40 Nuvo vs 40 Breeder Stocking

ScottsTot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the research phase right now and am trying to decide on a tank based on cost, maintenance time, and size. I'm considering a number of tanks including some Nuvo tanks, a 40b with sump, a 40b without sump, 20 long, etc.

As of now, I'm leaning towards a Nuvo 40 or a standard 40 breeder with a 20 long sump. The Nuvo 40 is really a 30 gallon cube, however, because the back compartment takes up a good amount of space.

How many more fish can I keep in a 40 breeder with a sump vs. a Nuvo 40?

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd honestly recommend a 1-2 fish more for a 40g with a 20g sump. Remember the sump isn't full, you might only have 10g in there. You want to keep some room for back siphon on a power outage.

I'd do the 40breeder with a sump as it gives you room to add things without hanging things on the back and such. Its a cleaner look.

Ezrunner23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd honestly recommend a 1-2 fish more for a 40g with a 20g sump. Remember the sump isn't full, you might only have 10g in there. You want to keep some room for back siphon on a power outage.

I'd do the 40breeder with a sump as it gives you room to add things without hanging things on the back and such. Its a cleaner look.
+1

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the fish. But surface area is one of the most important factors for stocking capacity. The 40b has a bigger foot print so already will be able to hold more fish, but the surface area of the sump counts too, so that added surface arra for gas exchange and added system water volume help too.

The dimensions of the 40b also allow for more active fish as well.

OP
OP
S

ScottsTot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much more time is spent on maintenance on one tank over another? There may not be a difference but I am guessing a 40B + 20 sump is more time-consuming than an AIO Nuvo 40. However, if the setup with a sump is more stable, there may be less time adjusting parameters. I'm totally new and going off hypotheticals here :) My free time is limited, so I want to pick a system that will not require hours of maintenance per week.

On another note, 1 Kessil 360 seems to be enough for a Nuvo 40. For the breeders, people seem to use 2 lights. Would I need 2 Kessil 360 lights, or would 2 180 lights work?

goober

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quantity of fish is not always determined by size of tank. It's all about nutrient export. I have a nuvo 40. I carbon dose for nutrient export and have 8 fish in the tank while maintaining no3 at 5ppm

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quantity of fish is not always determined by size of tank. It's all about nutrient export. I have a nuvo 40. I carbon dose for nutrient export and have 8 fish in the tank while maintaining no3 at 5ppm
But the bacteria that you are feeding also consume O2, so greater surface area for added gas exchange still results in greater livestock capacity.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back