40 gallon tank supply list and places to buy?

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im looking to get into the hobby and have watched a lot of videos on saltwater tanks and read a lot on them, but clearly there are some gaps in my knowledge.

Is there a way to get a tank set up to be able to make a reef tank for under $500? What are the most minimal supples needed in order to get a 40 gallon tank up and running without any stock? I get most confused when it comes to pumps and filtration.
There seems to be an infinite number of ways to do things and I need a dumbed down version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick update: I added ammonia yesterday but forgot what time. I have .25 ppm right now and about 1ppm nitrites, I do have 40 ppm nitrates though so I’m wondering when I should do a water change. Also wondering if ammonia should be converted to nitrates in 24 hours or 48 hours?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
065498CB-1375-4E02-96FE-2B8437FF34F5.jpeg

Well I added ammonia last night at 5 because it was down to .25 ppm, and I may have screwed up? Thoughts?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cypike

cypike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have to get some more powerful heaters as my Inkbird wants to turn off all the time when the heaters can’t get it up to temp in a certain amount of time lol

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back