40 Gallon Stocking Question

abrichy41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! My tank is freshly cycled and I’m adding my first qt’d fish to my display. Now that they’re headed out of QT, I’d like to start qting the next round of fish.
That being said, I need opinions on my complete list of fish I’d like to add.
Currently I have
x2 Clowns
x1 Yellowtail damsel

I’d like to eventually add
x3 more damsels
x3 cardinalfish
x1 baby bristletooth tang
x1 diamond goby
x1 wrasse
And potentially a royal gramma
Is this list possible in a 40G tank?

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lfs and petco both told me in 2006 i needed atleast 5k to start this is bs they're upselling and charging you less for more,do your research,dont be a brandwhoooore(fluval Kent redsea )this hobby is price friendly enough for anybody to play whether you have 2 pennies to rub together or you got a 6 figure check a week their is a fish for everyone... dont buy into hype and always buy from a diver direct or breeder screw messing with a middleman the product gets marked up 1000% between point abcd to home by the time you get it its quadruple what you should've paid. I would maybe look into what you want do you want a Fowlr,do you want a macro garden,penisula(half macro half soft open on 3 sides) softy dom(zoas,mushrooms,leathers) mixed reef(all corals soft lps few sps) or sps dominate reef display

Upvote 0

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main thing to a reef system is microbial rich water you want alot of bacteria and microfauna and macro algae that way the fish can graze all day,the macro will help chleate excess nutrients such as no3 po4, the deeper the substrate the more fine filtration and more surface area is provided for bacteria same goes for rockwork we shoul follow takashi amano rule of third and atleast have 33%of our tank volume filled with rock and macro, I call this process seeding after you have seeded your tank this is the first step out of fowlr to a reef display, after the tank is seeded ad rotifers,pods and decapssled mysis or brine after a few weeks start adding soft coral wait a few month (4 to 5 add lps) 8months into system and you see cyanobacteria or coraline algae your system is mature enough for sps(8 months to a year) biological filtration is the most important and overlooked aspect nano systems(anything under 50g) we all wanna go hung ho with chemical and mechanical... but for a balanced system we need the trifecta of biologial,then mechanical second then chemical

Upvote 0

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so if you can’t tell I want that go big or go home.
Fish wise, I have something worked out for a bristletooth/kole tang with my LFS, as they get too big/aggressive we do a switcharoo.
I have a 40G breeder with the new FijiCube diy AIO kits filled with a bunch of marine pure biological filter gems, along with a fijicube nsk-70 nano skimmer. And the return pump is filtering at about 400GPH.
I have two red sea reefled50’s that are setup (not currently on, f the uglies) that have a or ranging between 90-300.
I plan on doing 20ish% water changes about twice a month, or until I get corals, then they’ll dictate how soon or often to replace nutrients.
This is my aquarium so far, with hopes to add rock wall to the back glass on both sides of the aio box to make a softy wall (Zoas on one side, Xenia and/or mushrooms on the other)

F5EE27E3-20A2-432C-8E30-E4D364820F5F.jpeg
I like how you marked the par on the glass good idea!

Upvote 0

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@abrichy41 another stocking could be
Your 2 Clowns yellow damsel

2 fire fish (or 2 chalk basslet)

3 sharknose cleaner goby

And a sandifting conch or group of nano conch

Fire fish are cheap and so are cleaner gobies(both 10 to 15$)

It's all personal preference really at the end of the day though and what resources you have available.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210209-115441_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210209-115441_Chrome.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back