50 gallon EXT Lagoon build

Intheflesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I currently have a reefer 350, and downsizing to a IM Nuvo 50 EXT Lagoon. It has been up set up since Oct 2017, but the tank is just a little too big for the living room. We decided that the 50 lagoon would be better dimensions.

Still at the planning stages right now. Most of my equipment from the RSR350 will sold off; I'm gong to reuse what I can but most of the equipment is a bit oversized (both physically and in rated capacity). Simplicity is going to be the name of the game here; I would really like to cut down my equipment such that I only need (1) Neptune EB832.

Lights: XR30 g5 pro ( I have 2 currently, probably going to use 1, or sell both and get a pair of xr15s since they are on sale right now)
Circulation: mp40 (similarly, I have a pair. I could use both and turn them way down, or sell them and get a pair of MP10s).
Return: Jebao dc6500 (already have this. considering selling and getting a cor-15. This would free up an outlet on my apex, as I can use the 24VDC connections)
Skimmer: Currently using a Vertex omega 150, but it wont fit in the sump. I have three replacements at three price points: Deltec 600ix, Aquamaxx FC80 or Skimz Kone SK181 (older model, on sale at BRS)
Currently running a vertex 3L Zeovit reactor, this definitely will not fit in the new sump. Currently looking for a second hand Vertex 1.5L (discontinued model)
Sump: Reefer 270 v3 is what I used in my models. May substitute this for another 18" cube sump.

Space is going to be at a premium under a 30" wide tank. I created some sketchup models just to see how everything will fit. These models are more for "proof of concept". This weekend I will make a more finished model, and try to include plumbing, a "dry" section for electronics, and a finished cabinet. I will be DIY'ing the stand. Pine 3x1's for the main structure, and then skinned with oak. I may build the main structure of the stand to 32" wide to give a couple extra inches of space. that's all for now :)

aquarium(1).png

aquarium(2).png
aquarium(3).png
aquarium(4).png

o

Last edited:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the AIO version of the Lagoon 50 but at some point I want to swap it out for the EXT version so I can use the same stand and add a sump. Following along for progress and ideas.

OP
OP
I

Intheflesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Tank was delivered last week, but was damaged in transport. Bummer. Getting a new one shipped out this week. But this one they are sending me has the overflow and return on opposite sides when compared to standard.

Stand design has changed a bit. Going with a gusseted steel frame, and some "beauty boards" that will be held on with french cleats and magnets. Ordered my skimmer, new zeo reactor, and sump. Stand should be done in about 2 weeks,

Equipment list has changed a bit, and everything has been ordered:
Lights: XR30 g5 pro ( I have 2 currently, probably going to use 1, or sell both and get a pair of xr15s since they are on sale right now)
Circulation: mp40 (similarly, I have a pair. I could use both and turn them way down, or sell them and get a pair of MP10s).
Return: Jebao dc6500 (already have)- might not fit in new sump, might need to downsize to 4500
Skimmer: Really wanted the Skimz Kone SK181 for the price (there was only 1 left on BRS), but missed out on it. Ended up going with Aquamaxx FC120.
Zeovit reactor - Aquamaxx 1L reactor
Sump: 16" cube from Advanced Acrylics, along with a matching narrow ATO.

I think I am going to stick to my old apex "classic" for now as I am a bit over budget.

Here a few more renderings. Just realized my floor pan is missing some cutouts, and plumbing is far from complete. But it is more for proof of concept and to verify that components will fit.

steel stand(6).png

steel stand(5).png

steel stand(4).png

steel stand (4).png

OP
OP
I

Intheflesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update (Sorry, still no build pics):

- skimmer and Zeo reactor delivered
- New tank finally shipped on 9/23
- ended up sizing up my sump to the 18" square model
- material for stand has been ordered

Marine depot sent me a "thank you" by means of 15% off coupon. I still need to order a few more items, and this incentive might be the push to get a new "2016" model Apex lol

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you going the zeovit method? That is a very hands on method but I read you stated "Simplicity is going to be the name of the game here". Are you only using the zeolites or are you going to be dosing also?

OP
OP
I

Intheflesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you going the zeovit method? That is a very hands on method but I read you stated "Simplicity is going to be the name of the game here". Are you only using the zeolites or are you going to be dosing also?

Zeovit isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I am running it currently in my RSR350, and ran it on a previous 80 gallon shallow. Requires less than 2 minutes of hands on per day. And maybe 10 minutes in weekly maintenance.

My dog wakes me up at 5:30a on the dot every morning to feed her. While she's eating, I do my morning zeo routine: shake stones 12 times, .3ml Zeo start (daily), 3 drops Sponge power (daily), 3 drops zeo bac, zeofood, lougols solution (2-3 times weekly).
In the evening when I get home from work or gym: shake stones 12 times, .3ml of Zeo start. Knead media bag (running carbon inactively in a media bag, rather than a reactor).

