40 ppt salinity how to bring down

destinybetancourt200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few days ago I got a purple tang looked happy. Two days later dead. My water was fine everything great. So I went to my go to fish store. He tested water and my salinity was 40 ppt. My salinity tester (digital) failed me tested incorrectly... So the tang was shocked so makes sense he died.... Other fish stressed 2 out of 6 hiding... I have 10 gallons sw and 5 rodi.. (I have 75 gallon really 65 with rocks hang off skimmer and filter)

Should I put in the 5 gallons rodi tonight or put it in slowly over a few days???

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove 1/2 gallon per day and replace with fresh RODI. Take daily readings until it comes down. Don't overthink it.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can drop salinity faster than you can raise it....
I'd just go ahead and pump out some water and refill with RODI until its 35 ppt.
If you have fish dying, I wouldn't take to long to get it down. maybe do it over a day or two, but I wouldn't go longer than that.

PlumbTuckered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropping salinity can be done quicker than raising.

Make sure you get a calibration solution if you haven't already and check your meter regularly.

@Jay Hemdal, @vetteguy53081 would be good people to chime in on how quickly you can safely drop the salinity.

Jay and Vetteguy specialize in fish illness. They got alot of good advise from what's already been posted.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay and Vetteguy specialize in fish illness. They got alot of good advise from what's already been posted.

Hypo salinity is used for disease treatment.

I wasn't disputing any of the previously shared info, I offered the same advice of dropping can be done quicker than raising.

Jay and Vette I'm sure have more experience than most when it comes to dropping and raising salinity. On top of that different species tolerate hyper and hypo salinity differently. Jay or Vette may also have experience some of us don't have in regards to the OPs stocking list and how those species tolerate raises or drops in salinity.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few days ago I got a purple tang looked happy. Two days later dead. My water was fine everything great. So I went to my go to fish store. He tested water and my salinity was 40 ppt. My salinity tester (digital) failed me tested incorrectly... So the tang was shocked so makes sense he died.... Other fish stressed 2 out of 6 hiding... I have 10 gallons sw and 5 rodi.. (I have 75 gallon really 65 with rocks hang off skimmer and filter)

Should I put in the 5 gallons rodi tonight or put it in slowly over a few days???

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

You can drop the salinity of fish rather rapidly, but invertebrates don't always tolerate fast changes well (especially shrimps and starfish).

Whenever I have two salinity measurements that don't agree (in this case your digital reader and the store) I always confirm with a third reading from a different source.

Jay

PlumbTuckered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo salinity is used for disease treatment.

I wasn't disputing any of the previously shared info, I offered the same advice of dropping can be done quicker than raising.

Jay and Vette I'm sure have more experience than most when it comes to dropping and raising salinity. On top of that different species tolerate hyper and hypo salinity differently. Jay or Vette may also have experience some of us don't have in regards to the OPs stocking list and how those species tolerate raises or drops in salinity.

Apologies. Wasn't trying to offend.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Add RODI water to sump using a large cup
Scoop a cup out and add a cup of RODI in until 1.025

OP
OP
D

destinybetancourt200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can drop salinity faster than you can raise it....
I'd just go ahead and pump out some water and refill with RODI until its 35 ppt.
If you have fish dying, I wouldn't take to long to get it down. maybe do it over a day or two, but I wouldn't go longer than that.
Thank you I actually did it that night I got about 2.5 or rodi and 2.5 of salt mixed in one bucket so 5 gallons and put in over about 4 hours... Just seeing this now cuz I didn't know how to see the replies

OP
OP
D

destinybetancourt200

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

You can drop the salinity of fish rather rapidly, but invertebrates don't always tolerate fast changes well (especially shrimps and starfish).

Whenever I have two salinity measurements that don't agree (in this case your digital reader and the store) I always confirm with a third reading from a different source.

Jay
Thank you and ya the shrimp didn't make it but he disappeared about 4 days (at work when lights on thought he was hiding) before my post so I knew it was coming and I will have more then one going forward

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes 1 hour to acclimate a fish from 1.018 to 1.025. So, I would take out 2 gallons seawater put 2 fresh in . Let that circulate for a half hour do it again. Till you are where you need to be. If you where going up I would go alittle slower.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes 1 hour to acclimate a fish from 1.018 to 1.025. So, I would take out 2 gallons seawater put 2 fresh in . Let that circulate for a half hour do it again. Till you are where you need to be. If you where going up I would go alittle slower.
You really need to raise specific gravity slower than that, especially with small fish. You can drop specific gravity that fast, but shouldn’t raise it like that. For 7 specific gravity units, I recommend it be done over 48 hours, while the fish is in a tank.

Jay

Back