450+ ORP since converting to Triton Method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Jaculus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began the switch over to Triton Method about 6 weeks ago. I have a 200DD tank HEAVILY stocked with fish and corals. It's a 4 year mature tank and very healthy. I also have a 125 gal sump/refugium. The conversion to Triton involved obviously stopping 50 gal per week water changes, removing UV, changing to an external skimmer to make room for chamber 1 in the sump to be the main chaeto chamber. I also upgraded the Apex Classic to the newer 2016 model and added an extra set of DOS/DDR to accommodate the four dosing materials.

The center section of my fuge is still a large section of Calurpa. So I am growing chaeto in the first chamber and 3 types of Calurpa and a few Mangroves in the center section with a LOT of light. Yes I run 24 hour cycle on the lights since I do not want the calurpa to even have the possibility of going asexual (sexual whatever) and I am always struggling to raise my PH anyhow.

Here's my question though, is it normal to have very high ORP levels? Mine have been increasing from the mid 300's before converting to Triton to now in the mid 400's with spikes over 460. I know to not chase ORP levels and the ORP is following the normal inverse trend of the ph (see attached screenshot). I am not doing any extra ORP raising techniques such as Ozone etc. I have cleaned the ORP probe and had negligible changes in values when I clean the probe.

Again, I know ORP is not something to "chase" and in our tanks its pretty much just another alarm indicating issues with our tanks. BUT can these high levels be dangerous? Have others noticed increased or potentially harmful raised ORP levels with Triton method?

ORP and PH.JPG

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that, normally ORP tend to drop and remain at low side levels when you do weekly water changes.
Since you stopped your weekly water changes, ORP is able to raise to levels that you didn't get before.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back