48x24x16 Lowboy Build

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to get mine. Will the bracket fit on a black trimmed tank edge? I have a Red Sea 160S light and mounting arm. The arm bracket won't open wide enough to fit on the tank.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can't wait to get mine. Will the bracket fit on a black trimmed tank edge? I have a Red Sea 160S light and mounting arm. The arm bracket won't open wide enough to fit on the tank.
Mine does on the Pro II. It's tight, but it fit.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am optimistic enough I am going to keep these that I am going to put my Radions up on Craigslist and my local reefing club and see if anyone wants em.
If you like these compared to a Radion then I'm really excited to get mine setup to replace some Viparspectra black box lights.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you like these compared to a Radion then I'm really excited to get mine setup to replace some Viparspectra black box lights.
I replaced a 135w Viparspectra with my @noopsyche 90w K7 Pro II. The best move I ever made in my opinion. It seems "brighter" and my corals are definitely happier. Been running it since February so 8 months and going (growing) strong! I've never run expensive lights so I can't compare them to Radions or Ai prime or anything but compared to the black boxes from Amazon, Nicrews, and Coralvue I'm sold.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced a 135w Viparspectra with my @noopsyche 90w K7 Pro II. The best move I ever made in my opinion. It seems "brighter" and my corals are definitely happier. Been running it since February so 8 months and going (growing) strong! I've never run expensive lights so I can't compare them to Radions or Ai prime or anything but compared to the black boxes from Amazon, Nicrews, and Coralvue I'm sold.
I'm replacing two 300 watt viparspectra with 5, or hopefully 6, of the K7 V3. I've had good growth with the viparspectra lights but I suspect they don't have the best spectrum. It just seems like my acroporas don't have the same coloration as what I see from other hobbyists.
I've never used lights from any of the premium brands either. In my reefing history I've used compact fluorescent and metal halide. I do love metal halide, but oh the heat.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm replacing two 300 watt viparspectra with 5, or hopefully 6, of the K7 V3. I've had good growth with the viparspectra lights but I suspect they don't have the best spectrum. It just seems like my acroporas don't have the same coloration as what I see from other hobbyists.
I've never used lights from any of the premium brands either. In my reefing history I've used compact fluorescent and metal halide. I do love metal halide, but oh the heat.
I started with metal halide but I live in a desert. I don't use a cooler so I had to evaporate sooooo much water to stay cool and then the constant bulb changes! I love the way the colors pop under the LEDs. I never got that under MH or CF.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The cords themselves are a little short. My setup has all of the cords on one side of my stand and there was JUST enough to stretch out. Ultimately, I dont mind as they met my needs but for those of you with larger set ups and a more elaborate cord management, you are going to need an extension cord.
I will measure my cords today. I have to reroute them and put them in a power surge. The top cord is short, I'm okay with that. It works well for my situation and setup. The over cord length is well over 8 ft. If you need a longer cord for the power box, at least it can be changed out. A lot of changeable parts.

I sent your write up to @James_O For the controller. Very well done. Perhaps growing up with an Asian mom (broken english) allowed me to understand these lights well. I do view this controller as if I were playing an rpg on a retro game boy. Even my husband was blowing a fuse watching me set things up. He went and bought him some drinks.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will measure my cords today. I have to reroute them and put them in a power surge. The top cord is short, I'm okay with that. It works well for my situation and setup. The over cord length is well over 8 ft. If you need a longer cord for the power box, at least it can be changed out. A lot of changeable parts.

I sent your write up to @James_O For the controller. Very well done. Perhaps growing up with an Asian mom (broken english) allowed me to understand these lights well. I do view this controller as if I were playing an rpg on a retro game boy. Even my husband was blowing a fuse watching me set things up. He went and bought him some drinks.
Great analogy.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great analogy.
I really am happy you took the time to explain the controller. It is the most crucial parts. I hope many give it attention it needs. :) My phone is dead and done. So, I couldn't help james. Makes me sad. He's been fighting with it probably for hours. I hope he has it working. Beautiful color coral pop!

