400 gal on second floor .....

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it would be if there is a remote chance of being possible.
Anything is possible. You could support a much larger tank if you use long span steel beams across the top of the garage. Wouldn't even have to give up a parking spot. It all depends on how much you want to spend.

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what Brew said, it's definitely possible and there will be a lot of different solutions that could make it possible.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"dynamic loading would be on nights where there was a bit of water movement", common Jongalt, you don't have to worry about that one :D

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
58351.jpg

Haha i know right !

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are cracking me up, lol. Now to the op, I have a 300g in my house and know the costs associated. As stated above the costs of getting the structure analyzed would be beneficial all the way around. When you are planning a large tank, everything needs to be examined. This coming from experience not doing it right the first time.

Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can support 9000 gal tank.

Here is the math.

(1 forum engineer / 8 everyone telling you to hire an engineer) ^ waiting to hear the answer you want and finally we take the recipicle of the modulas and get, do what you want youve already decided before you came on here.
Exactly. Seems like his mind was made up before he started to get the opinions of people here. He's just looking for that one answer to justify his decision.

L1g_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I recently inherited my dad's house that has a unfinished second floor above the garage. I want to do a built in reef since I have to put walls in anyways. The question I have is if anyone know what kind of wieght the floor will support.
It has 22" floor trusses on 16in centers and where the tank would be going it's a 24' span. Unfortunately I do not have any load bearing walls that I can take advantage of.
I was hoping to view the tank from 3 sides so a large square tank is ideal. Even though I know a longer tank spread over more of the trusses would probably be better.
I've tried looking online for the strength the trusses can support but not having alot of luck.
Your a daredevil my build is going to be in basement, my advice would be to reinforce it like crazy. I don’t really know what else to say

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back