40 gallon stocking options

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my fiancee's mom just got a 40 gallon bowfront tank and everything to go with. Nothing has been set up yet, the tank doesn't have water, sand or rock yet ( were waiting to rearrange her room to find a nice spot for it) and I just wanted to bring her some fish options. She really likes colourful fish and one of the ones she REALLY wants to add is a blenny of sorts. We currently have a midas blenny in our tank and she wants different fish in her tank so a midas is kinda off the table. If anyone has any good suggestions and what fish should go in first that would be really helpful! Thanks for all your help!

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add what fish we have in our tank to make it a little easier

A midas blenny
Valentini puffer
Cowfish
Mandarin dragonnet
Matted filefish
Two spot goby
A ghost ribbon eel

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tailspot blenny would be a small, colorful blenny.

Look into:
Firefish
clowns
royal gramma
chalk bass
longnose hawk
possum wrasse
yellow watchman goby

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a coloured filefish would be too big for a tank that size? It says it's fine on live aquaria but.. I much rather opinions from people who have been doing this longer than myself

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a coloured filefish would be too big for a tank that size? It says it's fine on live aquaria but.. I much rather opinions from people who have been doing this longer than myself

Excellent choice, I love those fish, under rated and overlooked, but can be difficult to get eating. If you are lucky enough to get one eating good then fine, otherwise you may have to start with live brine shrimp and live black worms, they will even eat live ghost shrimp. If you go with a valentini puffer, check out the saddle or leopard, they stay smaller and are less aggressive; the blue spot gets larger and more aggressive.

Tank is too small for the matted filefish, cowfish, or ghost ribbon eel.

Here's my redtail filefish

001.jpg

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my fiancee's mom just got a 40 gallon bowfront tank and everything to go with. Nothing has been set up yet, the tank doesn't have water, sand or rock yet ( were waiting to rearrange her room to find a nice spot for it) and I just wanted to bring her some fish options. She really likes colourful fish and one of the ones she REALLY wants to add is a blenny of sorts. We currently have a midas blenny in our tank and she wants different fish in her tank so a midas is kinda off the table. If anyone has any good suggestions and what fish should go in first that would be really helpful! Thanks for all your help!

Lots of Blennies that would work in a 40 gallon. Among my favorites:

Forktail Blenny
Harptail Blenny
Starry Blenny

Do you happen to know the dimensions on the 40 bowfront as that would help us with the rest of the stock list.

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is too small for the matted filefish, cowfish, or ghost ribbon eel.

I would never put those fish in her tank, those are in mine alone and are currently moving to 120 gallon

Do you happen to know the dimensions on the 40 bowfront as that would help us with the rest of the stock list.

I'll definitely measure when I get home, right now I'm out getting some food

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forktail Blenny

Well she decided on a fork tail blenny and shes going to put a coloured filefish... she wants to get a hawk nose but we told her that needs to go in last and be the last fish she puts in

OP
OP
Bunnyspit

Bunnyspit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine in my 55gal, I constantly make sure my tank had pods for him. Mine has been a lot of work, mostly about constantly checking to make sure hes full and happy

ech0o

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the most colorful fish for nano tanks in my opinion include;
Royal Gramma (A few other basslets as well)
Canary Blenny
Midas Blenny
Orchid Dottyback
Valentini Puffer
A few filefish species work
Dwarf Angels for sure!! (Flame, Bicolor, Eibli, Pygmy, Potters, the list goes on)
Clownfish
Starki Or Springers Damsels
Sand Sifting Gobies (Diamond's are pretty colorful)
Firefish
Clown Gobies (Many colors)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back