OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11/20 addition of the @noopsyche record your reef event. Halfway through. I got brave enough to narrate this video so it is a bit longer than normal. Parameters are again..spot on.

Salifert
  • Alk 10.3
  • Ca 430
  • PH 8.05
API
  • Phosphate 0.25
  • Nitrate 5
Refractomer
  • Salinity 1.024
As indicated in the video, my SPS are not happy and am having bleaching around. With the exception of my one frogspawn who was getting too much direct flow for about two weeks when I last cleaned my reefwave, all of my LPS are doing reasonably well. Just went through a 48 hour black out to clean up my rusty sand so a couple of the newer LPS seem a little unhappy. Hopefully just responsive to a big water change and a black out. Will see

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few months of trying to balance the water needs of my family and my tank, my wife finally had enough and told me to start buying RO water. I just could not make enough with my little 10 gallon system for my reef and how much we drink. As such, bought a 5 stage RO/DI from..yup you guessed it, BRS. Now here is the VERY interesting part. I ordered this on Saturday and I got a packed email with a UPS tracking number and on the packing slip it said 1 BRS mystery gift that night. Sunday morning, I got another email and this one had an additional UPS tracking number but the packing slip did not say the mystery gift. When I did the weight check..the original box is 8.2 pounds (which sounds about right for an RO system) and the second box is 17 pounds. Could I have won the Algae scrubber? Intriguing!!

In tank news...my Frogspawn that was getting direct blast from my power head is still throwing and fit and is sucked in. Really hoping I dont lose it. It is one branch that was about to be 4 independent heads. Would be a really bummer!!!

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured out what was going on with my Frogspawn. It wasnt the power head (although I am sure that was part of it). Since I got all of my algae taken care of, my emerald crab decided to take up a homestead between some of the heads given the lack of food else where. Shame but looks like it is time for some shecrab soup!!!

crab cakes boston GIF by Grillax®

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the 5th of 8 NooPscyche record your reef. I will take readings tomorrow and edit this post.

Couple updates: Got a couple new fishies because of a blackfriday impulse buy.

Replaced my fish stick 6 line wrasse
Got a Melanarus wrasse
Got in an impulse firefish

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is the 5th of 8 NooPscyche record your reef. I will take readings tomorrow and edit this post.

Couple updates: Got a couple new fishies because of a blackfriday impulse buy.

Replaced my fish stick 6 line wrasse
Got a Melanarus wrasse
Got in an impulse firefish

Poor fish stick.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor fish stick.
Kinda funny and sad..but my coral beauty and fish stick were pretty tight. When i put in the new 6 line wrasse, the coral beauty tried to pick up where it left of with the other one..and the wrasse wanted NOTHING to do with it. Kept running away and CB kept on chasing.

I am a little nervous though..my flame hawk fish has let it be known that the 6 line wrasse is persona (fishona?) non grata!! I hope it settles down soon.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next Installment of the NooPsyche record your reef. Doesnt look like my froggies are going to make it. I ordered a replacement from the guy i got them from. The fish have settle down although it looks like the new firefish committed fishocide!!! Outside of this...not really much to say in the words of change. Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upped my Potassium Nitrate solution by almost 33%. Looks like I shot a little on the high side as my Nitrate spiked to about 20 PPM. Honestly..tank seems to love it it but I am going to dial my dosing back just a little

Readings:

Salinity 1.024
Alk: 12.1 (changed over to a hanna tester..but this one has me nervous as it represents a 1.8 alk increase in three weeks)
Calcium 412 (changed over to a hanna tester)
Nitrate 20 PPM via an API test kit
Phosphate 0.25 via an API test kit.

Going to give it a day or so and retest. That high alk has me nervous. Might need to dose some calcium 2 part and drop my kalk dosing to level out the numbers.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upped my Potassium Nitrate solution by almost 33%. Looks like I shot a little on the high side as my Nitrate spiked to about 20 PPM. Honestly..tank seems to love it it but I am going to dial my dosing back just a little

Readings:

Salinity 1.024
Alk: 12.1 (changed over to a hanna tester..but this one has me nervous as it represents a 1.8 alk increase in three weeks)
Calcium 412 (changed over to a hanna tester)
Nitrate 20 PPM via an API test kit
Phosphate 0.25 via an API test kit.

Going to give it a day or so and retest. That high alk has me nervous. Might need to dose some calcium 2 part and drop my kalk dosing to level out the numbers.
I think your nitrate and phosphate numbers look good to me I would keep them right there especially for LPS and soft corals as far as your alkalinity number possibly try testing at a local fish store or something but from my experience the Hannas have been very accurate at least compared to my trident it is

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your nitrate and phosphate numbers look good to me I would keep them right there especially for LPS and soft corals as far as your alkalinity number possibly try testing at a local fish store or something but from my experience the Hannas have been very accurate at least compared to my trident it is
I have no doubt that the Alk is right. Just debating how to drop it a nudge while keeping my calcium up. Thoughts?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first thought is how did this happen. Then next I think even if you correct it either the 2 part what will stop it for happening again. I’ve never used kalk so I’m not sure what is a normal reading for alk and cal . Strange to me alk so high and cal only on the low end of normal

Back