40 gallon frag setup

Coopdod50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I'm starting this thread to help myself out a bit. I've got a Cobalt Aquatics CVue 40 that I'm not using at the moment and I decided to set it up as a frag tank. I won't actually be setting it up until I move from my dorm room to an actual house so I won't have to move it. I'm just looking for some advice, tips, and opinions of others. I'm not a beginner by any means, but I'd like to get the best equipment possible so any recommendations y'all have for lights, dosers, powerbeads, and other equipment that you guys use would be greatly appreciated. Stocking will be heavy on acros, chalices, and zoas but I'll likely have a little bit of everything. I'd also like to try and automate the system as much as possible (ie a trident system) so if anyone has experience with that please chime in. Any ideas are greatly appreciated and feel free to checkout my thread of my Waterbox 20 cube running in my dorm room https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dorm-room-waterbox-20.773269/#post-8433176
D610F5AA-F974-4B70-9DFE-98A50CBFE99C.jpeg

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a squarish tank? Those are tough as mixed frag tanks because they dont have a lot of horizontal room. This makes it tough to run SPS and softies because there's not a decent way to get different light levels.

Think about building some shelves made of black egg crate at different levels.

Lilmatty5dimes

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a squarish tank? Those are tough as mixed frag tanks because they dont have a lot of horizontal room. This makes it tough to run SPS and softies because there's not a decent way to get different light levels.

Think about building some shelves made of black egg crate at different levels.
Yea I know what you mean. I would build some rack with black eggcrate Or have some custom ones made for your tank. Definitely looks like a great start so far.

OP
OP
Coopdod50

Coopdod50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I've been MIA a bit because my schedule has gotten crazy between working on my private pilot's license and figuring out a school to transfer to because things aren't working out at my current school.

Anyways, I'm needing some help with a lighting selection for my upcoming 40g build. Right now the plan is to have a pretty mixed frag tank with a heavy Acro focus as well. I'm looking at doing the 24" ATI SunPower T5 and pairing it with some reefbrite strips. My question is what bulb combo would you guys recommend on the T5 and what Reefbrite strips would pair best with them? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
Coopdod50

Coopdod50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I know what you mean. I would build some rack with black eggcrate Or have some custom ones made for your tank. Definitely looks like a great start so far.
I definitely agree. I'm working on a design for a PVC "tree" to hold my Acro frags in the 40g I'm working on but I'm not sure how realistic my idea is.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back