5' Planet Aquariums Mixed Reef Build Planning Thread

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I have neglected my tank a bit and it will require an overhaul, so I said to myself... what better time for a tank upgrade? :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I have had my current mostly SPS 100G 4' Planet Aquariums tank for 7 years and it has served me well so I am thinking I will stick with a Planet Aquariums custom tank. (built in Texas.)

This tank will be a 5'x2' footprint. More mixed than just SPS and also more fish than my current tank.

Here are a few questions to start if anyone would like to chime in!... :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

1. My current tank is 20" high. I am thinking about 24" height for this one. Any reason to be concerned about that height? I don't plan to pile a bunch of live rock in there so any extra height will be extra room at the top for fish and growth. So maybe the extra height will be wasted? But I think extra water volume is always good.

2. Current tank is rimless. I am weighing rimless vs a small Eurobrace. I was thinking I would like the reduced water splash of the eurobrace. I am always wiping water off of the outside of the tank after scraping the glass with my magnet scraper. But I don't want to make things too difficult for vacuuming the bottom.

3. My current tank started out with sand and then I ended up removing the sand to better control nutrients and algae film. I think that helped and I don't mind bare bottom, but at the same time I was thinking about starting out with sand again. Any opinions on this one way or the other will be appreciated. This might affect my choice for the tank bottom.

4. Last question: Planet Aquariums now has an external overflow box called "Tideline." Any experience with this? My current overflow is a Synergy so I think that is my other option.

Thanks all! Looking forward to getting this build started!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue with depth is accessibility, mainly the ability to reach the bottom of your tank without tools or diving gear.

I would definitely eurobrace a 5' tank.

Sand vs BB is personal preference. Do you want sand dwelling creatures? Do you want less maintenance?

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for your reply!

I do notice that my current tank, which is 53" tall including stand and tank, is just the height of my underarm. So it is easy for me to reach all the way into the tank. So I guess I won't go much more than that in total.

Regarding the Eurobrace, another thing I don't like about rimless is the fact that I often find snails on the floor around my tank. So Eurobrace should help with that as well.

Regarding the bottom, I watched a good video on the complications that sand brings....I think I will stick with bare bottom. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Thanks again!

StephenC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Patrick,

What video are you referring to? I have been doing a lot of reading/watching on tank setups and as long as the hobbiest keeps up on the 'maintenance' of having a sand bottom, there are more benefits than issues. I know the maintenance is the keyword there, but really any component of the environment can cause complications if not maintained properly. I would like to see something showing/arguing the opposite.

S

Back