50 Gallon Lagoon Tank

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I've been researching quite a bit and am getting ready to start my own 50g reef tank. I'm going to use the Innovative Marine Lagoon 50. I have a parts list set up and I'd really appreciate some thoughts around it. It's a little over my budget, so if I can save in a few areas that would be great (without compromising). I will be making the stand myself. Tank will have few fish but a good amount of soft corals and LPS. No SPS for now. Long term goal is to have a well enough established tank to have a huge anemone and a breeding pair of clownfish :)

Here's the list:
Tank: IM Lagoon 50 - $600
Lights: Viparspectra 165w - $130 (I will make a stand for it and yes I know it's black box but they have great reviews -- better than a lot of "official" aquarium brands)
Heaters: 2x 100 watt Jager TruTemp - $66 (I'd like to have 2 for redundancy -- it gets cold in CO)
Skimmer: Tunze Comline 9004 - $160
Return pump(s): Included in tank (can't tell if 1 or 2) - $0
Powerheads: 2x Koralia Evolution 600GPH - $80
ATO: Tunze Osmolator - $200 (I'll use a bucket with lid for now)
RODI: BRS 75GPH value unit - $140
Filter Media Basket - $40
Monitoring / temp controller: Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite - $130
Various test kits: $50
Salt: (undecided): $50
Live Rock: LFS sustainable - $300
Sand: CaribSea (undecided) 60LB - $50
Totals around $1900-$2000... I'd prefer closer to $1500 :/

Anything I'm missing?

If the tank only comes with 1 return pump should I purchase another? Or is there a skimmer option that has a return fitting? Also, should I get a second media basket? The tank has an overflow on either side. I'm not really sure what to stick back there; there's not a lot of info on the shape of the sump in the back.

Thanks in advance :)

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just using the reefkeeper lite for temp controller. You can shave off that and get a temp monitor such as Ink Bird Temperature Controller. Also, Smart ATO is a reliable auto top-off with a smaller price rate. In addition, look into jebao wavemaker for some control on your wavemaker which you will love. For the rocks, you can cut the price more than half if you go dry rock route.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the dry rock affect cycling? Can you get rock with added bacteria colonies to quicken the cycle time? My LFS sells rock that has "cycled" (you still need to cycle the tank but it's already been cleaned and soaked I think)

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the dry rock affect cycling? Can you get rock with added bacteria colonies to quicken the cycle time? My LFS sells rock that has "cycled" (you still need to cycle the tank but it's already been cleaned and soaked I think)
Getting all dry rock and one piece of live rock will help, but still expect 4-6 week cycle time. Even with all live rock you should wait 4 weeks while adding a ammonia source like raw shrimp.
Also 60lbs of sand seems like allot to me unless your going for a deep sand bed. You could also go bare bottom unless you want critters that like sand.

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump it comes with is 476gph. So that will be fine. The second half of your sump should be a refugium of sorts. As Kershaw suggested, do some chaeto, and throw in some rubble.

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and if you look for local clubs. Allot of time people will give live rock or dry rock away. I know I have given lots away and I always see it on facebook from the loca club

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I'll set up the second side as a refugium. So no need for a second return pump since the main pump's flow is adequate. Awesome! I'm ditching the monitor for a basic temp controller as well. If I really want one I can add it later. I'm undecided on the sand bed. It would be cool to have critters that burrow in the sand but I've also heard it can be a pain. I definitely know I want some sand sifting stars in there when the tank is safe for them. Maybe I can start out with a 1-2" covering instead to avoid any complications.

I'll see if there are any good clubs in Denver -- I'd much rather get the rock for free. It's shockingly expensive.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a budget build at the moment. 75 gallon with 29 gallon sump. I've gotten a lot of stuff used, but where I am at... It's hard to do. In my case, I had to break down and order a few things online. I got salt from Amazon. 200 gallons, $50. I got dry live rock there also, 40lb base, and 40lbs of regular, $103. And I got my sand from BRS. A 40lb of pink Fiji, and 40lbs of the special grade, $90. (Just in case you can't get it used)

That'll give me a 2" bed.

And Colorado has tons of hobbyists; you should be able to find a lot of stuff used, at a good price (better than LFS anyway)

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! There are a few things I want new -- the mechanical parts and the tank. I'm just scared of buying a used tank. I don't mind paying extra for a new one with a warranty. Otherwise I'm all for used.

So is there anything I'm potentially missing? I feel like I have a good grasp on what I need to start but I'm a n00b so...

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're doing good... You'll be in the pet store everyday for the first two months probably. lol My build is a garage build, and not a display tank, but for sales of frags later on down the road. So you should do what you're doing for an in-home DT. You'll find you need this, that, and the other- before long. Thermometers, hydrometers... are just the tip of the iceberg. I never know what I'll need a lot of the time, until that moment arises. Just read, read, read... Watch YouTube videos like BRS, The Saltwater Tank guy, etc, as much as possible. Be patient and don't constantly tweak things or make huge sudden changes. You'll be fine; it's a lot better/easier these days to keep a reef than when I started at 15 back in 93'.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was born in '93! You've been doing this for as long as I've been alive!! lol.

