45gal cube lighting

brow82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45gal cube with a hydra 32 for lighting as was advised at lfs but getting mixed thoughts now off other reefers on if it's enough so got mentioned about getting a Reef Brite XHO-K26 LED my budget is bit limited at min due to family reasons so would just run on a timer for now whats people's thoughts?? Or need to get the dimmer/ controller straight away due to intensity?

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45gal cube with a hydra 32 for lighting as was advised at lfs but getting mixed thoughts now off other reefers on if it's enough so got mentioned about getting a Reef Brite XHO-K26 LED my budget is bit limited at min due to family reasons so would just run on a timer for now whats people's thoughts?? Or need to get the dimmer/ controller straight away due to intensity?
Truly up to you. I recommend Kessil lights very nice and easy to manage.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions of the tank? What corals are you keeping?

Is this the Reef Brite kit with 2 bars totaling 54 watts? Does that sound right?

OP
OP
B

brow82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 24 x24 cube I have a mixed reef (hammers, torch, fair few zoas small monti plate etc) currently hydra is mounted 14" off the surface for best spread

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's a 24 x24 cube I have a mixed reef (hammers, torch, fair few zoas small monti plate etc) currently hydra is mounted 14" off the surface for best spread

I think you are fine but a PAR meter can help make the best decision. Adding an LED bar of some kind can also help down the road. Orphek does well when mounted higher like the Hydra

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo in reality probably adding like 32W to your 90w Hydra.
Depending on how much you are choking the Hydra it is a fair addition of PAR
and relatively inexpensive.

What makes you question the Hydra?
Yea if you are shutting down like 50% of the output that could be an issue, depending.

Keep in mind that adding the led bars and not dimming the hydra will probably be shocking..

OP
OP
B

brow82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More of expanding the spread to get more even coverage getting rid of the perimeter dead spots

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back