B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a small update.

1. Very disappointed in myself right now. Half of my SPS are going through STN (not sure if I got this one right? SDN? STD? either way..the slow death kind). They are starting from the the base of the coral and moving their way up. I am now down to 5 SPS that are hanging on. Really debating bringing those over to my nano. Probably going to hang up my dancing shoes on SPS for a while. I have not had a lot of luck. My LPS are doing great.
2. The kalk stirrer has being doing well. I used the reef calculator to help me figure out my dosing from two part to Kalk. So far, I have been able to keep my Calcium and Alk within my normal ranges.
3. As i stated earlier, I have been battling dinos for a while because I had a number of times that my nutrients dipped down to zero. I kept trying to dose Potassium Nitrate and Trisodium phosphate through the ATO...but I never was able to get that down. I moved over the the Kamoer with a dosage of both in one container and my levels have been consistent. Although my Dinos appear to be not taking over, I do have a small outbreak of GHA. My tuxedos are working their way through it..but probably going to be a few weeks before this gets under control. I am sure this is a big contributor to my SPS deaths
4. Just put in an order for some Acans. Going to try my hand at these for a while and deal with LPS only. They seem to be more forgiving.
5. Finally, I never realized how under powered my CUC was. I order 50 hermits and 30'ish variety of snails that I put in the tank on Friday. Although I have not seen a direct benefit of the snails yet, the hermits are going to town on the algae outbreak. There is a methodical movement from area to area where they all congregate and strip all life from that area. It is fantastic to watch. At this pace, I am expecting to have my algae issue under control in a few weeks.

I might need to get my tank under control before I do my 'mandatory' two month record my reef. It really isn't fair to NP that my tank went all haywire at almost the same time i received their lights. To be clear, it started going south the week prior and I don't think this has anything to do with my new NPs. I just introduced a lot of changes in a very short period of time. I did myself no favors. With that being said, I will do another recording video later as per rules of the contest.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how are your nitrates?
Nitrates are ~5 PPM and Phosphates ~0.25 PPM as per the API reef master test kit. Been outstandingly consistent since I moved to this approach.

Figured I would do all my readings.

Saifert
  • Alk 9.3
  • Ca 445
  • PH 8.05
API
  • Phosphate 0.25
  • Nitrate 5
Refractomer
  • Salinity 1.024

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say a rolling stone gathers no moss. I guess the same doesn’t hold true for a slithering snail gathers no algae

49A5AD27-C27B-43A0-9BF0-E6918108392D.jpeg

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NP Record your Reef installment 2

Here is my second weekly installment into the NooPsyche Record your Reef contest. As I said above..i am having a bad reef week. Fighting some GHA and residual dinos. Lost a couple of SPS (underneath my over flow). My LPS are looking absolutely amazing with the small exception of my corner duncan. It has been unhappy for a couple of days, hoping it recovers soon. Torches are torchier, frogspaw are fluffier, and my hammers are banging. My BTA is the happiest I have ever seen it. Got a couple additional polyps on the few zoas that I keep. Overall, lights are still exceeding my expectations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, my tank is looking fantastic!!! (Yup. No pics just me jabbering on about it. Kinda like the cooking show host saying how amazing something smells). With all of the sudden changes over the last week, I was really worried. Changing from two part to kalk, adding in the Noopsyche lights, adding a large CUC, the dosing of nitrates and phosphates, switched out a t5 white bulb for actinic, not to mention my ongoing battle with gha, dinos and cyano. Although I still have some GHA, the dinos seem controlled. The cyano seems to be receding. The corals look fluffy as all can be. Wish I had a camera that could do this justice. Any recommendations?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say, my tank is looking fantastic!!! (Yup. No pics just me jabbering on about it. Kinda like the cooking show host saying how amazing something smells). With all of the sudden changes over the last week, I was really worried. Changing from two part to kalk, adding in the Noopsyche lights, adding a large CUC, the dosing of nitrates and phosphates, switched out a t5 white bulb for actinic, not to mention my ongoing battle with gha, dinos and cyano. Although I still have some GHA, the dinos seem controlled. The cyano seems to be receding. The corals look fluffy as all can be. Wish I had a camera that could do this justice. Any recommendations?
All I can rec
Is the orphek lens kit , I use it wit iPhone and it’s nice

