OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tokash23. I just looked up that t247 and want to thank you. Iv been so discouraged about putting LEDs on my 40B build, I know you get what you pay for but $800 of lights over a 40 gallon is just taking advantage of the hobby.
Seeing as I'm aiming more tward a softy/lps tank with maybe 1 or 2 sps which can be placed high in the middle, I'm really liking that option.
The reviews all seem great and photos of 1 fixture over a 40 only shows slight shadowing in corners, which is fine for me personally.

So thanks again for mentioning those lights.

Glad to help inadvertently ;). I have been back and forth on this light for awhile and like i said still havent made a decision yet. I dont want to really have limitations as to what i want to keep but am more into softies and lps myself so idk. Time will tell.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Atlantisdelux
Take a look at the SBReeflights 30 or 32" lights also. For a bit more money you will get much better coverage. The reefbreeders photon 24 or 32" should get consideration also.

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the ai primes? Was originally considering but i ditched the idea when i found out i had to get 2 for a 40. Im in between lights that i want...i would like to stay under $200 so im considering the mars aqua chinese black box but also like the arctic t247 i think it is. Have time to decide for the light though.

So far I like them. It's a new tank so I don't really know how the corals are going to do. I have a brain, torch and small SPS in there right now and they seem pretty happy. I like the minimalist look and the software. On my last 40 I had the Orbit Marine non-pro and it did a great job.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I like them. It's a new tank so I don't really know how the corals are going to do. I have a brain, torch and small SPS in there right now and they seem pretty happy. I like the minimalist look and the software. On my last 40 I had the Orbit Marine non-pro and it did a great job.
What were you keeping with the orbit? I saw it at my lfs but have heard mixed reviews for its growing power.

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were you keeping with the orbit? I saw it at my lfs but have heard mixed reviews for its growing power.

LPS,SPS. Goniopora, mushrooms, zoa's, birds nest, montipora and one acropora that was doing exceptionally well. I flooded the tank with kalk and lost just about everything. I wasn't dosing anything and had a HOB filter with no skimmer.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS,SPS. Goniopora, mushrooms, zoa's, birds nest, montipora and one acropora that was doing exceptionally well. I flooded the tank with kalk and lost just about everything. I wasn't dosing anything and had a HOB filter with no skimmer.
Thats quite a list sheesh...for the price it might be worth a shot hmm...

MermaidTail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a new 40 breeder after my last one had a kalk crash. I'm using one of the new Jabeo 6500 sine wave DC pumps. You can't even hear it running and it's right at $100. I liked it so much I bought a second one for the skimmer. Right now I'm running AI Prime HD's but I want to add an ATI Sunpower when I get the money.

Up%20and%20running_zpsl4hf9dzi.jpg

Gorgeous tank!!!

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far! Really good craftsmanship on the stand. You don't see many corners that are mitered so cleanly :) hopefully you get your lights figured out soon so that we can see this puppy up and running ;)

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good so far! Really good craftsmanship on the stand. You don't see many corners that are mitered so cleanly :) hopefully you get your lights figured out soon so that we can see this puppy up and running ;)
Took some time to do lol and i am certainly no carpenter but pretty decent with my hands when i put my mind to it. Things left on my list is an ro/di, powerheads, salt and rock, and finish the plumbing. Light will be last because i wont need it for the cycle anyways. Thanks for the compliments :)

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some time to do lol and i am certainly no carpenter but pretty decent with my hands when i put my mind to it. Things left on my list is an ro/di, powerheads, salt and rock, and finish the plumbing. Light will be last because i wont need it for the cycle anyways. Thanks for the compliments :)
Very nice. My two cents (because an extra opinion never hurt I guess:)). I made the mistake of going big on my RO/DI and spent close to 400 on a spectrapure five stage. After deciding I wanted to add another stage, I got the BRS add on and guess what... practically identical build. Come to find out pretty much all standard 10" units are basically the same with the biggest difference being the quality of the filter media. If I did it again I'd go with BRS.

I use Hydor Koralia powerheads and haven't had a single problem with them.

