5 Gallon too small for coral quarantine?

Yellow17165161

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I have a spare 5 gallon tank that I want to use to QT some corals, allowing me to finally add some beginner corals to my 30 gallon tank. Would a tank this size be too small? I was hoping to just buy a simple light for the qt and then put some easy corals like xenia or gsp and maybe some other soft corals there for 76 days.

Would this tank size be an issue if I can keep up with the salinity? And what inexpensive light type should I go with for QT, my DT has Fluval marine 3.0 LEDs.

Thanks!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

So I have a spare 5 gallon tank that I want to use to QT some corals, allowing me to finally add some beginner corals to my 30 gallon tank. Would a tank this size be too small? I was hoping to just buy a simple light for the qt and then put some easy corals like xenia or gsp and maybe some other soft corals there for 76 days.

Would this tank size be an issue if I can keep up with the salinity? And what inexpensive light type should I go with for QT, my DT has Fluval marine 3.0 LEDs.

Thanks!
So long as lighting, flow, and params are in check, the size shouldn’t be a problem for a couple small frags.

phl110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat. Have an old 5 gallon that I plan to use for coral quarantine and don’t want to spend a ton on a light. Would be interested to hear what you settle on and how well it worked for you.

Kaze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on QT fish in the future? Maybe get at least a 10g from Petco during the dollar per gallon event. The 10G only 20in long and most LED lights should be able to do it. You can use the 5G as the ATO reservoir for your 30G too.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on QT fish in the future? Maybe get at least a 10g from Petco during the dollar per gallon event. The 10G only 20in long and most LED lights should be able to do it. You can use the 5G as the ATO reservoir for your 30G too.
I use a 10g for QT and I think its a pretty decent size as well.

Kaze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I been using a 20G long with cheap LEDs from Amazon. I had QTed acropora for 6 weeks without any problem. Keeping the parameter stable is the key, 5G is doable but it is much harder to keep it stable.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kaze

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally QT corals for about 4 weeks, remove plug and dip before go in QT, then dip every 5 days. But I received free red bugs with the Acropora, took me few extra weeks for treatment.

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco currently has a 25% off if you pickup in store deal going on. I was thinking about buying the Fluval Spec V to QT a nem and some chaeto, and hopefully some other corals in the future.

Thoughts?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back