480g sps shallows + 1000g build

T5 setup

• 4 6x54 ati sunpowers

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • 2 6x54 x 2 4x54w ati sunpowers with reefbrites .

Votes: 29 85.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Recklessryan904

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch that hurts...
Yea I was pretty irritated about it but I tried to be positive and enjoy how happy I am with the tank . This hobby is all about trial / error and overcoming obstacles to recreate a little piece of the ocean in our own homes . It was one of those things where you have to step back, drink a beer and figure out a solution . I have a lot more to look forward to then letting one little speed bump throw me off . The 55g water tanks come tomorrow and the RFG nozzles come this weeks .

OP
OP
Recklessryan904

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, epic build! Thanks for the suggestion to run the Random Flow Generator nozzles with the sea swirls. I've order them and now can't wait to try them out.
Thank you ! I’m very excited to use them . It will help achieve my goal of having clean viewing panels that aren’t covered in power heads . I’m sure the fish and Acros will be happy also .

Zephrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a gate valve on one of your drain lines. How are you going to tune them to be silent?

Inlet screens are a good idea too.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeflo volute crack looks like a Teflon tape injury.

The only challenge with using the RFG nozzles is that they need to be submerged quite a bit to prevent splashing; which also means a lot of potential back siphon. I'm using them on a CL, and they work fine. Dont think I'd use them on the return.

OP
OP
Recklessryan904

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see a gate valve on one of your drain lines. How are you going to tune them to be silent?

Inlet screens are a good idea too.
My wife and I actually like a little overflow noise . The tank is pretty silent so far , I was worried how loud the reeflo pumps would be . The overflow box is louder than the pumps .

OP
OP
Recklessryan904

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The only challenge with using the RFG nozzles is that they need to be submerged quite a bit to prevent splashing; which also means a lot of potential back siphon. I'm using them on a CL, and they work fine. Dont think I'd use them on the return.
Unfortunately I’m pretty sure it’s my fault but it’s a minor setback . The new volute should be here this week .

OP
OP
Recklessryan904

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have missed it but what is your plan for humidity control in your home?
Sorry I didn’t reply . I don’t have anything setup as of now . I’m waiting to complete the tank and feel it out . Heat/humidity was one of my biggest concerns planning this setup . First option obviously would be a dehumidifier but another option I have on the back burner is a exhaust fan hooked up to the canopy to pull heat out .http://www.reefaddicts.com/entry.php/1426-Fishroom-Vent-Fan here is a great article to help out .

756C4323-5B7D-494E-8712-8DFC2DBDF613.png

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ca1ore advice is good - especially given the amount of flow you're planning to drive the nozzle with. With that much flow, they will create a pretty wide, randomized flow pattern. However in your case, I think you'll be good since the 4 nozzle appear to point toward the center of the tank.

Can't wait to see the RFG running in this build.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn’t reply . I don’t have anything setup as of now . I’m waiting to complete the tank and feel it out . Heat/humidity was one of my biggest concerns planning this setup . First option obviously would be a dehumidifier but another option I have on the back burner is a exhaust fan hooked up to the canopy to pull heat out .http://www.reefaddicts.com/entry.php/1426-Fishroom-Vent-Fan here is a great article to help out .

756C4323-5B7D-494E-8712-8DFC2DBDF613.png

I would strongly advise to have humidity measures in place before the system is up and running given its large volume. If humidity is not mitigated from the start it will allow excess moisture to absorb into your home which can give you a false sense that there is not a humidity issue. I just made another video on the humidity control measures I have in place as it has recently been a topic of discussion on R2R.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree. I only have about 300 gallons TWV and my humidity in the house can jump to 70%. I've isolated my fish room from the house and run a portable AC unit to cool and dehumidify as well. Since doing this, I no longer have to run my dehumifier in the main portion of my house any more and levels have dropped back in the 50s range.

I've taken those measures with the new house because my last tank, 250 gallons roughly, caused a ton of humidity related damage in the house over the years. Drywall tape was falling off the walls, paint bubbling, vents rusting, etc, and I'm not dealing with the volume of water you have going on.
I would strongly advise to have humidity measures in place before the system is up and running given its large volume. If humidity is not mitigated from the start it will allow excess moisture to absorb into your home which can give you a false sense that there is not a humidity issue. I just made another video on the humidity control measures I have in place as it has recently been a topic of discussion on R2R.

OP
OP
Recklessryan904

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Awesome system and very informative video! I will be taking the sump cover idea and using the ventilation system .

OP
OP
Recklessryan904

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After another bag of salt everything is looking good and I will be adding in the fritz bacteria today.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have significant humidity issue with the basement fish room on my system in the warmer months. I run a blower into the room when the outside RH is conducive to do so; a dehumidifier when it is not. Room that the display sits in needs nothing beyond the house AC system. When I ran my big tanks with an enclosed hood I did employ venting fans.

OP
OP
Recklessryan904

Recklessryan904

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have significant humidity issue with the basement fish room on my system in the warmer months. I run a blower into the room when the outside RH is conducive to do so; a dehumidifier when it is not. Room that the display sits in needs nothing beyond the house AC system. When I ran my big tanks with an enclosed hood I did employ venting fans.
This is good to know and now I will figuring out a solution for humidity .

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 84 42.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 97 49.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.5%
Back