OP
OP
Mr_Stian

Mr_Stian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a very productive weekend. On Friday i managed to cut all the plywood and on Saturday and Sunday it was all screwed and glued in place. Today i hope to sand down some of the corners as they were not 100% aligned and i will start applying the first coat of Pond Shield.
Both the front and side panels have double layers of plywood. And the rear has 6 extra vertical 10cm strips. But as AlexG had some issues with his tank i will reinforce the tank with horizontal beams once it is placed on the stand.
Hoping to glue the glass early next week. After this there will be added a top brace of 2"x4" beams with three 3x10mm aluminium braces across. This aluminium brace will be glued and screwed into slots on the top bracing.

So to some pictures:

Main panels in place

20181110_150612.jpg

Had to secure the front panel before screwing the bottom in place so that this was straight.

20181110_153114.jpg

Before adding glue to the bottom panel

20181110_153420.jpg

Finished with all panels!

20181111_203204.jpg
20181111_203837.jpg

Pre drilled holes for the bulkheads in the top sheet. Will be drilled all the way through later today.

20181111_203853.jpg

Since i do not have a double bottom i added a extra internal support consisting of a 2"x2" beam screwed from the outside.

20181111_204042.jpg

Hopefully the inside will be black later today!

OP
OP
Mr_Stian

Mr_Stian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First coat of pond Armour applied. I have read that this stuff is supposed to be almost smell free. It is not! Not as bad as regular epoxy but it still smells quite bad. Same level as a smelly wall paint.

Anyway, it came on quite nice. Easy to apply and easy to mix. Tomorrow I will do the seams with fiberglass cloth.

20181112_205835.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pictures and thanks for sharing it with us in such detail, very nice!

OP
OP
Mr_Stian

Mr_Stian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I did the corners with fiberglass mats. A real pain in the butt to do. I found out early that I had mixed too much to apply good in a half an hour so I had to rush it. So it is not the nicest finish, but it will work.

Next step will be to apply coat 2 and 3 on the rest of the tank. Hopefully I will manage this in one day so that I don't have to sand between the layers.

Just a quick picture of the result:

20181113_205337.jpg

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good!

It should blend in nicely with the next couple of coats.

And these plywood builds amaze me. I'm nervous to drill a tank on my own and you guys are building your own tanks! Consider me impressed ;)

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with plywood tanks, but I think you may be underestimating the amount of structural bracing that is going to be required for that span and depth - especially on the front and back. I fear you are going to get significant bowing. I will defer to someone with more structural expertise, but I would be surprised if you can get by with less than something like 2x6's or even 2x8's laid perpendicular to the panels. I would also be concerned about how well those seems are going to withstand the pressure.

OP
OP
Mr_Stian

Mr_Stian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with plywood tanks, but I think you may be underestimating the amount of structural bracing that is going to be required for that span and depth - especially on the front and back. I fear you are going to get significant bowing. I will defer to someone with more structural expertise, but I would be surprised if you can get by with less than something like 2x6's or even 2x8's laid perpendicular to the panels. I would also be concerned about how well those seems are going to withstand the pressure.

Thanks for the input. But i am confident that the structure will be good once i have put the 2"x4" beams onto this. There is a guy here in Norway that has built quite a few plywood aquariums and he says that a 15mm sheet of plywood of 90cmx207cm will bow out 2-3cm with only one 2"x2" beam. He says that one 2"x4" was enough to keep this from happening.

My tank is made of 18mm plywood, and it is double on most areas. So after the added support from the 2"x4" beams i think there will be little to none bowing.

Regarding the seams this is made in the same way as all the other plywood aquariums. i only added the 2"x2" to support them. The strip of fiberglass (which i think was 200gr) is as recommended by Pond Armor.
This morning i found out that i had made a rookie mistake and there were some air bubbles in the cloth. So i will sand these down and put new cloth on.

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a 96x30x29 plywood tank about 6 years ago and only made it out of 1" plywood glued and screwed together then fiberglassed in the corners and then epoxied inside. I then put a 1x3" frame around the top with cross braces every 2 ft and that tank is still going. There wasn't any noticeable bowing

OP
OP
Mr_Stian

Mr_Stian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a 96x30x29 plywood tank about 6 years ago and only made it out of 1" plywood glued and screwed together then fiberglassed in the corners and then epoxied inside. I then put a 1x3" frame around the top with cross braces every 2 ft and that tank is still going. There wasn't any noticeable bowing

Thanks for the input. Even though mine is about 6" taller i think the 2"x4" on edge horizontal brace will be enough to keep it from bowing.

OP
OP
Mr_Stian

Mr_Stian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dilemma dilemma! I have now done 3 coats, but I would really like to do one more coat. But I don not have enough to do this and waterproof the top brace! After coat 2 some small parts where still slightly transparent. After coat 3 I could not see anything of the plywood, but I would really like to have a last coat!

The problem is that it will take many weeks to get more pond armor through the normal channels.

Do anybody here have any contacts somewhere where I can get one more kit of pond armor delivered fast? Amazon do not ship to Norway so when I got the first kit I got some US friends to ship to me!

OP
OP
Mr_Stian

Mr_Stian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to get a hold of a kit of Pond Shield from the UK. So hopefully this wont delay the build too much.

This morning when i inspected the last coat it looked actually quite good. But there are some imprefections, and some debrees from the roller i used that got stuck in the paint (did not know i needed a roller that was made for thick 2-component paint). So i want to give it a light sand and put one extra coat on. Then i will be happy with the overall thickness.

So the progress for the next few days will be to sand down the tank, fix a few issues on the seams, one last coat of Pond Sheild and then get it ready for glass installation. After this i still have to make the top brace before i need more Pond Shield.

OP
OP
Mr_Stian

Mr_Stian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad that I decided to take the time to add another coat of pond shield. I hade to repair a few minor things on one of the seams, but I am very happy with the final result on the sides.
A small advice to others that are using pond shield, use a paint roller that is supposed to be used with two component paint or epoxy. The rollers that are for normal paint will leave stuff from the roller in the epoxy...

Happy with the progress so far. I am planning on installing the glass on Monday. Until then I will fill the screw holes and prepair the front for final paint.

A quick picture of the finnished waterproofing.

20181116_212603.jpg

OP
OP
Mr_Stian

Mr_Stian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so cool! I’m glad I found your build thread. I’m looking forward to the glass install :)

Always nice to get such feedback :)

Since this build is taking so much time, the aquarium that is up and running doesn't get much attention. But today I had to do some maintanace on the refugium. As the picture below shows!

20181118_193139.jpg

This had been left to grow for about a month or so. So it was about time to remove some. :)

Regarding the build it looks like I am ready for glass installation tomorrow. During the weekend I have focused on the Finnish of the front panel. I have filled all the screw holes and some minor defects and painted it. I had missed a few spots so I had to fill again today. I have also rounded the edges to make a nice finish to the front.

Since there are still a lot of spots of unsanded filler I forgot to take a picture this time.

Hopefully a new update tomorrow with the glass installed!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back