The Mediocreef

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I'm not alone. You know what it is?
It's just a piece of crushed coral. Not sure if it's coralline coming in or what but they're super fluorescent! I get those and weird orange threads that seem to glow. The weird thing about the crushed coral is they don't spread. I've grabbed a couple off the sand and put them on the rocks. They sit there and don't do anything...

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a piece of crushed coral. Not sure if it's coralline coming in or what but they're super fluorescent! I get those and weird orange threads that seem to glow. The weird thing about the crushed coral is they don't spread. I've grabbed a couple off the sand and put them on the rocks. They sit there and don't do anything...
strange and kinda cool.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happy thanksgiving!

Pumpkin Thanksgiving GIF by Bath & Body Works

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few, really just one, on the new to me acrylic tank. Are these to be concerned about?

It looks like spider webs or frost on the front.
IMG_20221126_113420630_HDR.jpg

And this looks like some cracking in the seam at the top.

@Lowell Lemon I heard you know a thing or two. Any feedback?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got a few, really just one, on the new to me acrylic tank. Are these to be concerned about?

To me they look like someone tried buffing out a scratch and used to heavy or a grit.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like some light crazing which is a micro surface cracking. It is often because someone used alcohol or a petroleum distillate to clean. You can remove it with a scratch removal kit from Micro Surface Engineering. Life Guard use to package a scratch removal kit from them. Not a structural problem at all just cosmetic. Just my experience.

I use just a little Dawn dish soap (few drops) in a spray bottle of water and soft cotton cloth to clean acrylic tanks outside panels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some light crazing which is a micro surface cracking. It is often because someone used alcohol or a petroleum distillate to clean. You can remove it with a scratch removal kit from Micro Surface Engineering. Life Guard use to package a scratch removal kit from them. Not a structural problem at all just cosmetic. Just my experience.

I use just a little Dawn dish soap (few drops) in a spray bottle of water and soft cotton cloth to clean acrylic tanks outside panels.
Huge help! thank you.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of those mixed mood posts that at least I have some trouble adding the right "like" response to.
First, if I weren't full steam ahead on the reef, with a box from riptide coming Friday, and the 120 becoming salty (officially now) I likely would have considered leaving reefing a few days ago. I have had fish jump out, and it hurts every time. But this time it was the puffer: the reason this tank exists! I found him in the freshwater qt tank right next to his home. I am not sure if it was bullying from the falco (it could be) because I didn't see a lot when I was looking at the tank. the puffer was always first to the food and the falco never got in the way. I know they can be jerks though. If I knew it was the falco's fault, I would strongly consider taking him skeet shooting with me.

My dog has also been trying to catch them (through the glass) more recently, which could have been stressful.

Or he just wanted to jump. This is the last picture I have of him.
IMG_20221125_151019440.jpg

On a positive note: I got some cleanup crew, including a cleaner shrimp and a sally Lightfoot crab. I haven't seen the drab much since I added her. The cleaner is loving a spot right next to an RFA. I can get a picture when I get home.

Also positive: the 120 is clean, plumbing parts from brs are coming. I had to do it in three orders because I am not really the type of person to get it done right the first time. Sorry BRS and UPS that you need to ship in 5 boxes what should have been 2 if I had my life together.
The first shipment. It also has some of the parts I need to add a sump to the 75.
IMG_20221126_103354822_HDR.jpg

I love the testers, guys! I should have spent the money on digital salinity a while ago, and I now have alk, po4 and no3 from Hanna. the nitrate will take some getting used to as it takes 7 minutes to get a reading and I therefore need to set an alarm lest I forget and lose the opportunity to get the reading.

I was excited to set up the jbj powerheads, but the controller lost the back and I need to fix that too.

this was a long one, thank you for the attention.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is one of those mixed mood posts that at least I have some trouble adding the right "like" response to.
First, if I weren't full steam ahead on the reef, with a box from riptide coming Friday, and the 120 becoming salty (officially now) I likely would have considered leaving reefing a few days ago. I have had fish jump out, and it hurts every time. But this time it was the puffer: the reason this tank exists! I found him in the freshwater qt tank right next to his home. I am not sure if it was bullying from the falco (it could be) because I didn't see a lot when I was looking at the tank. the puffer was always first to the food and the falco never got in the way. I know they can be jerks though. If I knew it was the falco's fault, I would strongly consider taking him skeet shooting with me.

My dog has also been trying to catch them (through the glass) more recently, which could have been stressful.

Or he just wanted to jump. This is the last picture I have of him.
IMG_20221125_151019440.jpg

On a positive note: I got some cleanup crew, including a cleaner shrimp and a sally Lightfoot crab. I haven't seen the drab much since I added her. The cleaner is loving a spot right next to an RFA. I can get a picture when I get home.

Also positive: the 120 is clean, plumbing parts from brs are coming. I had to do it in three orders because I am not really the type of person to get it done right the first time. Sorry BRS and UPS that you need to ship in 5 boxes what should have been 2 if I had my life together.
The first shipment. It also has some of the parts I need to add a sump to the 75.
IMG_20221126_103354822_HDR.jpg

I love the testers, guys! I should have spent the money on digital salinity a while ago, and I now have alk, po4 and no3 from Hanna. the nitrate will take some getting used to as it takes 7 minutes to get a reading and I therefore need to set an alarm lest I forget and lose the opportunity to get the reading.

I was excited to set up the jbj powerheads, but the controller lost the back and I need to fix that too.

this was a long one, thank you for the attention.
:crying-face::astonished-face::D:confused-face::rolleyes::grimacing-face::grinning-face-with-big-eyes: All the emotions? I'm glad you're not leaving. Sorry to hear about the puffer. Awesome that you're getting everything setup! Sorry about the frustrations. Been there, multiple trips to Home Depot, Lowe's, and Ace Hardware in a day plus multiple orders that same day from Amazon only to make returns and different purchases throughout the upcoming weeks.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:crying-face::astonished-face::D:confused-face::rolleyes::grimacing-face::grinning-face-with-big-eyes: All the emotions? I'm glad you're not leaving. Sorry to hear about the puffer. Awesome that you're getting everything setup! Sorry about the frustrations. Been there, multiple trips to Home Depot, Lowe's, and Ace Hardware in a day plus multiple orders that same day from Amazon only to make returns and different purchases throughout the upcoming weeks.
It has been all the emotions. I could get all the plumbing but bulkheads from Home Depot, but I want schmancy schedule 80 rather than white since it will be visible.

What house project isn't complete without at least 3 trips to the hardware store?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It has been all the emotions. I could get all the plumbing but bulkheads from Home Depot, but I want schmancy schedule 80 rather than white since it will be visible.

What house project isn't complete without at least 3 trips to the hardware store?
New project! Use white PVC and make a Aragocrete sleeve! We'll call it the "Tim's Unpatented Sleeve Design".

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New project! Use white PVC and make a Aragocrete sleeve! We'll call it the "Tim's Unpatented Sleeve Design".
Maybe in a future design. right now I have the return shown above. I need to cure the rock that came with the tank as there has likely been all the die-off from when it was wet. I might see if the lfs would take a straight up trade for their cultured.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found I need todo enclosure in the winter for some PETGs... experimenting still.. this is not a done and done...
bed heat and a 60W is enough...
IMG_2432.JPEG
That should fix the streaking issue? I can just see the wife's face when I try to put something like this up on her desk.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 118 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 12 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 22 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back