50 gallon low boy build overflow help

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I just picked up a 50 gallon lowboy tank and I am planning on drilling it and putting one of these Fiji cube overflow boxes 600 gallon per hour. The tank will be 50 gallons and I’m planning on getting a 40 gallon sump if that falls through odds are, I will be going with a 20 gallon sump. I just wanna make sure that the box will be sufficient enough and I’m also wondering since the box comes with a diamond wholesale drillbit I’m wondering if I can use that same drillbit in the same size for my return hole Another question I have would a 2000 gallon per hour. Return pump be fine for the system. Please give me your feedback if you can before I pull any triggers.

IMG_6879.png

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, I just picked up a 50 gallon lowboy tank and I am planning on drilling it and putting one of these Fiji cube overflow boxes 600 gallon per hour. The tank will be 50 gallons and I’m planning on getting a 40 gallon sump if that falls through odds are, I will be going with a 20 gallon sump. I just wanna make sure that the box will be sufficient enough and I’m also wondering since the box comes with a diamond wholesale drillbit I’m wondering if I can use that same drillbit in the same size for my return hole Another question I have would a 2000 gallon per hour. Return pump be fine for the system. Please give me your feedback if you can before I pull any triggers.

IMG_6879.png
Hello! I did almost the same exact build, check out my build thread. I used an eshopps medium overflow. You definitely want the return hole drilled smaller than the drain hole, I did both the same size and have to DIY a gasket and use silicone to seal it.

eshopps overflow: https://amzn.to/3yy5wE8

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I did almost the same exact build, check out my build thread. I used an eshopps medium overflow. You definitely want the return hole drilled smaller than the drain hole, I did both the same size and have to DIY a gasket and use silicone to seal it.

eshopps overflow: https://amzn.to/3yy5wE8
I’m sorry I don’t quite understand. Is your overflow hole the same size as your return hole or are you saying that I need to use a smaller return hole?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry I don’t quite understand. Is your overflow hole the same size as your return hole or are you saying that I need to use a smaller return hole?
I used the same size hole for both - I recommend you do NOT do that. For the return, use the smallest size hole that will accommodate the return bulkhead.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same size hole for both - I recommend you do NOT do that. For the return, use the smallest size hole that will accommodate the return bulkhead.
Great thanks what size return pump do you run ?

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the same size hole for both - I recommend you do NOT do that. For the return, use the smallest size hole that will accommodate the return
I used the same size hole for both - I recommend you do NOT do that. For the return, use the smallest size hole that will accommodate the return bulkh

I use the reefbreeders nautilus dc900 (900gph), highly recommend. I only run it at about 50%, but it’s nice that it’s fully controllable for adjustments.

Okay great that’s good to hear.
Do you have a recommendation for a return bulkhead size I was to do a loc line adapter and loc line like I’ve seen not sure if that matters… sorry this is my first sump I’ll be building

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2000 GPH return pump is way too big. Your overflow is 600 GPH. You can only return as much water as the overflow can handle…
Okay i will look for a smaller one whichever one i get I will get a dc that way I can control it. There is just a nice 2000gph I can get from my buddy for a good price that’s why I wanted to ask if it was enough not enough or too much

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a recommendation for a return bulkhead size I was to do a loc line adapter and loc line like I’ve seen not sure if that matters… sorry this is my first sump I’ll be building
Check out my tank thread under my name, I don’t remember off the top off my head but everything is detailed there

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a bulkhead to fit your return line pipe diameter. So the question you should be asking is ‘what size should my return pipe be?’

The answer to that depends on the pump you decide on and the desired flow rate and head pressure. If your sump will be right under the tank and you only need up to 600 GPH, probably 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch PVC. I would recommend 3/4 inch from the pump and you could split and reduce it into two 1/2 inch outlets into the tank to help disperse the flow.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a bulkhead to fit your return line pipe diameter. So the question you should be asking is ‘what size should my return pipe be?’

The answer to that depends on the pump you decide on and the desired flow rate and head pressure. If your sump will be right under the tank and you only need up to 600 GPH, probably 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch PVC. I would recommend 3/4 inch from the pump and you could split and reduce it into two 1/2 inch outlets into the tank to help disperse the flow.
One addition I would make here is that your return pump will run most efficiently if the return line is the same size as the outlet of the pump. You can dial down the output as needed on the DC controller, I wouldn’t immediately restrict the pump by using pipe smaller than the output. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Okay this sounds right sorry a lot of this is confusing to me as I have never even hardly thought about a sump and plumbing I do want 2 nozzles of loc line so splitting it sounds good

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with TX_REEF regarding the pump matching the return pipe diameter. Also wanted to add that you don’t necessarily need to drill a hole for the return. You can come up the back and over the edge if you want. A lot of folks do this and you can aim the flow over the water surface to create better gas exchange. Here is mine which is set up that way.
IMG_3926.jpeg

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One addition I would make here is that your return pump will run most efficiently if the return line is the same size as the outlet of the pump. You can dial down the output as needed on the DC controller, I wouldn’t immediately restrict the pump by using pipe smaller than the output. Just my 2 cents.
Okay so you’re just saying if your return pump outlet is 3/4 it’s better to use 3/4 return line back into the tank ? Or whatever the return pump is use that size line

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for some more visual guidance, here is a leak test of my DIY system before I moved it in the house. I also wanted a split return, I did it with locline inside the tank.

Yes that’s cool I believe you’re build or the loc line especially is what I seen earlier that I really liked

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s cool I believe you’re build or the loc line especially is what I seen earlier that I really liked
It is a cleaner look for sure. Just make sure the glass isn’t tempered before you start drilling. Some tanks will use tempered glass on a single panel, usually front or back. Not super common, but better safe than sorry.

Also make sure your sump can handle the water volume it will get when/if the return pump shuts off. It will drain back down to the bottom of your hole unless you use a check valve, which carries its own risks…

OP
OP
L

Lgara1303

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a cleaner look for sure. Just make sure the glass isn’t tempered before you start drilling. Some tanks will use tempered glass on a single panel, usually front or back. Not super common, but better safe than sorry.

Also make sure your sump can handle the water volume it will get when/if the return pump shuts off. It will drain back down to the bottom of your hole unless you use a check valve, which carries its own risks…
Is this common or a thing with the zoo med low boy ?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 101 43.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 108 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 22 9.5%
Back