5017 didn’t activate to turn on pump?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roger,
I was told to post here that you might give insight to possible trouble shooting. I bought a new 5017. Installed it Tuesday. Seemed to work fine Wed and sometime Wed night till Thurs morning, the unit never activated to turn the pump on. The water level was below the optical eye. Couldn’t identify the cause but it has been working for about the past 8 hours. If this unit fails to activate again, what should I look at?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light was on? Red too low means the pump timed out, this can be from needing more than a couple gallons, it can also be the pump had air trapped in it and could not prime or the pump maybe bad. Green level light means something is on the sensor or the sensor is the problem, common causes this new will be dosing kalk near the sensor, that can blind it in days from build up, foam collecting and drying on the sensor from drains or a skimmer, a source of infrared light (grow light spectrum lighting), or the sensor or a wire not being secure, if the sensor is not twist locked in and leans against the magnet, a film of water trapped there will keep it from working, the same can happen if a wire is against the sensor. If this is a new set up, dust from rock and sand can also cake up and blind the sensor. The sensor should be cleaned as needed by a 1 hour vinegar soak, never scrub or scrape it as any scratches can ruin it.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light was on? Red too low means the pump timed out, this can be from needing more than a couple gallons, it can also be the pump had air trapped in it and could not prime or the pump maybe bad. Green level light means something is on the sensor or the sensor is the problem, common causes this new will be dosing kalk near the sensor, that can blind it in days from build up, foam collecting and drying on the sensor from drains or a skimmer, a source of infrared light (grow light spectrum lighting), or the sensor or a wire not being secure, if the sensor is not twist locked in and leans against the magnet, a film of water trapped there will keep it from working, the same can happen if a wire is against the sensor. If this is a new set up, dust from rock and sand can also cake up and blind the sensor. The sensor should be cleaned as needed by a 1 hour vinegar soak, never scrub or scrape it as any scratches can ruin it.
OK, so the level green light was the only light on at the time. I did not twist lock the sensor in place. after I did that it went to just the green light for pump on. Green pump on light is where it should be?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The level light is green, the pump on light is yellow. Anytime the cone is out of water the yellow light should come on, the water level it will maintain is marked on the magnet holder.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back