425 gallon tank stocking

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 8 months ago I had a terrible crash due to sulfur in the tank and now I am struggling with restocking as of now I have:
Large blue ring anglefish
Large regal tang
Large bird wrasse
3 6” moorish idols
1 lyretail
small sailain tang
Small naso
Small vilimingi
Small stripped Bristol tooth
Small niger trigger
Coral beauty
2 maroon clowns
2 mandarin gobies

I know that the list seems long but the tank looks very empty. Any suggestions on other stocking options

12A02AF4-E128-41EB-8B05-D0F6716FE4DF.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thats quite a bit, but you can add some movement:
Anthias school of 5
Trio of firefish goby
Copperband butterfly
Gem tang or Achiilles Tang
Chocolate tang
Unicorn tang

Jerry Barnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always trying to learn. Can you explain what caused the sulfur in the tank?

OP
OP
btackerman

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 morsh idols? dang I would be happy with one.
haha what did you get it eating with?
There are several things that I do take into account. I bought them from saltwater fish.com and they came in very healthy but the main reason is they have a 100% 14 day guarantee so if it dies you will receive a credit. Also a large tank helps as well. I will take pictures and videos of the steps below as well through out the days today.

As I did my research though I learned that the main problem with these fish is getting them to eat and due to not being aggressive they won’t fight for their food. So I do have one that is eating very well and here is what I do everyday.

automatic feeder that drops pellets an hour after the lights come on

i have made 2 algae feeding stations in the middle of the tank and I use rods algae and alternate everyday. Red and green, green and purple, purple and red. This is about mid day. I also do not leave algae in for longer than an hour so it makes the a little aggressive.

The last feeding I feel is very important. This is as I am shutting down for the night And it is all frozen foods. I use 1 cube of hikari anglefish and butterfly food. Then from a packet of the reef multipack do a different cube everyday. Then I also alternatefrom frozen krill, clam strips and half clams. Then add your garlic to the mix.

this will ensure that the aggressive eaters will get the nutrition they need but not everything will be gone by the time the moorish idol eats.they also do better acclimating in groups and idk if it is me but as soon as one saw my regal graze on the rocks it did as well but would also get the others to graze to. Now I have had 1 months of success so hopefully it keeps up.

BBECFC3C-95B9-494C-AB9E-B3D20105A171.jpeg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several things that I do take into account. I bought them from saltwater fish.com and they came in very healthy but the main reason is they have a 100% 14 day guarantee so if it dies you will receive a credit. Also a large tank helps as well. I will take pictures and videos of the steps below as well through out the days today.

As I did my research though I learned that the main problem with these fish is getting them to eat and due to not being aggressive they won’t fight for their food. So I do have one that is eating very well and here is what I do everyday.

automatic feeder that drops pellets an hour after the lights come on

i have made 2 algae feeding stations in the middle of the tank and I use rods algae and alternate everyday. Red and green, green and purple, purple and red. This is about mid day. I also do not leave algae in for longer than an hour so it makes the a little aggressive.

The last feeding I feel is very important. This is as I am shutting down for the night And it is all frozen foods. I use 1 cube of hikari anglefish and butterfly food. Then from a packet of the reef multipack do a different cube everyday. Then I also alternatefrom frozen krill, clam strips and half clams. Then add your garlic to the mix.

this will ensure that the aggressive eaters will get the nutrition they need but not everything will be gone by the time the moorish idol eats.they also do better acclimating in groups and idk if it is me but as soon as one saw my regal graze on the rocks it did as well but would also get the others to graze to. Now I have had 1 months of success so hopefully it keeps up.

BBECFC3C-95B9-494C-AB9E-B3D20105A171.jpeg

cool I have always love this fish tried one years ago when I was a noob for a 125 fish only did not go good. so I have never tried one again.
however I am planning a old basement reno into a media room with large fish only system. tank will be 300 gal. min. to 800 gal. so maybe I'll try a for a pair or group if I go large?

what about an emp. angel that is on my list for sure.

OP
OP
btackerman

btackerman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could get one but I do have the blue ring angle so major aggression there but one thing I do wish I would have done is the angelfish after the moorish. There was a lot of aggression between the 2

Back