40 gallon tank supply list and places to buy?

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to get into the hobby and have watched a lot of videos on saltwater tanks and read a lot on them, but clearly there are some gaps in my knowledge.

Is there a way to get a tank set up to be able to make a reef tank for under $500? What are the most minimal supples needed in order to get a 40 gallon tank up and running without any stock? I get most confused when it comes to pumps and filtration.
There seems to be an infinite number of ways to do things and I need a dumbed down version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hygger and Jebao, both have been working reliably for the past year. You’ll hate the Hygger controller but it is programmable. Also not sure about the model you got, but mine only goes from 100% power down to 40%, it doesn’t have settings for any lower than that.

Not sure if you’ve set up the Tidal filter yet? I have the 35 and I love it, I run it concurrently with a skimmer and only use filter floss and a bit of carbon in it.
I haven’t set anything up yet, it’s coming in the mail from Jeff bezos himself.

Upvote 0

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s also a lot of maintenance accessories you’re going to want or life will get really frustrating lol. Feel free to DM me if you want suggestions. I just went through my first year of doing exactly what your stated goal is, so my knowledge is pretty fresh.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
33AF680C-4022-48F0-941A-BA2A31EFC79D.jpeg

Well I checked one more place before ordering online and looky looky

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s also a lot of maintenance accessories you’re going to want or life will get really frustrating lol. Feel free to DM me if you want suggestions. I just went through my first year of doing exactly what your stated goal is, so my knowledge is pretty fresh.
Please list haha

Upvote 0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to get into the hobby and have watched a lot of videos on saltwater tanks and read a lot on them, but clearly there are some gaps in my knowledge.

Is there a way to get a tank set up to be able to make a reef tank for under $500? What are the most minimal supples needed in order to get a 40 gallon tank up and running without any stock? I get most confused when it comes to pumps and filtration.
There seems to be an infinite number of ways to do things and I need a dumbed down version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can get you close... without sacrificing coral health...

40 Breeder from petco: $60 (on sale right now)

Jeabo SOW8 pumps x2: $120 ($60 each)

Smatfarm led off amazon: $125 (you will need another if you switch to SPS but one is fine for soft corals/LPS)

Seachem tidal filter: $65

40 Lbs dry rock from Petco: $60 (on sale right now, weigh it and if they don't send you around 40 lbs, contact them to fix it, this has happened before and they will send more or refund)

Two bags Caribsea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink sand 20 lbs from Petco: $30 (on sale for $15 each atm)

60 lbs instant ocean salt from Petco: $30ish with first repeat delivery (40% off first shipment with repeat right now, sign up then cancel after, you will still get the promo)

Jeager Heater 125w: $26

Inkbird Temperature controller: $32 (this is so if the heater fails, your tank does not cook)

Cheap refractometer: $20

Calibration fluid for refractometer: $10

Any Petco stuff you also get another 5% off for doing a order online and pick up.

Total: $548-ish

You will later probably want test kits but they are not needed to start out, especially if you plan to do soft corals at first. Regular water changes can generally take care of soft corals. Then there are things like floss or carbon or whatever you end up wanting for the HOB. The HOB is technically optional since live rock + flow is the biological filter but I see many people generally end up wanting something to run media.

I know you ordered stuff but this list may still be useful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New questions. Once the tank is cycled, should I start slowly introducing fish? I’ve read clown fish don’t need anemones to survive, so was thinking that might be my first fish. I’d love to get an anemone too but have read they don’t do well in new tanks, so might not do that right away..

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New questions. Once the tank is cycled, should I start slowly introducing fish? I’ve read clown fish don’t need anemones to survive, so was thinking that might be my first fish. I’d love to get an anemone too but have read they don’t do well in new tanks, so might not do that right away..
Most clowns are tank bread and don't know what an anemone is, I have 3 clowns no anemone. Two host a skull I have in a nano

Upvote 0

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown pair was the first thing in, they hosted the heater clip. Then they hosted a rock, then a toadstool coral, then the female killed her husband and now hosts a zoanthid even though it stings her senseless. She ignores the very healthy BTA right next to her.

Saltwater fish are insane.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown pair was the first thing in, they hosted the heater clip. Then they hosted a rock, then a toadstool coral, then the female killed her husband and now hosts a zoanthid even though it stings her senseless. She ignores the very healthy BTA right next to her.

Saltwater fish are insane.
lol

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More rock going to be added but got some stuff today

C506D721-4F60-4343-BDC8-C51CFF9508AD.jpeg 9D14E551-0A24-4090-B933-068ED09F1F7B.jpeg
If I can suggest something, if there is no water yet, I would paint the background outside black. You can just use roll on with a foam roller. Mask everything. It may take 4 or more coats use a flashlight from the back and you will know when you're done. Doesn't use a picture background even if it is black. It will hide all of the business going on in the back and make the tank look deeper.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can suggest something, if there is no water yet, I would paint the background outside black. You can just use roll on with a foam roller. Mask everything. It may take 4 or more coats use a flashlight from the back and you will know when you're done. Doesn't use a picture background even if it is black. It will hide all of the business going on in the back and make the tank look deeper.
Don't use a picture background, by painting it it will hide everything and your filter will blend in

Upvote 0
Back