OP
OP
H

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully on the path to recovery... The corals that survived are looking polypy as ever.

Screenshot_20200825-143537~2.jpg

OP
OP
H

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it turns out it seems like my problems keep compounding themselves. The return pumps I chose for the system were two Ecotech Vectra L2's running out of the sump externally each fed by their own 2" bulkhead. It was working great, and I loved how silent they were and then two weeks ago I came home to the water level down an inch and the skimmer overflowing. One of the Vectra's straight up died after barely a year of use. After a short back and forth with ecotech, and a weekend, I got the pump replaced after about 2 weeks. Glad I kept my reeflo dart as a back up. I didn't want to really deal with the stress of this happening again so I got a Reeflo Hammerhead Gold from BRS last week and plumbed it all up Saturday morning. It's certainly not DC silent, but I can't hear it over all of the fans in the fish closet and my reeflo dart has been solid with minor maintenance for 5 years so hopefully this change gives me some peace of mind. It pumps quite a bit more than the two L2's which supposedly had a combined flow of 6200gph. There must be A LOT more head loss on those pumps because I had to dial back the 6000gph Hammerhead about 25% to match the same sump level as the Vortech L2's.

IMG_20191121_175517.jpg

Externally plumbed L2's
IMG_20200912_095102.jpg

Monster hammerhead doing its thing.

IMG_20200912_115310.jpg

There's always at least one leak...luckily just from the unused bulkhead I plugged. Just needed a couple turns of the plug with some channel locks to get it sorted.

I should probably finish the main story one of these days?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it turns out it seems like my problems keep compounding themselves. The return pumps I chose for the system were two Ecotech Vectra L2's running out of the sump externally each fed by their own 2" bulkhead. It was working great, and I loved how silent they were and then two weeks ago I came home to the water level down an inch and the skimmer overflowing. One of the Vectra's straight up died after barely a year of use. After a short back and forth with ecotech, and a weekend, I got the pump replaced after about 2 weeks. Glad I kept my reeflo dart as a back up. I didn't want to really deal with the stress of this happening again so I got a Reeflo Hammerhead Gold from BRS last week and plumbed it all up Saturday morning. It's certainly not DC silent, but I can't hear it over all of the fans in the fish closet and my reeflo dart has been solid with minor maintenance for 5 years so hopefully this change gives me some peace of mind. It pumps quite a bit more than the two L2's which supposedly had a combined flow of 6200gph. There must be A LOT more head loss on those pumps because I had to dial back the 6000gph Hammerhead about 25% to match the same sump level as the Vortech L2's.

IMG_20191121_175517.jpg

Externally plumbed L2's
IMG_20200912_095102.jpg

Monster hammerhead doing its thing.

IMG_20200912_115310.jpg

There's always at least one leak...luckily just from the unused bulkhead I plugged. Just needed a couple turns of the plug with some channel locks to get it sorted.

I should probably finish the main story one of these days?

There is always a leak!! You got that right

Sucks about the ecotech pumps. I feel ya about failing equipment. I had a brand new ato fail and flood an all in one tank in my office. It was replaced quickly, but just sits on the shelf now

jacobreynolds6883

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazed by your dedication, I had a small crash and lost a couple fish and frags and about gave up the hobby! Give us an update...

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved this write up, expertly written. Would love to see a build thread for the new tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back