40 gallon tank supply list and places to buy?

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to get into the hobby and have watched a lot of videos on saltwater tanks and read a lot on them, but clearly there are some gaps in my knowledge.

Is there a way to get a tank set up to be able to make a reef tank for under $500? What are the most minimal supples needed in order to get a 40 gallon tank up and running without any stock? I get most confused when it comes to pumps and filtration.
There seems to be an infinite number of ways to do things and I need a dumbed down version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably going to buy an auto top off, any suggestions on brands? Do I need a heater for this or will room temp be ok?
No heater needed. You will only be adding 1/2 gallon a day and in little spurts. Tunze 3155 if you can swing it. It is expensive but it has two sensors one optical for filling and mechanical auto shut off if the optical sensor malfunctions. This is the one place I would go top shelf. I have gone most cost effective everything else, but splurged on this one item. Peace of mind

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
19D4D139-DC69-44FD-B7E1-75E37C13F234.jpeg

Rocks added but putty still has to cure. also going to add superglue and dust to the putty areas so it looks like one giant piece.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good, probably going to hold off on the ATO at first, but going to get one eventually when I get annoyed at constantly topping off the tank

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good, probably going to hold off on the ATO at first, but going to get one eventually when I get annoyed at constantly topping off the tank
It's really not that big of a deal, I did it for a while. It takes 30 seconds

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I do it daily or weekly
I did it daily. You don't want any swings in salinity when you have coral. Pick a spot above the bottom of the rim, maybe mark the rim with a dab of super glue, just add water to that spot every day.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did it daily. You don't want any swings in salinity when you have coral. Pick a spot above the bottom of the rim, maybe mark the rim with a dab of super glue, just add water to that spot every day.
I'm sure you know, but just in case use plain ro water, no salt added

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine used. 55 gallon and it came with everything.
Cypike is experiencing the joy of hunt, doing the research, budgeting, having to make choices where to splurge, where to save. Finding out what you really need and what you can save for later. Putting together his own master piece- his Monalisa, and then watching his art form a life of it's own. Becoming it's own and sharing it with others.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cypike is experiencing the joy of hunt, doing the research, budgeting, having to make choices where to splurge, where to save. Finding out what you really need and what you can save for later. Putting together his own master piece- his Monalisa, and then watching his art form a life of it's own. Becoming it's own and sharing it with others.
Lol, yes this.

Also new dilemma, I want to mix water and salt for my tank but I probably need to get either bigger containers or a brute trash can or can I just mix it in the tank.

Just thinking ahead, I still have rock work to do. I filled my tank up with freshwater to see if it holds water and also going to soak the rocks and then drain it to get all the sediment out.

lots of work yet to do.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yes this.

Also new dilemma, I want to mix water and salt for my tank but I probably need to get either bigger containers or a brute trash can or can I just mix it in the tank.

Just thinking ahead, I still have rock work to do. I filled my tank up with freshwater to see if it holds water and also going to soak the rocks and then drain it to get all the sediment out.

lots of work yet to do.
As long as you have no fish you can. I would do it before adding anything though.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, yes this.

lots of work yet to do.
A brute 20 gal would be perfect

Upvote 0

jpark457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I’ll be very impressed if you keep it under $500. BRS mentions a bunch of times in some of their vids that 1K was what a new person spent in the first year on average and that was pre Covid. I tried really hard to stay low buying used and was somewhere around $750 for the first year. (Now closing year 2) It’s just an expensive hobby and inflation / Covid have only made that worse. The budget tank they build in the 5 minute guide is prob like 1500 now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. I’ll be very impressed if you keep it under $500. BRS mentions a bunch of times in some of their vids that 1K was what a new person spent in the first year on average and that was pre Covid. I tried really hard to stay low buying used and was somewhere around $750 for the first year. (Now closing year 2) It’s just an expensive hobby and inflation / Covid have only made that worse. The budget tank they build in the 5 minute guide is prob like 1500 now.
I have already gone over my budget lol

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back