump.
babb91dd34e65e00649c6bb9c1303a56.jpg
946ea586161b80514df32d5d769ef4a8.jpg
307c5dc38d1099b8778808ff1e6b9c5e.jpg
Thats quite a setup you have there good to hear about the light im pondering it myself but may be a little more then i want to spend.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a dumb question but if your going to add a manifold to your plumbing it needs to come off of the return section correct? Never even considered reactors or anything but if down the road i want to add something i want to already have a way to do it from my existing plumbing.

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a dumb question but if your going to add a manifold to your plumbing it needs to come off of the return section correct? Never even considered reactors or anything but if down the road i want to add something i want to already have a way to do it from my existing plumbing.
Yes i would do it on the return plumbing. Make sure if you add reactors the pump is stronger to make for lost flow to the dt

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a5689f2cecb6717f8767b7d1d1a337ea.jpg
like this. I tapped in an algae scrubber in my manifold so far have no more room for anything else lol

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool i was thinking of just adding a T off the return then a valve to keep it shut off for now then down the road all i would have to do is add a section to it for whatever i may want to add. Return pump should be able to handle it i got a mag 7 which i think will end up being too much and need to be adjusted a little but better too much at this point then not enough.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice! 40br a great tanks I set one up but it had a leak so I upgraded to a 36" 90 gal. but sure do love the 40.
suggestion. I would add some branch and shelf rock to your current rock. take a hammer and bust up the bigger pieces if need be.
it will add depth to the scape.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have come to the conclusion that i need more rock to get any real depth to it, never really cared for the branch look but i see what you are saying a few may not look so bad if i can find them at my LFS (would rather avoid ordering anything). Who would have thought aqua-scaping could be difficult lol. My last tank i just remember throwing the rock in and moving it around a little and presto.
On another note my rodi came in yesterday so i should have everything i need to get some water in this thing by the weekend. I want to do a test run with tap to get my drain and return setup properly first and check for plumbing leaks (while the tank is in the basement still).

NHreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its definitely coming together. Have you decided anything for lights yet?

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been back and forth quite a bit havent landed on anything yet. Probably between the mars aqua or one of the sb reef lights. I like the marine orbit pro but i have heard mixed reviews on it as far as growth n such so idk it will be the last thing i buy so i have some time. What kind of lights were you running on your 40?

NHreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 40 is still up and running. I have two black boxes with timers over it. I used to have an orbit over a 20 and they do work good for softies and lps, cool features too. I use that for my fuge now.

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been back and forth quite a bit havent landed on anything yet. Probably between the mars aqua or one of the sb reef lights. I like the marine orbit pro but i have heard mixed reviews on it as far as growth n such so idk it will be the last thing i buy so i have some time. What kind of lights were you running on your 40?
Ive heard very good things about sb reef lights. If i didnt get such a good deal on my 2 radion g2's I would've gotten those. They add more blues and purples to their boxes compared to the chinese black boxes

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard very good things about sb reef lights. If i didnt get such a good deal on my 2 radion g2's I would've gotten those. They add more blues and purples to their boxes compared to the chinese black boxes
I have heard nothing but good things as well but they may be a little more then i want to spend.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@NanaReefer just curious what do you have your pp-8s set at does it measure gph with the controller that comes with it? What kind of overflow are you using?

Pp3 are on W1 speed 3 slow wave. No flow measurement that I'm aware of. I just let my corals tell me-lol.
Love the "night mode" option which lowers them to 30% at lights out. Controllers have light sensors on them.
My overflow is the 700gph kit sold by Glass-Holes.com

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pp3 are on W1 speed 3 slow wave. No flow measurement that I'm aware of. I just let my corals tell me-lol.
Love the "night mode" option which lowers them to 30% at lights out. Controllers have light sensors on them.
My overflow is the 700gph kit sold by Glass-Holes.com
I was close to the jebao powerheads, and still may return what i have for a set of those i like that they come with a controller. I believe i read somewhere that you were having noise issues with the glass holes setup did you ever get anywhere with that? I have the same thing.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back