500g Reef Tank Build Saga: A Guide on What Not to Do

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're our resident covid expert, what's your opinion? Think its gonna have a 2nd bad wave in fall? Seems like our 1st wave may not be over by then. Im in sc, our cases are going through the roof. From what I've read on viruses, as it gets older and mutates it gets weaker. Suppose concept is that the deadlier strain kills its host before it can be spread.

OP
OP
H

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, certainly the fall is going to be terrible. The summer is terrible and that's without the burden of cold and flu! So yeah, it's going to be a rough couple of months coming up and if we're not careful it's going to be way worse than what we saw this spring. Just listen to any expert in epidemiology, Fauci, Osterholm, et al.

All viruses mutate but they're also selected by evolution, there's little evidence it's going to burn itself out that way. I'm actually heading a study to sequence the genomes of all the positive samples we can get our hands on, but that's mainly for tracking the spread.

105984316_10108178168007699_802058741414798918_n.jpg

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your thoughts on the reporting of COVID cases? do you think the cases are being reported the same way across the US? I ask this because there has been a lot of talk about improper reporting in my area, cases are going up here but there is evidence that non COVID deaths are being counted/ reported as COVID as well as other admissions in to hospitals (not necessarily testing results)....

just curious..

thanks,

Barnabie

OP
OP
H

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no evidence non-COVID deaths are being counted as COVID deaths. That's a conservative bug bear and not to get political, but I think people need to work very hard to get their information from clean, evidence based sources. Trust the scientists, everyone is welcome to hate the media, but the epidemiologists, virologists, and people who have spent their lives researching and studying these diseases ALL KNOW this is a serious problem, and that's evidenced by both the case rate and the climbing death rate.

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've neglected this thread but I have a good excuse. When the red line starts going back down I think I might have a free minute for another update. Until then, stay safe, wear your mask.

Screenshot_20200726-094827~2.jpg
Valid excuse, keep up the hard work!

I have an opinion on the rising cases, is it because we are testing so many more now than when this all started so we are identifying more positives? My wife and I think our whole family had it in March, wasn't really any testing around so we could've been 4 positives back then. I'm sure there are a lot in my situation that weren't counted. My wife plans to give blood, the red cross says they're testing for antibodies.

OP
OP
H

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the case count went up much faster than the rate of testing. They are not correlated at all. The reason for the double hump in cases is because states and people ignored the science and didn't take reasonable precautions to limit or prevent transmission.

You certainly could have had it in March, but please remember, 90% of the tests that are processed are negative, meaning people have symptoms and are infected with something other than COVID.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I thought we had it in feb or March. Both Got the antibody tests (two different methods). Nope! We hadn’t had it.

Lots of us are sticking to wishful thinking. But you almost certainly haven’t had it. Wear a mask. Distance. Save the world.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two out of my regular golf foursome have had it. Same middle age,otherwise healthy, male demographic. One is fine 2 weeks later. The other (Rob) cannot finish a round of golf 15 weeks later. We were nearly even last year in strokes. Now he cannot keep his own score nor walk the course. You just don't know how it will affect you.

I will say it for him: "Wear a mask." While I hate these things in Summer, it is really a pretty innocuous solution relative to the lockdown we had here before.

OK. Back to our regularly scheduled programming: how does this work out @h2so4hurts ? This was an entertainingly written disaster story. You had me at the quote "This is called foreshadowing".

Fire when ready.

Last edited:

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the case count went up much faster than the rate of testing. They are not correlated at all. The reason for the double hump in cases is because states and people ignored the science and didn't take reasonable precautions to limit or prevent transmission.

You certainly could have had it in March, but please remember, 90% of the tests that are processed are negative, meaning people have symptoms and are infected with something other than COVID.
We thought that we had a flu because at the time they kept talking about breathijg

John08007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife thought she was having a heart attack, but she didn't have any symptoms except chest pain, then at night had a really bad migrain to point that she was looking up aneurysm symptoms. I think she was also really tired and weak to point that stayed in bed for 1-2 days. Then 2-3 days later I just didn't feel right for 1-2 days, almost like I was walking around in a fog. We thought it was the flu because they kept saying that breathing problems were the key symptom of covid.

I remember a few months back that a sailer caught covid for a 2nd time, so wonder if the antibodies stick around long.

My wife and I thought we had it in feb or March. Both Got the antibody tests (two different methods). Nope! We hadn’t had it.

Lots of us are sticking to wishful thinking. But you almost certainly haven’t had it. Wear a mask. Distance. Save the world.

Txdragonslayer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, if I learned one thing it is.... put off that plywood build I have in my mind until I'm absolutely certain I can do it.

@h2so4hurts , it hurts to look at the pictures, but I think this is one of the things that people don't share enough, where they failed. I have my share of failures in this hobby, and I've probably learned more from them than the successes.

If it was me I would have sold the old tank already and had nothing to put the stock back into when the tank started leaking.
i appreciate you sharing this.

OP
OP
H

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mini terrible update. Since COVID screwed up supply chains I ended up buying non-color changing DI resin. I've been so busy at work I hadn't been checking the TDS. Just slipped my mind. I ended up adding 60 gallons of my 3 ppm well water to my tank from my top off jug over the course of a week, 1.5ppm of which is copper and I kicked off a nice tank crash. Currently lost about 75% of my large colonies and hoping parts of them hang on. Of course I did a big WC and threw in 1000mL of cuprisorb but the the majority of the damage has been done. This hobby can be a real bummer sometimes.
IMG_20200822_130819.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear of this tough break.

Three PPM of copper is shocking to me. Is that just from source water you think or does plumbing add that kind of concentration?

Do you hear that thump-thump-thump sound right now? That is me leaping down the basement stairs 3 at a time to swap out my 1 TDS DI resin.

Again, really sorry for this tough setback.

OP
OP
H

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 1.46ppm copper, 3.34ppm Silica according to the ICP test of my RO water. House is all PEX, there's no copper anywhere. But, it's well water so there's lots of fun things in there. TDS meter read 3ppm, but I think I'd trust the ICP of the RO over the BRS meter.

We had been drinking the RO water, but after the ICP I added a two stage DI system to the line for the drinking water pressure tank. EPA safety cutoff for copper is 1.5ppm.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 8.0%
Back