40 gallon tank supply list and places to buy?

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to get into the hobby and have watched a lot of videos on saltwater tanks and read a lot on them, but clearly there are some gaps in my knowledge.

Is there a way to get a tank set up to be able to make a reef tank for under $500? What are the most minimal supples needed in order to get a 40 gallon tank up and running without any stock? I get most confused when it comes to pumps and filtration.
There seems to be an infinite number of ways to do things and I need a dumbed down version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I’m wondering if I should go the metal heater route instead of glass.
Look up Cobalt heaters. Expensive but no glass no metal bullet proof and holds 78 deg +- 1/2 deg in my tank

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up Cobalt heaters. Expensive but no glass no metal bullet proof and holds 78 deg +- 1/2 deg in my tank
You would want the neo therm heaters
I'm running 2 200 watt heaters on 100gal system. I never had to adjust them. Out of the box they held the 78 deg

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at lights online and noticed AI makes a blade light? Are these as good as their puck lights?
I have not run LEDs except in my refugium. If you want a nother type of lights that is cheep, effective and plug and play without any real risk of screwing up look into t5 lights. If interested let me know and I can help. This is a t5 lit reef

Attachments

• IMG_20230104_181454138 (2).jpg
    IMG_20230104_181454138 (2).jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 24
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went over budget haha, I got:

Two 75 watt Cobalt thin neo therm heaters
AI Prime 60 Watt light (going to get two eventually)
Seachem Tidal 110
And an AQUATCLIFE 4 stage reverse osmosis filtration system
Dr. Tims
Ammonium Chloride

Still need to get:
Rocks
Salt
Powerheads
Temp reader/alarm

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I went over budget haha, I got:

Two 75 watt Cobalt thin neo therm heaters
AI Prime 60 Watt light (going to get two eventually)
Seachem Tidal 110
And an AQUATCLIFE 4 stage reverse osmosis filtration system
Dr. Tims
Ammonium Chloride

Still need to get:
Rocks
Salt
Powerheads
Temp reader/alarm
LOL! A Budget is only there to prevent us from having to mortgage our house! When all said and done , you will break your budget, eat top ramen, switch to keystone beer from your favorite micro brew, then start looking around for things to sell on OfferUp. All the while coming home from work and spending hours in front of your reef with the biggest smile on your face!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! A Budget is only there to prevent us from having to mortgage our house! When all said and done , you will break your budget, eat top ramen, switch to keystone beer from your favorite micro brew, then start looking around for things to sell on OfferUp. All the while coming home from work and spending hours in front of your reef with the biggest smile on your face!
Luckily I work from home and this is in my office lol. My wife might kill me though. So if you don’t hear from me that’s why.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily I work from home and this is in my office lol. My wife might kill me though. So if you don’t hear from me that’s why.
Do like the rest of us, don't show her the real receipts!

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Jebao's since the beginning in my 40 gallon AIO, but mine are the older models (OW-10). People give Jebao mixed reviews and I believe the biggest complaint is the lack of longevity for some people, but mine have been trucking for almost 4 years now without issue and I'm bad about maintaining them too. I do run them on almost the lowest setting though, so that probably contributes to their longevity.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Jebao's since the beginning in my 40 gallon AIO, but mine are the older models (OW-10). People give Jebao mixed reviews and I believe the biggest complaint is the lack of longevity for some people, but mine have been trucking for almost 4 years now without issue and I'm bad about maintaining them too. I do run them on almost the lowest setting though, so that probably contributes to their longevity.
I suggested this one, as same price but has controller with a bunch of cool wave modes. Im running one on my nano. But yes Jacao gets a bad rap but people I talk to love m.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with these
You will be happy. They have a bunch of wave modes . I have one in my nano 18 gal turned down to 60 percent on random.

Upvote 0

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with these

I have Hygger and Jebao, both have been working reliably for the past year. You’ll hate the Hygger controller but it is programmable. Also not sure about the model you got, but mine only goes from 100% power down to 40%, it doesn’t have settings for any lower than that.

Not sure if you’ve set up the Tidal filter yet? I have the 35 and I love it, I run it concurrently with a skimmer and only use filter floss and a bit of carbon in it.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hygger and Jebao, both have been working reliably for the past year. You’ll hate the Hygger controller but it is programmable. Also not sure about the model you got, but mine only goes from 100% power down to 40%, it doesn’t have settings for any lower than that.

Not sure if you’ve set up the Tidal filter yet? I have the 35 and I love it, I run it concurrently with a skimmer and only use filter floss and a bit of carbon in it.
I agree about the controller, but once you get the hang of it it's ok. I watched YouTube videos LOL

Upvote 0
Back