40 gallon stocking

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a 40 gallon tank and was planning on what fish to put in it, I was thinking about
1-2 Clownfish
1 yellow tang
1 royal gramma
1 midas blenny
I think the Tang may outgrow the tank but it won’t be for a few years, I’m not sure about the blenny or changing it out for something else. I haven’t decided on getting 1 or 2 clownfish yet. What else could I replace the Midas Blenny with if it doesn’t work? Would a Wrasse work? I’ve heard about some aggression problems?

thanks

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon also. I'm looking at a similar stocking but no royal gramma for me. I also think I want a tailspot blenny, they are a little smaller. I hope to get a mandarin once my pods get really established. I'm starting with a quarter sized tang; yes it will outgrow. Be aware that will happen at some point. It's personal opinion on if that is something you want to do. I'm lucky to already have a 125 gallon in my basement but I think if you are willing to trade the fish when it gets too big, you are alright.

If your not looking at corals or clams I think a lemonpeel angel stays fairly small. I also love clown gobys. Lots of color in a small fish. Wrasses could be an option too, but make sure you have a lid. My rimless tank does not so I would worry about them jumping out.

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon also. I'm looking at a similar stocking but no royal gramma for me. I also think I want a tailspot blenny, they are a little smaller. I hope to get a mandarin once my pods get really established. I'm starting with a quarter sized tang; yes it will outgrow. Be aware that will happen at some point. It's personal opinion on if that is something you want to do. I'm lucky to already have a 125 gallon in my basement but I think if you are willing to trade the fish when it gets too big, you are alright.

If your not looking at corals or clams I think a lemonpeel angel stays fairly small. I also love clown gobys. Lots of color in a small fish. Wrasses could be an option too, but make sure you have a lid. My rimless tank does not so I would worry about them jumping out.
I might stay away from the Tang and replace it with a lawnmower goby for the same utilitarian purposes, I also like the looks of blue green chromis maybe adding 3 of those? I like the looks of the mandarin but I need to research their feeding more. What is your current 125 gallon stocking?

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might stay away from the Tang and replace it with a lawnmower goby for the same utilitarian purposes, I also like the looks of blue green chromis maybe adding 3 of those? I like the looks of the mandarin but I need to research their feeding more. What is your current 125 gallon stocking?
Lawnmowers are cool, check out starry blenny too. Really pretty in person. Green chomis are always neat. I just bought a springeri damsel, or blue sapphire damsel, for my tank instead of chromis. Just one with my tang for now but I would like to buy a couple more in a few weeks. Small very blue fish and so far, I love it.

My 125 is empty right now. I have been out of the hobby for a few years and wanted to start over with a little smaller tank for the living room. The 125 is in the basement though with all my gear in case I want to restart.

Have you seen cardinalfish? Those are neat nano fish too. My wife calls them "space ship fish" lol.

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmowers are cool, check out starry blenny too. Really pretty in person. Green chomis are always neat. I just bought a springeri damsel, or blue sapphire damsel, for my tank instead of chromis. Just one with my tang for now but I would like to buy a couple more in a few weeks. Small very blue fish and so far, I love it.

My 125 is empty right now. I have been out of the hobby for a few years and wanted to start over with a little smaller tank for the living room. The 125 is in the basement though with all my gear in case I want to restart.

Have you seen cardinalfish? Those are neat nano fish too. My wife calls them "space ship fish" lol.
What kind of light are you running of your 40 gallon?

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light are you running of your 40 gallon?
Currently a kessil 360we. I have a gen 4 radion xr15 pro I wanted to use as well, to mix both lights. The light is bright and I would like a 3d printed light shade to help. If I can't find that I will add a second 360we light to the tank.

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting a 40 gallon tank and was planning on what fish to put in it, I was thinking about
1-2 Clownfish
1 yellow tang
1 royal gramma
1 midas blenny
I think the Tang may outgrow the tank but it won’t be for a few years, I’m not sure about the blenny or changing it out for something else. I haven’t decided on getting 1 or 2 clownfish yet. What else could I replace the Midas Blenny with if it doesn’t work? Would a Wrasse work? I’ve heard about some aggression problems?

thanks
If you're interested in keeping a tang in a 40 I'd recommend looking at a Tomini, in my experience they do just fine in 3ft tanks.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canary wrasse looks similar to the midas blenny if you are looking for a bright yellow active fish. Aggression also depends on your rockwork and the specific individual animal. Having a lot of space to hide and a varied rockscape helps. Also pick a small one from your LFS that was in a holding display tank that has other species and you can see if it displays any aggression.

I'd recommend at least 1 wrasse for the utility - they are great at keeping worm infestations in check - esp flatworms, bristle, or even MENs
Other choices if you want to mix up your stocking:

Coral beauty would be a good substitute if you want that roundish shape of the tang thats more appropriate for your tank size

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canary wrasse looks similar to the midas blenny if you are looking for a bright yellow active fish. Aggression also depends on your rockwork and the specific individual animal. Having a lot of space to hide and a varied rockscape helps. Also pick a small one from your LFS that was in a holding display tank that has other species and you can see if it displays any aggression.

I'd recommend at least 1 wrasse for the utility - they are great at keeping worm infestations in check - esp flatworms, bristle, or even MENs
Other choices if you want to mix up your stocking:

Coral beauty would be a good substitute if you want that roundish shape of the tang thats more appropriate for your tank size
Thanks for the suggestions, I like the dwarf angel but I want to add coral so I am going to stay away from them

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they eat algae like the yellow tang?
yes they are quite good at it too. Mine keeps my rock work almost completely clean (with some help from a couple snails) they are one of the smallest tangs growing only to 6 inches at most, and tbh most stay smaller than that. I've had good success keeping one happy and healthy in my 45 gallon

OP
OP
Fishn28

Fishn28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes they are quite good at it too. Mine keeps my rock work almost completely clean (with some help from a couple snails) they are one of the smallest tangs growing only to 6 inches at most, and tbh most stay smaller than that. I've had good success keeping one happy and healthy in my 45 gallon
Good to know, what prices should I be looking to buy them at? I see prices ranging from 45-200

also do you have a picture of your tank?

Widdlyscudds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, what prices should I be looking to buy them at? I see prices ranging from 45-200

also do you have a picture of your tank?
I paid 70 for mine
20221128_185058.jpg
20221128_185103.jpg

Last edited:

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions, I like the dwarf angel but I want to add coral so I am going to stay away from them
Coral beauty reputation to nip at coral is overblown and depends on individual fish. I think you will find many reef owners here also own a CB

Back