Backstory... I grew up in Laguna Beach. Surfed almost every day. I LOVE the ocean. My parents knew it, so they offered to pay for a tank if I did all the research and hard work. They bought a 120g Tenecor tank with a built in sump. I had it running amazingly... had an anemone around 1ft diameter with a pair of clownfish, MASSIVE frog spawn heads (like the size of your arm), etc. Then they decided to follow me out to CO and the tank went to a good friend. I sure wish they could have brought it :( Must've been thousands of dollars of corals in there; I can't remember losing any since we introduced them. The tank was around 8-9 years old when they offloaded it. I moved out to CO about halfway through that period for college and ended up staying out here. Anyways, it's been so long since I've worked on an aquarium I've forgotten everything which is why I'm posting as a noob haha. Occasionally stuff comes back to me, especially fish and coral names, but that's about it unfortunately.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like a 2” sand bed. I like wrasses that bury them selfs. That tank might be a bit small for sand sifting stars.
I had a 125 gal tank with sand from the ocean( not recommended. ) how ever I was able to keep a sand sifting star for 3 years before it starved to death. I think the only reason it lived so long was because that sand was full of life. I’m not saying it can’t be done. But if it dies in sand and you don’t notice it. You could have a problem in a tank that size. Do some more reading on star fish in general.

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it completely... I've had to move and give away several setups over the years... But you're ahead of the game already and not quite a noob. I still have to go and look and get as many opinions as I can on things... Every system is different as well... They're like fingerprints... So asking, learning, and sharing you're experience is what it's all about. I still feel like a noob to this day, because there is always something new to learn it seems... I just recently felt confident enough to join this forum and share my experiences, and people are like "What? 25 years reefing is a lot...." lol

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I've been researching quite a bit and am getting ready to start my own 50g reef tank. I'm going to use the Innovative Marine Lagoon 50. I have a parts list set up and I'd really appreciate some thoughts around it. It's a little over my budget, so if I can save in a few areas that would be great (without compromising). I will be making the stand myself. Tank will have few fish but a good amount of soft corals and LPS. No SPS for now. Long term goal is to have a well enough established tank to have a huge anemone and a breeding pair of clownfish :)

Here's the list:
Tank: IM Lagoon 50 - $600
Lights: Viparspectra 165w - $130 (I will make a stand for it and yes I know it's black box but they have great reviews -- better than a lot of "official" aquarium brands)
Heaters: 2x 100 watt Jager TruTemp - $66 (I'd like to have 2 for redundancy -- it gets cold in CO)
Skimmer: Tunze Comline 9004 - $160
Return pump(s): Included in tank (can't tell if 1 or 2) - $0
Powerheads: 2x Koralia Evolution 600GPH - $80
ATO: Tunze Osmolator - $200 (I'll use a bucket with lid for now)
RODI: BRS 75GPH value unit - $140
Filter Media Basket - $40
Monitoring / temp controller: Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite - $130
Various test kits: $50
Salt: (undecided): $50
Live Rock: LFS sustainable - $300
Sand: CaribSea (undecided) 60LB - $50
Totals around $1900-$2000... I'd prefer closer to $1500 :/

Anything I'm missing?

If the tank only comes with 1 return pump should I purchase another? Or is there a skimmer option that has a return fitting? Also, should I get a second media basket? The tank has an overflow on either side. I'm not really sure what to stick back there; there's not a lot of info on the shape of the sump in the back.

Thanks in advance :)

I will say this about the black boxes, most of the reviews do not include longevity studies and that in addition to the lack of control are the two biggest drawbacks to them. There are people who have great long term success with them and others who have nothing but long term nightmares with warranty and quality control issues. The monitoring/temp controller seems like a big waste to me but that's just me.

philg3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you going to mount the tank on? The Innovative Marine stands are an extra $500-600, but if you're handy it's not too hard to build a stand yourself. Only other thing I see missing is a quality Refractometer.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be making a nice simple stand myself. Probably cost 50-100 .

Do you have any recommendations for a refractometer?

Jesterrace -- I understand where you're coming from. I still want to give it a shot .This particular model seems to have a fair amount if adjustment .I just have a hard time justifying 400+ on an LED light board .

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be making a nice simple stand myself. Probably cost 50-100 .

Do you have any recommendations for a refractometer?

Jesterrace -- I understand where you're coming from. I still want to give it a shot .This particular model seems to have a fair amount if adjustment .I just have a hard time justifying 400+ on an LED light board .

You might think so until you can see what the higher end LEDs are capable of. I am in the process of upgrading from a cheap Mars Aqua Light bar to a pair of AI Hydra 26 lights and I can tell you already that the Mars Aqua has nothing on the Hydra 26 lights. I have had good luck with my Frogspawn and Hammer Coral under cheap lights but all my zoanthids all died and a soft leather mushroom has been fighting for it's life ever since it entered my tank. I will say that as long as you get a decent black box that it should probably do fine for most corals.

OP
OP
i_declare_bankruptcy

i_declare_bankruptcy

out of control
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still researching lights. The Viparsepctras are still a viable option but I'm trying to figure out what id need if I went kessil .I looked at the A360W (wide) and it covers a surface of 24" (what? I'm assuming diameter?) Well, the tank is 24x30 so the hypotenuse of that right triangle is going to be a good bit larger than 24" . So would I need two? If so that's way out of the budget unfortunately.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back