400 gallon tank crack

ryanhank

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2025
Messages
5
Reaction score
30
Location
TN
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello - Have a 400 gallon corner tank that developed a crack in the bottom (5/8") and of course, began to leak. Crack is about 24" long going from one side to the other. Tried gluing down a large 1/2" glass cut to fit snuggly in the space. Using ASI Black Aquarium Silicone Sealant - 10.2 Fluid oz Cartridge, I made the mistake of not using the sealant on the bottom portion (edges) of the repair piece of glass, glued it down with supposedly water proof super glue. Then used the sealant on the edges of the repair piece and bottom glass. Lasted for a week and then started leaking again. I am wondering if the sealant did not adhere to the original silicone (same make/model). Now I cannot separate the repair glass from the bottom glass. Is there a sealant I can use to hold glass edge to bottom glass and adhere to original sealant? Do I need to primer surfaces - if so - what to use. TY all!
 
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246
 
Welcome to R2R! Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question, but hopefully someone who does will chime in :)
Whats Up Hello GIF by Make it Move
 
Welcome. I’m with everyone else. On that size tank would you ever feel comfortable leaving the house with basically a patch on it?
 
Someone asked for pics. Here is some. Have to look through LED glare and the 1/2" piece of glass that I cannot get loose. I'm looking for a product that will seal around the 1/2 glass to the original bottom of the tank and to the original silicone. TY everyone!
 

Attachments

  • 400g crack 1.jpg
    400g crack 1.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 400g crack 2.jpg
    400g crack 2.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 400g crack 3.jpg
    400g crack 3.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 113
  • 400g crack 4.jpg
    400g crack 4.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 400g crack 5.jpg
    400g crack 5.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 400g crack 6.jpg
    400g crack 6.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 80
I see you very determined to keep this particular tank. I really think next proper step would be to unglue each panel and replace the cracked one. Reason to unglue each panel is because New silicone dosent stick well to old silicone
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new