400 Gallon Aquarium: Article Format

So this is just a test thread for Build/Tank Threads located in the Members Aquarium Discussion.

If we wanted to we can allow build threads within these forums to be created as ARTICLES. Doing so will cause the FIRST post of the thread (LIKE THIS ONE) to always remain at the top of every page. Then we can allow the author of the thread to always be able to edit that first post which will update and show on every page.

What do you guys think?

IMG_3994(1).JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So this is just a test thread for Build/Tank Threads located in the Members Aquarium Discussion.

If we wanted to we can allow build threads within these forums to be created as ARTICLES. Doing so will cause the FIRST post of the thread (LIKE THIS ONE) to always remain at the top of every page. Then we can allow the author of the thread to always be able to edit that first post which will update and show on every page.

What do you guys think?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that a lot.

I look at it this way.

- One could update that post as things progress, change, whatever.
- one could then put some short bullets about tank there and do the same as above for updating.
- If someone is interested in the journey, they could then read through all of the struggles or achievements for the OP.
- OP could even put links to specific sections in the "journal" to point directly to issues that were resolved, new additions that were added, problems that were solved, etc.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What do you guys think?
I already make updates to the first post in my build thread, but keeping that first post visible atop every page would be a nice addition!

- OP could even put links to specific sections in the "journal" to point directly to issues that were resolved, new additions that were added, problems that were solved, etc.
Agreed, and this is another method that I also currently employ on my build thread, but the first page has to be accessed to see the bullet point links. The new format would make this so much simpler with the first post atop every page!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great thoughts! People could also create links to specific posts within their build thread.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like that a lot.

I look at it this way.

- One could update that post as things progress, change, whatever.
- one could then put some short bullets about tank there and do the same as above for updating.
- If someone is interested in the journey, they could then read through all of the struggles or achievements for the OP.

New layout looks clean to me

I already make updates to the first post in my build thread, but keeping that first post visible atop every page would be a nice addition!

Agreed, and this is another method that I also currently employ on my build thread, but the first page has to be accessed to see the bullet point links. The new format would make this so much simpler with the first post atop every page!

Any of you want me to turn your current build thread into article format for testing? I can always turn it back! Comment if you do.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of you want me to turn your current build thread into article format for testing? I can always turn it back! Comment if you do.
I would say yes, but the fish barn is about to come down, so that thread will be closed one the process of tearing all the tanks down, moving livestock and all of that is completed.

Although, you can do it if you want to, as that may be a good way to see a full life cycle of a build thread. Cradle to grave, so to speak.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got you two switched over and I'm working on expanding the amount of info you see on the first post of each page so it's better. Right now the other pages are just showing a snippet.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got you two switched over and I'm working on expanding the amount of info you see on the first post of each page so it's better. Right now the other pages are just showing a snippet.
I will play with it once I get off of work today, so no hurry. bad enough I am on here now lol.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Done!

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it already! This is the way to go for build threads, in my opinion!
Now if it will just encourage people to keep the first page updated whenever there are updates... (I've got work to do)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So a little more work done on this so far! Moved the thread author info to the TOP above the actual content and made it to where all the info from the first post will show on every page at the top. Before it was just a snippet. We'll have to see if that works long term.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back