5 gallon nano stock ideas?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats compatibly like with pistol shrimp and nudibranchs? If i could have the goby pistol combo with a nudibranch then im certainly sold.
Don't get your heart set on a Nudibranch. Sadly nearly all species of nudibranch are very specialized eaters and will only feed on one or two species (or even subspecies in some cases) of sponge, algae or coral. They are generally unsuited to aquarium life for that and many other reasons.

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you see something you like you look at it and buy it. That is the reason why I have 4 saltwater tanks in my house. Hey what can I say it gets in your blood. Glad I could help you out my friend. Good luck with the duo.

-Reeferman47

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, there aren't really any nudibranchs you could keep alive in a tank that size. The only nudis that people can reliably keep alive are sea hares (big, require a ton of algae) and berghias (require a steady diet of many, many aiptasia). All the colorful ones eat something incredibly specific and will slowly starve in aquaria. By "incredibly specific" I mean things like specific gorgonians, or exactly one species of sponge. I think ReefCleaners does occasionally sell a tiny species that eats macroalgae? But you'd have to provide it with macroalgae.

You may be able to get some stomatella snails. They aren't really sold anywhere, but turn up sometimes in people's aquariums. They have a small enough shell that they look like sea slugs, and are good algae-eaters.

You should buy what you want (if you can afford it), but only after making sure you can properly house it.

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get your heart set on a Nudibranch. Sadly nearly all species of nudibranch are very specialized eaters and will only feed on one or two species (or even subspecies in some cases) of sponge, algae or coral. They are generally unsuited to aquarium life for that and many other reasons.
This seems strange to me because at my lfs in Which i volunteer at so i know the care for the fish there, we have very successfully kept nudibranchs. Maybe there is something ive been missing all this time about them ? Either way thank you for informing me about this.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What species do they have?

Also, nudibranchs can take a long time to starve, especially if bits of their chosen food are present. Months, if not up to a year. It tends to fool people into thinking they've had some form of success.

Lorenz725

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been running a 5 gallon for a year now. I have yet to find the right fish for it so as of now it just a mixed reef. I have been looking for a cave goby but fish have been kind of hard to find since covid.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Watchman goby could work. I'd pick an antenna or yasha goby, since they're smallest. If you get a pistol shrimp to go with it, get a candycane pistol, they stay smaller and as such need less burrowing space.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back