How would you rate the difference from yours? I am super curious.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really am happy you took the time to explain the controller. It is the most crucial parts. I hope many give it attention it needs. :) My phone is dead and done. So, I couldn't help james. Makes me sad. He's been fighting with it probably for hours. I hope he has it working. Beautiful color coral pop!

How would you rate the difference from yours? I am super curious.
Given that I dont have a par meter, I was hesitant to take these out for a spin as I didnt want to give my inhabitants a sun burn..so have all channels at 50%.

Overall, I am pretty happy with color, vividness, polyp extension but I don't know if that is because they are receiving too much / little par compared to my previous settings. Could i just have a better mix of colors? *shrugs*

One thing I am ANNOYED about is that I came downstairs this morning and my lights were on. I dont know if it was all night. I dont know if there was bleed over from another channel. Maybe I screwed up? No clue Again..comes down to a janky controller. I double checked all my three settings and each of them was set to 0% at 10 PM.

GRRR--they just randomly came on AGAIN as i was typing.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How wide is the rim?
It's a regular Aqueon 40B from Petco. The Red Sea mounting arm "will adjust to suit tank glass thickness between 5/16" to 3/4". The black trim on the 40B is 7/8"

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Given that I dont have a par meter, I was hesitant to take these out for a spin as I didnt want to give my inhabitants a sun burn..so have all channels at 50%.

Overall, I am pretty happy with color, vividness, polyp extension but I don't know if that is because they are receiving too much / little par compared to my previous settings. Could i just have a better mix of colors? *shrugs*

One thing I am ANNOYED about is that I came downstairs this morning and my lights were on. I dont know if it was all night. I dont know if there was bleed over from another channel. Maybe I screwed up? No clue Again..comes down to a janky controller. I double checked all my three settings and each of them was set to 0% at 10 PM.
This would be a controller issue. I had to make sure there was a, how did it go.. I selected sps/lps setting programmed that, and held button down . NP controller said " sending signal all lights" Lights were set.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's a regular Aqueon 40B from Petco. The Red Sea mounting arm "will adjust to suit tank glass thickness between 5/16" to 3/4". The black trim on the 40B is 7/8"
opening space of the bracket for lights is 1 and 1/4 of an inch. unless I don't know how to use a tape measure...

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be a controller issue. I had to make sure there was a, how did it go.. I selected sps/lps setting programmed that, and held button down . NP controller said " sending signal all lights" Lights were set.
AHHHH page 10 of the document...you have to set both time interval 1 and 8 to 0%. Got it. When all else fails...RTFM (Read the F*#&$*% manual)

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
GRRR--they just randomly came on AGAIN as i was typing.
AHHHH page 10 of the document...you have to set both time interval 1 and 8 to 0%. Got it. When all else fails...RTFM (Read the F*#&$*% manual)
I was going to try to type that. :( I injured my fingers peeling apples. So i have to type funny now.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1% blue is very powerful. Looks like 15% blue from my old orbit IC's.
I noticed the same thing last night when i tried to do 1% for moonlight but way too powerful.

I wonder if the 1% is powerful because the manual says that it slowly ramps power from previous to next setting. As such, if your previous setting was 1% and the second is 100% without a lot of time in between, is it somewhere in between?

Note: I updated my instructions on my write up for people who need help. To NooPsychee's defense..they did say it in the manual. They specifically called this out MULTIPLE times as this seems to be a common problem.

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I noticed the same thing last night when i tried to do 1% for moonlight but way too powerful.

I wonder if the 1% is powerful because the manual says that it slowly ramps power from previous to next setting. As such, if your previous setting was 1% and the second is 100% without a lot of time in between, is it somewhere in between?

Note: I updated my instructions on my write up for people who need help. To NooPsychee's defense..they did say it in the manual. They specifically called this out MULTIPLE times as this seems to be a common problem.
The program is only as good as the programmer. So, i have no idea how to code any of this anyhow. I would probably need a dedicated moon light bar. But, usually asleep anyhow. The fish are a bit upset with me while I am toying with light power settings.

Also, I am not sure why the controller needs plugged in and not battery operated. I can only guess it is because, since the lights are run by the controller settings, it needs to be on? And batteries die?

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 55 45.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back