Once/week: 5-10% water change. This takes less than 1 "Feed Cycle" on my apex. Especially on the new 50 gallon, that will only be a single 5 gallon bucket. I mix my salt water in 30 gallon batches and store it in 5 gallon totes and HD buckets.

By "simplicity" I guess I mean i'm trying to minimize the equipment I am using down to the bare essentials.

Last edited:

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Sounds like a good routine. I like zeo also, just wasn't sure if you were already into it. Definitely not simple or less maintenance although not hard or time consuming. Just wanted to make sure you were going in the right direction of what you were wanting. I see you are.

OP
OP
I

Intheflesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets talk about stocking for a second. I have the finished product envisioned in my head, but I know its going to be a long road to get there. Mixed reef - 80% SPS dominant with a handful of Zoas, a few acan colonies., and maybe a scoly or two.

I recently received a Battlebox for my 350. These will all be transferred over. The Efflo didn't make it, but everythign else is looking great.

BC Efflo 2.0 - didn't make it
"Sunrise" Monti
BC "Old Blue" Stag
Toxic anacropora
ORA Birds of Paradise
BC June Ruby
Orange tipped Albrolhosensis
Bubble Gum Digi
Soft Pink Mille
R.O.A.B. Digi
Rainbow stylo

I think I have room for about 10-12more frags. I want a couple of "designer" pieces (WR, WD, Bill Murray, etc), a couple "classics" (palmers blue mille, pink lemonade, pearl berry, strawberry shortcake, Purple Monster, Romels watermellon, Shades of fall, garf bonsai, red planet, etc) Having a really hard time trying to narrow down the list.

Not sure what happened to my zoanthids, but they closed up about a year ago, and somehow in the last week decided they wanted to come out an play. Not really well versed in zoas. What are some must haves? Currently have a frag of people eaters, bam-bams, tangerines, and some random palys. What do you guys recommend?

OP
OP
I

Intheflesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank arrived yesterday, luckily in one piece.
I am a little disappointed at the transport company. IM was smart, and placed and shrink wrapped an empty box on top of the tank, and marked it "DO NOT STACK". The box was crushed, so obviously something was stacked on top of the tank during the shipping process.

IMG_E1061.JPG

Both tank appear to be built well. The seems are better on the replacement tank. But the caulking and film on the new tank are extremely sloppy.

Old Tank:
IMG_E1070.JPG

IMG_E1071.JPG

(here you can see part of the damage to the first tank)

IMG_E1076.JPG

OP
OP
I

Intheflesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update. Tank is in the garage getting water tested. Sump, and ATO reservoir arrived last night. Need to water test the sump. I have not fully unwrapped it, but it appears to be great quality, and was packed really well. Thanks to Advanced Acrylics. Its and 18" cube with 7" sock holder. In retrospect, I wish i went with dual 4" sock holders.

IMG_1086.JPG

IMG_1094 copy.jpg

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Curious as to why the overflow is on the other side with the replacement tank?

OP
OP
I

Intheflesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated this thread in a while I just realized. I work for a company that does fab work, so I had them build the stand for me. Came out pretty good.

265ACC69-911F-4C4C-BA13-6D64EC78F741.jpeg

Here it is with panels in place:

99EC57EB-8AB5-42F1-9E9E-CB69980062EA.jpeg

And preview of the plumbing:

CC61C176-2288-4C3B-8F25-96876246B563.jpeg

We're in the process of moving right now, so this project took a bit of a back seat. I hope to have it up and running by next weekend.

So I will be re-using a lot of the equipment from my reefer 350. I have at my disposal (2) MP40QDs, and (2) Radion XR30 Pro gen 4. Do I really need 2 radions and 2 mp40s for this? This is going to be an SPS dominant grow out tank for the most part, so I'm going to want some flow and light. But the position of the return and yuge overflow box is going to make it hard to position all of the equipment I think.

OP
OP
I

Intheflesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah . Sump is from Advanced Acrylics. Can't remember if I ordered the 16" or 18" cube model. Skimmer is an FC80 from aquamax, and zeovit reactor is also Aquamax. Return pump will be a jebao dct 4000. That should be arriving today.

IMG_1094 copy.jpg

OP
OP
I

Intheflesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a very busy weekend. Saturday we moved 90% of the stuff at our old house. Sunday I moved the contents of my Reefer 350 to the new house to the 50.

Start of the break down:

4374A0F8-8691-4E61-9EF8-320B4BC88DC3.jpeg

6E8065BA-5E9E-431A-80D6-65B8F8779F12.jpeg

58FB120E-284E-44E3-92A5-9D3DF8400C1D.jpeg

A1CEC048-7DBD-437C-930F-D0AA5D653E78.jpeg

Car all loaded up for the journey:
BD9D8921-0BBF-4856-8341-B5EEA50E3683.jpeg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back