OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I've been thinking about things and I've decided to make some changes.

I'm disappointed in the fact that I was a dummy to not start with real live rock. But I'm not losing sleep over it.
I'm going to do like a 2 or 3 shipment swap out of the rock. I need to do this pretty soon here.

But in the immediate future, someone mentioned mud slurry to me and I didn't know what they were talking about...I was like WHAT? But I see what ya did. So, yeah this is a good idea. My tank is barren man. I need to get some life in it so any opportunity I get to do that, I'm going to add stuff. The mud is to mix with the mud I have in my refugium which I should have done a long time ago...duh and the sand I can just turn the pumps off for a while and drop it in the tank.

So yeah, I paid close to 90 bucks for stinky mud and some sand. Hey, this hobby is pretty cheap maaaaaan!!! I can't say I've ever paid this much for something so dumb. I've unlocked a new level of dumb. Let's hope not though. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Stay tuned for the next episode where I buy toenail clippings on ebay for reasons yet unknown to me...maybe because that's the only way to outdo this.:grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toenail clipping, surefire way to increase your microbiome diversity, $50 shipped!
Maybe even introduce pests in severe cases. :grinning-squinting-face:

On a serious note, I think the mud and sand is a great idea and it's on the way. That will be a great addition.
I'm loving my new anthias so much I'm going right now to buy 3 more. They add so much more activity and color to the tank and this species seems to be very peaceful and good eaters. They eat pellets, frozen plankton, brine shrimp and even reef chili. I've been giving them 3 different feedings of different stuff per day. And they're healthy.

Oh, and the UV is defeating the terrurists. My little routine is doing the job. I didn't even dose peroxide last night and there is a big improvement today. I'm thinking in a few days we could be all good. But I'm still adding the mud and sand because it's the wise thing to do for the future. I need to get this sand and mud I have here alive with "things". It seems that if you manually suspend the dinos with a turkey baster at lights off, the UV gets them so the population is diminishing.

Corals are happy and my acros are growing which is cool. Millepora much more so than the tenuis. One of my tenuis may be a hard nut to crack, but I'll keep watching to see what direction I go with it. Some like less and others more.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe even introduce pests in severe cases. :grinning-squinting-face:

On a serious note, I think the mud and sand is a great idea and it's on the way. That will be a great addition.
I'm loving my new anthias so much I'm going right now to buy 3 more. They add so much more activity and color to the tank and this species seems to be very peaceful and good eaters. They eat pellets, frozen plankton, brine shrimp and even reef chili. I've been giving them 3 different feedings of different stuff per day. And they're healthy.

Oh, and the UV is defeating the terrurists. My little routine is doing the job. I didn't even dose peroxide last night and there is a big improvement today. I'm thinking in a few days we could be all good. But I'm still adding the mud and sand because it's the wise thing to do for the future. I need to get this sand and mud I have here alive with "things". It seems that if you manually suspend the dinos with a turkey baster at lights off, the UV gets them so the population is diminishing.

Corals are happy and my acros are growing which is cool. Millepora much more so than the tenuis. One of my tenuis may be a hard nut to crack, but I'll keep watching to see what direction I go with it. Some like less and others more.
Pic of the new fish or it didn't happen!

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic of the new fish or it didn't happen!
I think I'll probably add even more, but let these guys all settle in. Probably a few dispars next time which also do good in shallow water. One of the anthias is hiding in a coral right now. He came out, ate and went back. I guess he's claiming a spot for the night. lol But lots of swimming which is what I wanted. My flame hawk just peeks around and my melanurus just roams and keeps to himself. Diamond goby is constantly digging and eating.

All of them eat, all of them come up for food. I gotta get some food too man. dang!

1708219237139.jpeg

1708221066733.jpeg

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is fire, man! I will be adding a trio of anthias to my 60 cube too! And a school of chromis! Such cool, underrated fish! If only my stupid ato container would ship....grr!

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is fire, man! I will be adding a trio of anthias to my 60 cube too! And a school of chromis! Such cool, underrated fish! If only my stupid ato container would ship....grr!
I'm eventually going to get an ATO container too and another ATK kit for my apex so I can transfer water from the larger container to the smaller one in my sump, then into the tank. Just to give me some more time away.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm eventually going to get an ATO container too and another ATK kit for my apex so I can transfer water from the larger container to the smaller one in my sump, then into the tank. Just to give me some more time away.
That's a good idea!

I bought a trigger sapphire 5 gal container from premium aquatics because they had it on sale for about 50 less than everywhere else and it was listed as in stock when I ordered. They emailed me the same day and said they had their stock numbers wrong and were out of stock. Said it would be about three weeks to get another one from Trigger. Well three weeks was Wednesday last week. I hit them up for an update mid week and they told me they would reach out to trigger to get more info on their shipment, and I never heard back. It is the only thing holding my build back, because I can't fill the tank until the container is placed behind the stand and then stand gets pushed back against the wall. But I am on a pretty tight budget so the money I saved is worth the frustrating wait I guess.

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea!

I bought a trigger sapphire 5 gal container from premium aquatics because they had it on sale for about 50 less than everywhere else and it was listed as in stock when I ordered. They emailed me the same day and said they had their stock numbers wrong and were out of stock. Said it would be about three weeks to get another one from Trigger. Well three weeks was Wednesday last week. I hit them up for an update mid week and they told me they would reach out to trigger to get more info on their shipment, and I never heard back. It is the only thing holding my build back, because I can't fill the tank until the container is placed behind the stand and then stand gets pushed back against the wall. But I am on a pretty tight budget so the money I saved is worth the frustrating wait I guess.
I have almost a 7 gallon capacity in my sump. I would like to add about 10+ gallons....but a solenoid valve directly from my RO wouldnt be bad either. I would just have to trust it.

