The Mediocreef

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure you can see from the picture, but copper treatment ends tomorrow!
IMG_20221023_165230040_HDR.jpg

I will do a few water changes to get most of the copper out. I will then stray from Jay Hamdal's best practice and add the fish to the display. In part because I want to see them in there and in part because running hyposalinity is to treat for flukes and other parasites. We'll, I have seen my dartfish skipping off the sand sometimes so flukes may already be in the tank. I'll just treat the whole thing will Rally pro for 3 days and call it.

Why not treat the display with Prazi for flukes?

The standard hyposalinity for Neobendenia flukes is 35 days at half salinity,or a specific gravity of 1.012. that's a CUC death sentence for most and another long duration of "treatment"

Back to back Prazi doses to the display would be shorter in time, keep all of your other parameters the same, keep the cuc alive and treat for a wider swath than just neobendenia type flukes.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not treat the display with Prazi for flukes?

The standard hyposalinity for Neobendenia flukes is 35 days at half salinity,or a specific gravity of 1.012. that's a CUC death sentence for most and another long duration of "treatment"

Back to back Prazi doses to the display would be shorter in time, keep all of your other parameters the same, keep the cuc alive and treat for a wider swath than just neobendenia type flukes.
I was between hyposalinity in the qt tank or Rally pro in the display after adding the fish from QT. Since these are the first fish I've quarantined, I likely have flukes in the display.

I got wrapped up yesterday with other things, so everyone is still in qt, but I added some water from the display, so copper is probably sub therapeutic at this point, but the time had ended, so were gravy.

Any knowledge on Rally vs Prazi? or are they pretty much the same?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was between hyposalinity in the qt tank or Rally pro in the display after adding the fish from QT. Since these are the first fish I've quarantined, I likely have flukes in the display.

I got wrapped up yesterday with other things, so everyone is still in qt, but I added some water from the display, so copper is probably sub therapeutic at this point, but the time had ended, so were gravy.

Any knowledge on Rally vs Prazi? or are they pretty much the same?
I have personally never used rally. I believe I read it has pr azi as one of the ingredients in a lower concentration. I personally like to be able to dose specific ingredients that I need at known concentrations for known time limits.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have personally never used rally. I believe I read it has pr azi as one of the ingredients in a lower concentration. I personally like to be able to dose specific ingredients that I need at known concentrations for known time limits.
Makes sense. I have rally so I'll use that. Plus it's just recently and rarely that I see skipping. Do fish get itchy?

Would you work out actual water volume (factoring in rock and sand) or just rough it in from tank/sump size?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Do get itchy and some types of fish are more prone to skipping off of the sand. Fire fish and YCW are two that I have experienced myself and hear discussed often.

I do try to figure out volume of water when I first set the tank up. After that, it's kind of a guess. You have a bit of a buffer with Prazi in that you Can overdose it without ill effects.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish Do get itchy and some types of fish are more prone to skipping off of the sand. Fire fish and YCW are two that I have experienced myself and hear discussed often.

I do try to figure out volume of water when I first set the tank up. After that, it's kind of a guess. You have a bit of a buffer with Prazi in that you Can overdose it without ill effects.
The buffer is what I was hoping for. staff at the lfs said he accidentally double dosed once. "coral were ticked off, but nothing died."

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It happened! They're all in. I have no pictures of the sailfin blenny. He hid real quick and I may never see him again.
IMG_20221025_203338039.jpg
IMG_20221025_204751979.jpg
IMG_20221025_203341529.jpg
IMG_20221025_204904637.jpg
My Lawnmower (basically the same as a Sailfin just shorter fin) and my Starry Blenny not took about a day and a half of adjusting to the 125 and they're both out constantly now. I never saw the Lawnmower in the 75 though.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hawk fish isn't a fan of the foxface. I may need a time out chair for him. Here's the foxface hiding when he got in the tank.
IMG_20221025_203432728.jpg

And the same spot without the flashlight.
IMG_20221025_205735868.jpg

And I lied. I found the sailfin.
IMG_20221025_205817553.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The hawk fish isn't a fan of the foxface. I may need a time out chair for him. Here's the foxface hiding when he got in the tank.
IMG_20221025_203432728.jpg

And the same spot without the flashlight.
IMG_20221025_205735868.jpg

And I lied. I found the sailfin.
IMG_20221025_205817553.jpg
Oh no! You have some weird tassely things growing on that little rock that looks like it has eyes!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back