40 gallon tank supply list and places to buy?

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to get into the hobby and have watched a lot of videos on saltwater tanks and read a lot on them, but clearly there are some gaps in my knowledge.

Is there a way to get a tank set up to be able to make a reef tank for under $500? What are the most minimal supples needed in order to get a 40 gallon tank up and running without any stock? I get most confused when it comes to pumps and filtration.
There seems to be an infinite number of ways to do things and I need a dumbed down version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15370ACE-FA0F-4786-8AF2-77810A2E4D84.jpeg

So far without installing the resin I’m getting 5 ppm out. Not sure if good or not but assuming this will drop after I install resin

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15370ACE-FA0F-4786-8AF2-77810A2E4D84.jpeg

So far without installing the resin I’m getting 5 ppm out. Not sure if good or not but assuming this will drop after I install resin
I get my water from lfs so can't help on this

Upvote 0

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cycling, I would make this your first inhabitants:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cycling, I would make this your first inhabitants:

I have been reading about these buggers I think this is a good idea.

Upvote 0

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After establishing your pods and going through your diatom bloom, I might think about getting a little zoanthid colony that’s growing on a nice piece of live rock, or simply a piece of live rock from an established healthy tank.

Even a bit of live rock will bring in good stuff like more bacteria and archaea species, spirorbis, sponge, pods, coraline, etc.

These are all things that will come in eventually anyhow, and yes there’s a risk of pests as well, but this is a way to bring stuff in on your schedule, and zoa’s are a good first canary in the coal mine for how well you’re doing with your tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After establishing your pods and going through your diatom bloom, I might think about getting a little zoanthid colony that’s growing on a nice piece of live rock, or simply a piece of live rock from an established healthy tank.

Even a bit of live rock will bring in good stuff like more bacteria and archaea species, spirorbis, sponge, pods, coraline, etc.

These are all things that will come in eventually anyhow, and yes there’s a risk of pests as well, but this is a way to bring stuff in on your schedule, and zoa’s are a good first canary in the coal mine for how well you’re doing with your tank.
I was planning to stick with just clown fish for a while until I’ve dialed everything in and know that I’m doing things correctly. But not sure when I should add them. Should I go coral first?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also new question after doing some research, I decided to test my ph from my RODI system and like I expected it’s 7.4 (pretty neutral) I’m assuming that agitating the water will raise the PH once it’s in my tank, but how much will it raise I wonder . I’m also reading that the salt I’m going to mix into it wont affect the PH much which I thought was a little weird.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have me on this one, I know you're rocks and sand will buffer pH, I would test after salt mixed and address it then. The CO2 in our house is higher than outside and that will lower pH in your tank.

Upvote 0

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to stick with just clown fish for a while until I’ve dialed everything in and know that I’m doing things correctly. But not sure when I should add them. Should I go coral first?

Fish are fine, but they won’t bring in nearly as much beneficial microfauna (good little critters) as a bit of healthy live rock. CUC is also fine to add first, snail shells bring some of the same microfauna as live rock. Some.

Fish and their food eventually bring in the bulk of your nutrients that fuels the whole ecosystem, but when you’re brand new I don’t think fish is any more or less of a logical place to start than, say, a zoa with reef roids, or some snails with nori. You could do a little starter pack of a clown pair, a zoa, and some snails!

Upvote 0

ElementReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also new question after doing some research, I decided to test my ph from my RODI system and like I expected it’s 7.4 (pretty neutral) I’m assuming that agitating the water will raise the PH once it’s in my tank, but how much will it raise I wonder . I’m also reading that the salt I’m going to mix into it wont affect the PH much which I thought was a little weird.

Everything I researched about pH eventually said “Don’t shoot for pH, shoot for alkalinity and good water flow/surface agitation. If these are good, the pH will take care of itself.”

At least for a beginner.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't bother trying to test pH with rodi water. The number won't mean anything. Testing in the tank is what's important. Lower pH means slower growth.

Upvote 0

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 40 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 30 20.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back