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today everything looks so much better. Very Happy with this. The dinos are disappearing. The corals look a lot happier.

Today is the first day the corals are going to receive some more white, cyan and UV light in the peak of the photoperiod.

I am using a preset that comes in the light called "shallow reef" which is very white like a 6500k Iwasaki, only much more convincing that you're looking at real sunlight. Very intense and visually amazing how it mimics the sun. I'm running that for 1.5 hrs in the middle of my scheme.

I'm going to take some measurements at peak in about an hour and forty-five and we'll see what everyone's getting out of curiosity and how the corals respond. If they like it, they will usually extend more to catch as much as they can. If it's too much they'll pull in from my own experience.

And all the fish are doing awesome. No struggles, or violence. My melanurus has taken a few pokes at them, but not gone after anyone. Everyone seems tolerant. Keeping the food plentiful and we'll be fine. And I'm adding more, so for all those "overstock police", I got a deal running on fish poop!

The next updates will be "fun with expensive mud" and maybe tomorrow if my cleanup crew arrives (the earlier one was lost by UPS), there will be 6 new acro colonies already paid for, set aside that are coming home too, along with 150 small snails and hermits. These will be put in my refugium, the large compartment before the refugium and in the display.:grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

1708291675351.jpeg

1708291727601.jpeg

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At peak of the photoperiod I am getting close to 500 par at the tops of my higher up corals and mid 300s to the mid level ones. The ones lower on the rocks are getting mid-high 200s. This is enough light and visibly it's offensively bright. If I had to sit too close to the tank for too long i'd get a headache for sure.

The light is only at half power. So yeah, if you had a much taller tank than I do, you have no issue. :thinking-face:

Dinos are still almost gone. No accumulations that I would have en-masse by peak.
Just need some cleanup critters to take care of the algae and this is all whooped man. UV FTW!!!!

I gotta go play some guitar man...

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos Appear to be all gone. Hi mom!

My corals seem to be improving by the day under this Straton.

This green one, there are three branches that are growing....

1708398720381.jpeg

And this guy is starting to get a really gorgeous solid pink. I dont know what will hppen with the polyps, but the coral color is getting more intense. I love this one...
1708399058890.jpeg

This one I'm not sure. I know it needs high light, but this is the one that the crab was eating.
I'm leaving it where it is and it will come around I'm sure. I dont even know what it's supposed to do, so we'll find out. Some of them are awesome, and others are boring. I think it needs more current though, so I'm going to upgrade to another nero5.

1708399278989.jpeg

And this dude, just kicks butt man...

1708399522587.jpeg

And my other tenuis is doing fine, but I think I'm going to get more light to it. There are no signs of growth here yet that I've tracked. But the colors are decent on this one. I'm gradually turning up the lights so eventually it will respond.
1708399744327.jpeg

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll call 12:00AM the time of death for the Dinos. They're eradicated. No chemicals, no lights out, no crap. Just a little work and some UV. I didnt even need the expensive live mud and sand, but it will be here soon too and I cant wait to throw that in.

Look at what's happening with this coral! I sure hope it to be one of the main big stags in my tank. We'll see. I don't even know what it is. I didn't buy it. It was given to me and it's been chillin' a while, but then I moved it and turned the lights up more and suddenly BAM. There are going to be branches everywhere and I think I put it in just the right spot. I cant wait to see it in even 2 or 3 weeks...you can even see how it's reaching to stick itself down to that rock on the left side. There will be frags of this one going to people in the future I'm sure.

I wont lie man. I miss the LOOK of the Kessils and I am putting them back on each end angled inwards for blue and shading resistance. We'll talk more about that in the future. But this Straton Pro is like THE LIGHT to get if you want to grow some stuff man. Even that little piece of crap frag in back of it is starting to lay a base. I can't even believe it survived this long as a spec of nothing. I forget what it is, but it is some high in demand thingy and it was free. It's red and green. Hopefully it's glorious too. lol

1708459950489.jpeg

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this part in my head in the voice of Fillmore from Cars....:face-with-tears-of-joy: if you have kids or grandkids, I am sure you know what I am talking about...:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
LOL! I'm all paid off and still under warranty! ;) I have a 25 year old. We drag race 1/4 and 1/2 mile, we go to concerts together, we get wasted and set each others socks on fire...and yup, we love all that stupid crap too. It's like ******* The Movie meets Hoonigan over here.
:grinning-squinting-face:

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I have 6 new acro colonies and I've added 150 snails and hermits to my system. LOL
Yeah, it's a few...now if my wrasse doesnt kill them all, I have a cleanup crew, so there's that.

I'll get some pics up later. I have to get these colonies squared away now.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I have 6 new acro colonies and I've added 150 snails and hermits to my system. LOL
Yeah, it's a few...now if my wrasse doesnt kill them all, I have a cleanup crew, so there's that.

I'll get some pics up later. I have to get these colonies squared away now.
That’s a ton of clean up crew.. most of them are gonna die off from starvation… I think I got 6 crabs and maybe 15 snails in a 300 and it’s always clean lol..

OP
OP
CBonito

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a ton of clean up crew.. most of them are gonna die off from starvation… I think I got 6 crabs and maybe 15 snails in a 300 and it’s always clean lol..
I'm betting most of them will be melanurus food. I have them broken up into my refugium, the rock compartment before it and in my display.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%

Back