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I felt bad talking about the fluffiness of my tank and not showing it..I decided to record a small video. I just wish I had one of those made for radio voices so i felt good about narrating. Gotta love wife in the background talking to herself.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all of the changes I made this week, figured I do one more. Given I lost some SPS and I really hated how far ‘torch point’ reached out, I decided to redo some of my rock work. So I took one of my rocks and made a back cave near my over flow and pushed back torch point about 6 inches. I also put a support rock in the center for my upcoming acan island. Still not overly satisfied as I just hate the middle rock where my anemone is chillin, but not willing to annoy him so that he goes walk about. Anyway, hopefully done with changes..well until my shipments (yes, with an S) comes in next Wednesday.

Attachments

• D56573AC-D40B-40F4-BEE6-A77BBFEA6517.jpeg
    D56573AC-D40B-40F4-BEE6-A77BBFEA6517.jpeg
    135.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the change! You did a great job. Didn't realize you had shipments coming in with corals. Will you be joining us on the live sale coming up @Joe Knows Reefs ?
Thanks. Still not happy with it..but I can say content for now.

Most likely will join, but most likely will not buy. There are a number of reasons..but the main one is that I gotta see how my latest shipment comes in. 4 torches from @UltraRainbowCorals.com and 8 Acans from @AquaSD. Need to see how they fit in. If I see a nice Spawn, I may jump on it...but I need some major inducement for me to justify more corals and more shipping.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I actually have a red/green grafted on the way. Lost my Monticaps during my Dino outbreak
I have plenty... If I didn't live half way across the world I could have given you some red. I don't have grafted though. I bought a frag for 5 bucks, gave half to a friend, put half of the left over in one tank and the other half in the other tank ..

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere between redoing my rocks and today...lost my 6 line. *SOBS* Just like my male clown..poof, he pulled a Keyser Soze. Hopefully he's just hiding and shows up later..if not. BOOOOOO WAAAAA

Kevin Spacey 90S GIF

Anyway, getting my shipment of Torches from @UltraRainbowCorals.com. tomorrow. Pretty excited!! Will be posting tomorrow.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somewhere between redoing my rocks and today...lost my 6 line. *SOBS* Just like my male clown..poof, he pulled a Keyser Soze. Hopefully he's just hiding and shows up later..if not. BOOOOOO WAAAAA

Kevin Spacey 90S GIF

Anyway, getting my shipment of Torches from @UltraRainbowCorals.com. tomorrow. Pretty excited!! Will be posting tomorrow.
Noooo. I hope your wrasse is just being a brat and hiding. My cardinalfish in the 40B and Anthias in the RSR both vanished as well. I can only assume they were a quick meal for the CUC. :(

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Kevin Spacey 90S GIF

I love my six line. I was so happy when he started eating prepared foods and got all fat and happy. I'd probably cry (or buy another one) if he disappeared.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a father again!! My anenome split. I was wondering what was going on with it last night. was acting weird..then poof...I gotz me too dem nems!!

Happy Anniversary GIF by Sesame Street

I guess the pressing question is: Is it because it was happy or sad (stressed?). Given my recent challenges, I am a little worried it's the latter.

Last edited:

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm a father again!! My anenome split. I was wondering what was going on with it last night. was acting weird..then poof...I gotz me too dem nems!!

Happy Anniversary GIF by Sesame Street

I guess the pressing question is: Is it because it was happy or sad (stressed?). Given my recent challenges, I am a little worried it's the latter.
Always something. Congrats on the recent addition to your reef family! Sell one and buy a new six-line?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back