410 gal SPS tank build in SW Florida

nitrox36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, Very clean setup, I especially want to say bravo, all that wiring is a mess normally and there is only so much you can do, but you have done a sweet job keeping it clean. Nicley done. How long was it from water to fish?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep the photos coming! :D

OP
OP
SteveM10

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, Very clean setup, I especially want to say bravo, all that wiring is a mess normally and there is only so much you can do, but you have done a sweet job keeping it clean. Nicley done. How long was it from water to fish?

I started the tank on Feb 10th and added my first fish to it on Mar 9th.

OP
OP
SteveM10

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question that I am hoping someone reading this thread might be able to help with. As I said earlier I added some very fine sand to this tank and now wish I hadn't. I may try to fix this at some point in the future or just add some larger grain sand over top of it. However, my question is about the sand being blown around in the tank and is there a way to tell the difference between sand being blown around or having an issue with microbubbles? I can't tell and if it is a problem with microbubbles I want to fix it. I do not know where the microbubbles would be coming from though. The way my sump is set up it would be hard pressed to get bubbles going back via the return. If anyone has any suggestions about how to tell the difference please let me know.

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow very impressive build. This would be my dream build. Having a dedicated room just for tank maintenance is so nice!!!. Those mini split AC units work great. I'm def subscribing.

SchnitzelReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question that I am hoping someone reading this thread might be able to help with. As I said earlier I added some very fine sand to this tank and now wish I hadn't. I may try to fix this at some point in the future or just add some larger grain sand over top of it. However, my question is about the sand being blown around in the tank and is there a way to tell the difference between sand being blown around or having an issue with microbubbles? I can't tell and if it is a problem with microbubbles I want to fix it. I do not know where the microbubbles would be coming from though. The way my sump is set up it would be hard pressed to get bubbles going back via the return. If anyone has any suggestions about how to tell the difference please let me know.

I would put my money on it being sand. With the amount of flow u got going on, it's gunna blow almost any sand. I'd get the heaviest sand just under crushed coral. (I've heard of a few people having nitrate/phosphate issues when using crushed coral as the sand bed..but it doesn't blow around cuz it's so heavy)

Xingu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Turn the pumps off. If they go up, they are bubbles. If they settle to the bottom, it is sand.
I would not put larger grains over the smaller. Siphon out an area and replace with larger grain sand. Do this over an extended period of time and you should be fine.

MrSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with Schnitzel - probably sand. If it's microbubbles, you'd probably be seeing some building up somewhere on your liverock - especially if there's any area where they could congregate on the underside of some rock.

Stinger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Steve this is AWESOME dude!! And My Wife thinks Im a Reef NUT!! HUH !! what does she Know?? I said look at this Honey!! she said dont get no ideas??? LOL

ammari33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WaaW amazing... I have two questions...1- From where did you get the two RO tanks?..... 2- what type of rock didi you put it in the tank?

OP
OP
SteveM10

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WaaW amazing... I have two questions...1- From where did you get the two RO tanks?..... 2- what type of rock didi you put it in the tank?

I got the storage tanks from here... water tanks, plastic tanks, septic tanks

The rock was all dry rock I got from reefrocks.net I used one piece of live rock I picked up locally to seed it.

Last edited:

diamondreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank! :) ... I would love to see this in person... I live in St. Pete, Fl...not sure how far away but I am curious how much something like this would cost... looks like I need to win the lotto though for something as amazing as this... lol

spacetime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing build. Looks great. Was any of the rock you used live? I used all reef saver rock for my 15g and had major problems until I added a lot of live rock. But then again I have a nano, so it may not be applicable. Hope all goes well.

Sacohen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing build. Looks great. Was any of the rock you used live? I used all reef saver rock for my 15g and had major problems until I added a lot of live rock. But then again I have a nano, so it may not be applicable. Hope all goes well.

About 4 posts back from yours he said it was all dry rock except one starter piece of live rock.

The rock was all dry rock I got from reefrocks.net I used one piece of live rock I picked up locally to seed it.

OP
OP
SteveM10

SteveM10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank! :) ... I would love to see this in person... I live in St. Pete, Fl...not sure how far away but I am curious how much something like this would cost... looks like I need to win the lotto though for something as amazing as this... lol

Let me know anytime you are out this way. Would love to have you stop by. I am less than 30 minutes from St. Pete.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 39 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back