5000 Snails In A 180

Reef2Land

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!!! I would be worried about these things if they actually appeared to be doing anything harmful. Look like limpets. They have a ridiculous grip and do nothing but cover the rock and glass every night. It's been getting so bad I think they're crawling down the overflows. Is there any one that knows how to control these things? They're probably the best nuissance algae cleaner I've ever seen and they're RIDICULOUS fast too. I have never seen anything breed as quick as they do. They are strictly nocturnal cleaners. WHAT am I supposed to do with them?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW!!!! I would be worried about these things if they actually appeared to be doing anything harmful. Look like limpets. They have a ridiculous grip and do nothing but cover the rock and glass every night. It's been getting so bad I think they're crawling down the overflows. Is there any one that knows how to control these things? They're probably the best nuissance algae cleaner I've ever seen and they're RIDICULOUS fast too. I have never seen anything breed as quick as they do. They are strictly nocturnal cleaners. WHAT am I supposed to do with them?
Do you have a pic? Are they tiny? Sounds like collonista snails. Even spirorbid worms comes to mind.

OP
OP
Reef2Land

Reef2Land

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're pretty big even by the standards of a snail. These two are on the front of the glass.They're about the size of a quarter. They scatter when the light comes on. All they do is plow through algae and move extremely quick....
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail.jpg

Corndiggly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like stomatella snails?
Maybe when they run out of food they will die off naturally or at least reduce in numbers.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like stomatella snails?
Maybe when they run out of food they will die off naturally or at least reduce in numbers.
Yep. They are Stomatellas. Great snails to have and it’s nice that they’re mostly nocturnal. I wouldn’t worry about them much. All snails find their way down overflows, these actually have the best chance to make it due to such a slim shell.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes stomatella. But there’s no way you have 5000 of them. I guess that’s the watermelon thing and the other snails are something else? Stomatellas get big really fast and do a number on algae.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few (3-4) and I am hoping they breed!

You could probably sell them for a decent amount as these are highly desired.

But yes, as said above, their population will self control based on available food.

Back