I just order some HW Marinemix (swapped from IO reef crystals for no particular reason). We will see how it works out.

And finally, on all my future builds I will go with dry/base rock. Less fun stuff, but also less chance for bad stuff.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. My two cents (because an extra opinion never hurt I guess:)). I made the mistake of going big on my RO/DI and spent close to 400 on a spectrapure five stage. After deciding I wanted to add another stage, I got the BRS add on and guess what... practically identical build. Come to find out pretty much all standard 10" units are basically the same with the biggest difference being the quality of the filter media. If I did it again I'd go with BRS.

I use Hydor Koralia powerheads and haven't had a single problem with them.

I just order some HW Marinemix (swapped from IO reef crystals for no particular reason). We will see how it works out.

And finally, on all my future builds I will go with dry/base rock. Less fun stuff, but also less chance for bad stuff.
Plan to use dry rock myself im in the same boat as not adding stuff that i dont want. Thanks for the tip on the ro/di i think im guna go with a refurbished spectrapure 90 gpd i have read they are as good as anything.
I was thinkin the jabeo powerheads because i like that they come with a controller, but i have also been lookin at the hydor so im a little undecided on that. Think ill need 2 powerheads? I suppose it depends on the size of them tho. Anyways things should be able to start back up sooner rather than later hopefully ill have some progress to post here [emoji482]

treedog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to throw this out there in case you didn't know or even thought about it. That overflow style that it appears you will be running based on the pics in the first page of your thread, will be very noisy and need constant adjustments to try and keep quiet. I had a tank with the exact same style you have and boy it was a pain, it seemed like every other day I would have to adjust my gate valve to compensate for gurgling in the overflow box. If you haven't added water yet I would consider drilling another hole or 2 and go with a herbie or beananimal style overflow. Just my 2 cents..

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats the second time i have heard that about the glass-holes setup and its rather discouraging but ill see how it goes.

Whipples

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same glass holes setup on my 40B and it was loud initially but I went and got several feet of airline tubing and put it down the "hush" port on the drain elbow until the noise was minimized. There is still some noise, but the hum of my kessil fans on the lights is louder than the drain at this point.

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a new 40 breeder after my last one had a kalk crash. I'm using one of the new Jabeo 6500 sine wave DC pumps. You can't even hear it running and it's right at $100. I liked it so much I bought a second one for the skimmer. Right now I'm running AI Prime HD's but I want to add an ATI Sunpower when I get the money.

Is that an Aqueon 40 with the rim removed?

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you remove the bracing?

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well finally got a few things going. Have an ro/di on the way and picked up some other essentials salt and about 40lbs of rock. Also grabbed a hydor koralia powerhead (only grabbed one 450) will probably have to get a second one when i get things going. Thoughts on the aquascape? Nothing set in stone i dont even think i care for it myself but opinions are welcome. Plumbing is glued together just waiting on some silicone to dry in the sump and might be able to do a test run with some tap water this week.

20170319_171141.jpg

20170318_140746.jpg

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would separate the two and make one larger and smaller island. I try to put my rocks together so they look like one piece. It's tough to do but a hammer and chisel work quite well. If you're like me I changed my scape about 10 times after I filled the tank with water. Give you something to work on while the tank is cycling.

This is what I finally settled on for now. I think..............lol

Final%20aquascape%2040b_zpsegzf9ben.jpg

Seanb1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder.
I used two jebao rw 8's they are on the 2 setting and work well, I have mostly sps.
I purchased a sb 32 pro timer and am happy with it, enough power for a 40 to smoke sps in a tank that shallow, I like the color of it too.
Used egg crate for a top.
I have too much rock I think and plan on removing some to the sump one of these days.
I have a 50 lowboy frag tank and the 40 plumbed into a 125 sump and use the octopus 110 skimmer and it works great.
Also have a algae scrubber running in the sump.
babb91dd34e65e00649c6bb9c1303a56.jpg
946ea586161b80514df32d5d769ef4a8.jpg
307c5dc38d1099b8778808ff1e6b9c5e.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back