Lagoon UNS 90L build

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

This is my first build thread and hope it's going to be a fun one!

I have been in freshwater aquascaping for quite some years before, but went all-in on reefing for over a year now and I'm quite passionate about it. Currently I own a Reefer 170 including a sump and Apex controller.

However, aesthetics plays a big roll in pretty much everything I do. Personally, I'm not that fond of black silicon edges, black overflows or visible plumbing. On the other hand, I absolutely love long lagoon tanks, clear glass and minimalist approaches. I also like it to be relatively easy movable since there are plans of moving somewhere down the line. So basically, this build is going to focus on a clean looking small reef tank avoiding visual distractions as much as possible. I also like to follow the philosophy of keeping things technically simple this time, but still keeping some redundancy in mind.

The tank will feature a spectrum of LPS and in the long run hopefully some SPS as well on three little islands. I won't be doing much softies.

Considering the sump, I've been putting a lot of thoughts on this for a long time, even before I had the Reefer 170. I do see the advantages (and disadvantages) of having a sump, had one for over a year now. However, I also believe that with a tight maintenance routine I could make a canister filter work as well, so I can make use of glass lily pipes with skimmer for a cleaner appearance. For this I'm using a Oase Biomaster filter that has a pre-filter (which I tend to clean 1-2 times a week) and a build-in heater. I had this filter before and it worked pretty well. I kind of see this like a glorified HOB filter, just with more options and out of sight. For example, there are some interesting devices to hook up on a canister filter, like an algae reactor or UV filter.

To start of my build, here is the most important component. I choose the UNS 90L which holds about 21 gallon. Always loved this ratio from UNS and finally got one.

UNS_90L_tankshot_01.jpg

This is the current plan of DIY cabinet inspired by ADA cabinets. I've build stands before and so far had great succes with 18mm plywood.
3D_sketches_cabinet_01.jpg

Some of the equipment I already have, some I still need to buy, some I will buy when needed (like the algae reactor).

List of planned Equipment
Lights: AI Blade 30 inch coral grow. Will test the PAR to see if one is enough. It's a shallow and slim tank so who knows.
Flow: AI Nero 5, already have this one.
Filter: Oase Biomaster Thermo 250 with build-in heater. I might add a Reef Factory temp control for redundancy later.
Algae Reactor: Tunze 3181. Will buy this only when needed.
Doser: Reef Factory dosing pump x4, already have this one.
ATO: Currently planning to do this through the dosing pump on a minimal amount and topping off the last part manually. If this doesn't work in the long run I will look for the smallest out of sight-ish ATO I can find.
UV filter: Aqua Medic Helix Max 2.0 11W, already have this one and will only hook this up when needed. It's nice to already have it installed just in case.

I might add more things from Reef Factory later if needed. Particularly interested in some power switchers or maybe a KH keeper plus or the new smart tester in the long run. Too bad they didn't make a KH, NO3, PO4 one yet, where I would mainly be interested in. But we'll see, just want to start with the basics first and go from there.

Not sure when the next update will be with having two small daughters running around, but the next post will probably be about the AI blade or some progress on the cabinet.

Hope you'll follow along the ride with me!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along and best of luck!

OP
OP
dennislagoon

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, here's an update! Made big leaps lately and love how the clean look of the tank and the cabinet turned out.

Currently it's already filled with tap water to do some testing, like leaks, flow rate, temp. But also did some tests like what happens if I block the lily pipe intake at the bottom. Turns out it will start sucking in air via the skimmer part of the lily pipe, which I kind of hoped it would. It will make the canister go crazy with air, but that's a better alternative than an overflowing tank.

Here are some pictures.

Once the daughters went off to bed, I took almost every evening an hour or so to make some progress. This is the cabinet before I painted it:

Cabinet_01.jpg

Cabinet painted and the tank at his new place:
DSC06840.jpg

The only thing that changed in my cabinet from my original plan was the UV filter mounted vertically instead of horizontally at the top. Mainly to avoid air being trapped. Hope there will still be enough room for the Tunze Algae Reactor:
DSC06854.jpg

The clean look of the lily pipes. Tank is currently too close to the back wall however, so I will move it an inch or so once I'm done testing and empty out the tap water:
DSC06852.jpg

And boy, do I love that AI blade unit so far. Amazing colors and above all, I love the wide spread right into the tank. Can't wait to see how it looks once the coral are in:
DSC06855.jpg

Hopefully I will have time to make the transfer this week, maybe the week after, so more to come soon!

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, here's an update! Made big leaps lately and love how the clean look of the tank and the cabinet turned out.

Currently it's already filled with tap water to do some testing, like leaks, flow rate, temp. But also did some tests like what happens if I block the lily pipe intake at the bottom. Turns out it will start sucking in air via the skimmer part of the lily pipe, which I kind of hoped it would. It will make the canister go crazy with air, but that's a better alternative than an overflowing tank.

Here are some pictures.

Once the daughters went off to bed, I took almost every evening an hour or so to make some progress. This is the cabinet before I painted it:

Cabinet_01.jpg

DSC06840.jpg

The only thing that changed in my cabinet from my original plan was the UV filter mounted vertically instead of horizontally at the top. Mainly to avoid air being trapped. Hope there will still be enough room for the Tunze Algae Reactor:
DSC06854.jpg

The clean look of the lily pipes. Tank is currently too close to the back wall however, so I will move it an inch or so once I'm done testing and empty out the tap water:
DSC06852.jpg

And boy, do I love that AI blade unit so far. Amazing colors and above all, I love the wide spread right into the tank. Can't wait to see how it looks once the coral are in:
DSC06855.jpg

Hopefully I will have time to make the transfer this week, maybe the week after, so more to come soon!
Awesome, so clean! I'm big into glass and white myself (everything is white here, also!)

Are you going to manually keep it topped off?

If I may recommend an additional blade light for improved coverage, depending on what you plan to keep ;). Which color did you go with?

OP
OP
dennislagoon

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks amazing, @MartinM.

For now, I will be topping off a minimal amount with my doser and top off the rest manually if needed.

The AI blade is the ‘growth’ one. My tank is only 30cm/12 inch in height and dept and the coverage actually looks great. Once the corals are in I’m going to be testing the PAR to see how the blade really performs.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks amazing, @MartinM.

For now, I will be topping off a minimal amount with my doser and top off the rest manually if needed.

The AI blade is the ‘growth’ one. My tank is only 30cm/12 inch in height and dept and the coverage actually looks great. Once the corals are in I’m going to be testing the PAR to see how the blade really performs.
Thanks, and please keep us updated! I actually really like smaller tanks especially done tastefully.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here are some pictures.

Cabinet_01.jpg

DSC06840.jpg

DSC06854.jpg

DSC06852.jpg

DSC06855.jpg

cabinet is incredible looking!

OP
OP
dennislagoon

dennislagoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. The transfer went well a week ago and everything is going steady. No losses so that’s great.

Planned to do an update with photos including a couple of new frags I ordered, but the shipping got delayed 3 times and everything was DOA, except for maybe one little hermit crab.

Luckily the vendor will be reshipping next week, but it’s still makes me quite sad having animals arriving dead at your doorstep.

So, update with photos will have to wait a little but will be coming soon!

mh0ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just discovered this thread and am also interested in seeing an update! I had/have pretty much the same goals as you and even started my build with the same tank :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back