5 gallon nano stock ideas?

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there everyone!! After a long break from this website i am finally back with the exciting news that im setting up a 2nd salt water aquairum. Its extremely small at just 5 gallons. I have no clue at all what fish i could put in a 5 gal and if the answer is none im just gonna stick to corals. But if anyone has any clue as to a fish or even a interesting invert in a 5 gal id love to hear it.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Mako Shark or Bull Shark might be a good bet. Since there’s no Shark Police yet, I bet you’d be fine for at least some time.

Jokes aside, I’d probably look at some of the smallest gobies like Gobiodon, Eviota, Trimma, the Neon Gobies etc.

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Mako Shark or Bull Shark might be a good bet. Since there’s no Shark Police yet, I bet you’d be fine for at least some time.

Jokes aside, I’d probably look at some of the smallest gobies like Gobiodon, Eviota, Trimma, the Neon Gobies etc.
Ive heard mixed opinions on mixing gobies together so out of curiosity if i were to get 2 different kinda of gobies whatre the odds one rips the other to shreds?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard mixed opinions on mixing gobies together so out of curiosity if i were to get 2 different kinda of gobies whatre the odds one rips the other to shreds?
I have a yasha goby and hector’s goby in my pico.

I also have a neon goby, Randall’s goby, and trimma goby in my 40 breeder with no issues whatsoever.

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm glad you made a decision to buy a 5 gallon. I would recommend a small goby and a pistol shrimp. They hide together and show mutualism. The goby protects the shrimp as the shrimp builds their cave. Those are some cool nano reef fish. Hope you take these into consideration.

-Reeferman47

Ewok1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can have a pair of harlequin shrimp. Make them a cave feed them some stars. I’ve always wanted a harlequin shrimp tank

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm glad you made a decision to buy a 5 gallon. I would recommend a small goby and a pistol shrimp. They hide together and show mutualism. The goby protects the shrimp as the shrimp builds their cave. Those are some cool nano reef fish. Hope you take these into consideration.

-Reeferman47
Whats compatibly like with pistol shrimp and nudibranchs? If i could have the goby pistol combo with a nudibranch then im certainly sold.

snowbanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi MP, I had a small tank once (10 gallons) and I wouldn't reccommend going any smaller than that. You'll have a much higher chance of success if you go with a 20-40 gallon nano. The overall cost will be similar as well since you'll still need a light, ATO, ect. regardless of tank size

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there everyone!! After a long break from this website i am finally back with the exciting news that im setting up a 2nd salt water aquairum. Its extremely small at just 5 gallons. I have no clue at all what fish i could put in a 5 gal and if the answer is none im just gonna stick to corals. But if anyone has any clue as to a fish or even a interesting invert in a 5 gal id love to hear it.
Ive seen a person with a six line wrasse in a 5. Gobies would also work. Sexy shrimp are pretty awesome too

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi MP, I had a small tank once (10 gallons) and I wouldn't reccommend going any smaller than that. You'll have a much higher chance of success if you go with a 20-40 gallon nano. The overall cost will be similar as well since you'll still need a light, ATO, ect. regardless of tank size
5 gal is the most convenient option for me right now as far as spacing and the like goes- and as for keeping parameters in check im not too worried about it because while this my first shot at a tank with corals ive kept another saltwater tank (55 gal FOWLR) and ive kept fresh water tanks of all sizes my entire life, and while that is a slightly different ball game i have experience with managing water conditions in smaller systems

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 or 2 springer dottybacks

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a nice rock flower anemone and a sexy shrimp!
Oh dont you worry the rock flower is going in even if i decide not to add fish. Not sure on the shrimp but we will see

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats compatibly like with pistol shrimp and nudibranchs? If i could have the goby pistol combo with a nudibranch then im certainly sold.
Sometimes nudibranchs are predated by some species of shrimp. You might catch a pistol shrimp picking on it or "tasting" it. Maybe the shrimp will keep to itself, but I wouldn't risk it. Maybe try substituting the pistol shrimp for a skunk shrimp (aka cleaner shrimp). They should still get along just fine. Avoid pistol shrimp and peppermint (aka coral banded) shrimps. They might pester or kill your nudibranchs. My cleaner shrimp and goby have been best friends for 3 years. They have never seemed to bother anything. Hope this helps you make your final decision on what might make your tank awesome. i would recommend the duo myself. I'll be here if you have anymore questions for me.

-Reeferman47

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes nudibranchs are predated by some species of shrimp. You might catch a pistol shrimp picking on it or "tasting" it. Maybe the shrimp will keep to itself, but I wouldn't risk it. Maybe try substituting the pistol shrimp for a skunk shrimp (aka cleaner shrimp). They should still get along just fine. Avoid pistol shrimp and peppermint (aka coral banded) shrimps. They might pester or kill your nudibranchs. My cleaner shrimp and goby have been best friends for 3 years. They have never seemed to bother anything. Hope this helps you make your final decision on what might make your tank awesome. i would recommend the duo myself. I'll be here if you have anymore questions for me.

-Reeferman47
I think im gonna go with the goby pistol combo. The nudibranch can be my excuse to set up the next system haha.

Reeferman47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your thinking my friend, just another excuse to have another tank! I knew somehow that you would pick the pistol/goby combo. I'm glad I could help you out!

-Reeferman47

OP
OP
Mp.

Mp.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your thinking my friend, just another excuse to have another tank! I knew somehow that you would pick the pistol/goby combo. I'm glad I could help you out!

-Reeferman47
I planned to have a goby pistol combo when i set up my 55 gal FOWLR but then that tank quickly became owned by a snowflake eel and a toadfish so i never even bothered with the combo. I didnt even consider the neat combo for the 5 gal untill your comment, so many thanks to you for that.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 98 76.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back