OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New scheme. but first the background: I got a tideline 50 for the bowfront, but I just sold the bowfront. Now I have a brand-new hob filter and no tank for it. Now to the scheme. I take most of the filter media out of the 207 and replace it with rubble so it becomes a pod sanctuary. there will likely be a lot of flow through it, so I could put it on a timer to give them a break, or just let it ride. I would then use the hob as the nutrient export of sorts. The reasoning behind this is I will be more inclined to empty the refuse from the hob due to its ease of access. I can also add or remove roaphos or other media as needed without opening up the canister. This, if it works as planned, would also give Cho a more reliable and sustained sourse of pods.

Thoughts?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
New scheme. but first the background: I got a tideline 50 for the bowfront, but I just sold the bowfront. Now I have a brand-new hob filter and no tank for it. Now to the scheme. I take most of the filter media out of the 207 and replace it with rubble so it becomes a pod sanctuary. there will likely be a lot of flow through it, so I could put it on a timer to give them a break, or just let it ride. I would then use the hob as the nutrient export of sorts. The reasoning behind this is I will be more inclined to empty the refuse from the hob due to its ease of access. I can also add or remove roaphos or other media as needed without opening up the canister. This, if it works as planned, would also give Cho a more reliable and sustained sourse of pods.

Thoughts?
Brilliant! I have a canister running on the 75 with some sponges and basically rubble. I could totally transfer that to the 125! Or grab one of the Fluvals from the garage...

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant! I have a canister running on the 75 with some sponges and basically rubble. I could totally transfer that to the 125! Or grab one of the Fluvals from the garage...
Does I gather a bunch of junk? I'm trying to avoid nutrient build up in the can and leave the collection to the hob. How's the life in the can?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Does I gather a bunch of junk? I'm trying to avoid nutrient build up in the can and leave the collection to the hob. How's the life in the can?
We'll, funny you should ask.... I don't have any clue. Tank's been up and running for a little over a year now and I have never opened it.... Still has lots of flow coming out of it so I'd assume not too much. Nutrient levels stay pretty even (high 20s) but I don't do any water changes...

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll, funny you should ask.... I don't have any clue. Tank's been up and running for a little over a year now and I have never opened it.... Still has lots of flow coming out of it so I'd assume not too much. Nutrient levels stay pretty even (high 20s) but I don't do any water changes...
That's kinda what I'm shooting for. My sponges are pretty fine, so I may try corser.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The count: 51 coral frags, 4 fish (3 more with copper qt ending on Monday), various cuc. What's the right number of frags?
IMG_20221020_185643452.jpg

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure you can see from the picture, but copper treatment ends tomorrow!
IMG_20221023_165230040_HDR.jpg

I will do a few water changes to get most of the copper out. I will then stray from Jay Hamdal's best practice and add the fish to the display. In part because I want to see them in there and in part because running hyposalinity is to treat for flukes and other parasites. We'll, I have seen my dartfish skipping off the sand sometimes so flukes may already be in the tank. I'll just treat the whole thing will Rally pro for 3 days and call it.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The count: 51 coral frags, 4 fish (3 more with copper qt ending on Monday), various cuc. What's the right number of frags?
IMG_20221020_185643452.jpg
I have 21 acro frags in my 40b. I feel like that's too many. I want large colonies, but then I do this as well. You only have too many when you say so yourself.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 21 acro frags in my 40b. I feel like that's too many. I want large colonies, but then I do this as well. You only have too many when you say so yourself.
21 acros are a lot. But I love knowing I'm not alone. After getting my first gonis and micromussa I now want them all!

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21 acros are a lot. But I love knowing I'm not alone. After getting my first gonis and micromussa I now want them all!
I have a 150g sitting on the floor so I can have more corals lol. That will be my next 10 year build, but the cost for everything I want is pretty high. I figure I don't want to be unsatisfied with a tank for 10 years because I went cheap on something. Very slowly saving up. It would be a lot faster if I stopped buying coral.....

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g sitting on the floor so I can have more corals lol. That will be my next 10 year build, but the cost for everything I want is pretty high. I figure I don't want to be unsatisfied with a tank for 10 years because I went cheap on something. Very slowly saving up. It would be a lot faster if I stopped buying coral.....
That is the trouble. One day the tank will be "full" and we will not want or need to buy more. But until that day, we stay strapped.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
That is the trouble. One day the tank will be "full" and we will not want or need to buy more. But until that day, we stay strapped.
Its the journey; not the destination that makes it worthwhile.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got the 120?
Yeah. Needs a clean and polish before I add fish. It was the quintessential purchase from the book of faces. I feel like I both overpaid and got a good deal. They cave about 100# of rock too. Return pump is in the sump but I don't know anything about it. I didn't investigate that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back