5 Month Progress. Share feedback

ganreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

After several years of freshwater, I took the plunge in February for reefing (video attached). Been super happy about the colors and options, but it is expensive ! Feels like I went through quite a bit already - hair algae, diatoms etc. Now even found baby aiptasia which I have been scooping up - so far found 4 in sand and took those out without disturbing them. Shut sealed one on the rocks with epoxy. Not sure where they are coming from - had only three local coral suppliers, their tank was clean and all denied having aiptasia. Does this ever end ?

Went through fish disease, fallowed it, UVed it and it seems to be in control now. Learnt my lesson hard on quarantine process. There are still brown algae stuff in the sand that shows up in 7 days even after thorough gravel vacuuming. Film algae on glass which needs cleaning every 3 days or so. Are these normal ? When does it mature really ?

Coralline algae is showing up in spots on the rocks and powerhead. Can’t wait for it to fully cover the rocks. Finally, didn’t know that there was so much action in reefing. Freshwater was boring :)

Thanks.

Attachments

• B4F805DE-D880-46FA-B791-A01AE09E0E91.MOV
    37.3 MB

Sthomp01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef. Looking good so far.
Marine Biology Ocean GIF

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
G

ganreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Ariz! And sounds like you have started well and getting through the Usual issues - can’t really get aptasia by picking them one at a time - try Peppermint shrimp perhaps

What was your disease problem?

2E020F0A-AD91-4FD4-ADC7-95884F7AC6C6.jpeg

Thanks, so far I have been seeing only one small aiptasia every other week in the sand, so I have picked them up. Not a bad infestation yet. I do have a peppermint shrimp in quarantine tank waiting to get into action, should things get worse. Just not sure how that SOB (aiptasia) got in. Started with dry rock and all clean stuff.

The fish disease was brook I think. Lost two clown fishes - must had came in through the CUC that I didn’t quarantine. The fish were good for the first month and then boom after the introduction of CUC - one day one died and two days later both were gone. Then fallow, dipped the new fishes, quarantined and they have been doing ok. In the mean time, one jumped out through the narrowest gap and can’t even imagine how he got through that.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, so far I have been seeing only one small aiptasia every other week in the sand, so I have picked them up. Not a bad infestation yet. I do have a peppermint shrimp in quarantine tank waiting to get into action, should things get worse. Just not sure how that SOB (aiptasia) got in. Started with dry rock and all clean stuff.

The fish disease was brook I think. Lost two clown fishes - must had came in through the CUC that I didn’t quarantine. The fish were good for the first month and then boom after the introduction of CUC - one day one died and two days later both were gone. Then fallow, dipped the new fishes, quarantined and they have been doing ok. In the mean time, one jumped out through the narrowest gap and can’t even imagine how he got through that.
I have no experience with aptasia but I would try your best to remove before adding more life, while your aquarium is new, it's not the best of starts for an aquarium but it's definitely worth it in the end, just a little perseverance:)
Your aquarium looks amazing :) :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back